1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do we seriously not have an entire thread dedicated to STEAK until now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

So, how do you feel about steak?

If I could fuck a steak, I would, I love it that much.

What cuts are your favorite?

Without a doubt, prime rib and ribeyes.

How do you like it cooked?

Medium rare, always, heavy sear on the outside. Like Borla, it has to be warm the whole way through. Needs to be just on the rosy side of pink for me, especially if I'm going the prime rib with aus jus route.

What do you like to have with it?

Sauteed mushrooms and occasionally blue cheese. I also like to use some Worcestershire on the cheaper cuts. As a side, I'm a loaded baked potato kind of guy, but will usually wait until the steak is done. I don't like mingling flavors tainting my test buds when I've got a great steak.

Where are your favorite places to have steak?

I'm not terribly picky here, as I find it's as much chance as anything. One of the best steaks I've ever had was a ribeye at a Texas Roadhouse in Bristol, TN. I've also had some lame ducks at Ruth's Chris. Anywhere with a mellow atmosphere, few distractions, and great beer suffices for me.

2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

how easy is it to buy tri-tips where you are? Seriously, it is almost impossible in Toronto. And it is about 7.99/lb

I just went to Ruth's Chris steakhouse in San Antonio, TX. Had a petite (8oz) filet Mignon. It was done Pittsburgh style (Black & Blue). It was done to perfection. In the US, the cut seems to be USDA Prime, which seems to be about as good as Canadian AAA, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. One piece of trivia that I learned is that the owner of the two Ruth's Chris in San Antonio also owns the two in Toronto area. And she only owns four altogether. What were the chances?

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Go to a butcher shop and ask for it. Lots of places may not display it, but have it if you ask.

4. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Medium rare, always. Like Borla, it has to be hot the whole way through. Needs to be just on the rosy side of pink for me.

chandalier monkey-fucking aside...
    Cheesy mashed potatoes with a fat square of butter, a dusting of salt, some motherfuckin grilled asparagus, salted, 44oz of Fat Tire and a hot slice of some goddam apple pie. 'Mericuh. Fuck Yeah.

assuming "the front of my bikini briefs" is an unacceptable answer...
    At my mom's house on the back concrete porch sometime around midnight with nobody around except my dogs and my radio. something that good and that perfect deserves the attention that i can't give if i'm chatting with people. not to mention steak is a huge comfort food and i'm most comfortable when i'm by myself most of the time.

5. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

Near as I can tell, most places outside of California don't consider tri-tip to be a desirable cut, which is why it is so hard to find. Tri-tip is common in California. If I watch the sales I can sometimes pick it up for 1.99 a pound untrimmed. It is almost always available. California Central Coast is known for Santa Maria style tri-tip. Any restaurants that grill or barbeque in Santa Barbara, Ventura or San Luis Obispo counties probably have tri-tip on the menu. Not quite as common at restaurants in Los Angeles, but still pretty easy to find.

A tri-tip is usually a 3 to 4 pound triangular cut of meat. It makes a decent steak, but it really shines as a roast. Lately, I've been oven roasting them, since it is probably the quickest and easiest preparation. Just trim excess fat, put a rub on it, stick a thermometer in it and roast at 325 until it hits 130. Once it reaches temp, pull it out and tent it with foil and wait for the temperature to drop. Internal temp will usually climb another 5 to 10 degree once it's tented. Once it drops a degree from it's peak, it's ready to slice.

One of the great things about tri-tip is that they are fairly uniform in size. I've got a pretty good size grill and I've cooked 6 at a time with minimal effort. Similar size makes for predictable cook times and makes it easy to stagger service.

6. Borla

I just had a buddy call me.

"Hey, you are the meat expert. What is the best way to marinate a steak for tonight."

"Don't."

"Huh? I'm wanting a good steak tonight and I want to know the best way to marinate it."

"Don't."

"Don't?"

"What cut is it and where is it at now?"

"NY Strip, it's defrosted but in the fridge"

"Then the best marinade is not to use one. If it's a cheaper cut, sure, but not a decent or good cut like NY Strip."

"What do I do then?"

"Take it out of the fridge now. Leave it wrapped up, but let it come to room temp. Put some garlic salt, some black pepper, and MAYBE some onion powder. If you want a little kick, a tiny pinch of chipolte pepper powder. After you cook it, let it rest for 5 minutes before you cut it. The two most important parts are to take it out of the fridge NOW and to let it rest after cooking."

"Wow, thanks."

I wonder if he'll listen. :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. LinaT14

LinaT14 Vertical

I love steak. But I don't eat it very often.
    Tenderloin. Then a nice aged ribeye. But I must say that Kobe beef is the best, most succulent beef I've ever had. It almost melts in your mouth.
    Has to be med-rare.
    Broccoli salad, or grilled asparagus or green beans; a roll and either garlic mashed potatoes or steak fries.
    Home.

8. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I assume we are talking about beefsteak? I like it, but dont eat it a lot because its quite expensive

I'm no expert, but I normally have a bit of rump steak or a bit of sirloin

Medium/Well. I don't like it blackened, but I also dont want to see it running red.

I think you just want to concentrate on the steak when you have one. Maybe some chips and a couple of onion rings, and a very cold Kronenberg

Probably at home. That way I can cook it how I like it.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I love steak. I can only eat it every once in awhile or it loses its yum.
    Filet mignon is about the only cut I can/will eat... I can't handle the fatty pieces.
    Pepper-pitt is my absolute favorite. At home, though, I rub it with a small amount of olive oil mixed with sriracha and rub in kosher salt and cracked pepper. Toss on the gril with charcoal, Alton-style and it's perfect.
    I love veggies... preferably with only seasonings, no oil or butter or anything. And if they're grilled (corn on the cob, asparagus, etc) even better.
    My house. Everyone else screws it up.

10. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

How do I feel about it? It excites me. My pulse quickens ever so slightly, my hands begin to tingle, I can feel the weight of a perfectly balanced knife in my hand. Yet it brings with it an undercurrent of melancholy because I cannot cook steak as well as the restaurants can.
    I tend to prefer it cooked medium. Rocked over a sexy hot wood fire, or on a flat-top is okay by me.
    I am in large part a sirloin kinda guy, had a few damn fine NY strips, porterhouse if I want to overindulge. I'll try anything, really.
    I tend to be pretty down-to earth when it comes to sides. Field greens salad, french onion soup, baked potato/sweet potato, grilled or sauteed mushrooms.
    We have a joint on the south side of Indianapolis called Bynum's Steakhouse. The service may be hit or miss, but the food is always awesone. They offer a 'sirloin for two', which just happens to be, if memory serves, a 42oz hunk of carne. Also, and you may scoff, but I love the steaks at Texas Roadhouse. The dining room is cramped and crowded, the tables are too close together, and the country music is so damned loud I can't hear the conversation half the time. But they conistently cook steaks exactly and perfectly to order, and I find the seasoning yummi.

11. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi Borla, I just found this thread.

Oh maaaaaan! that description and those pics in in your first post ... wiped me out. I know I'll be having some steak before long. As did the bagel thread cajole me in a bagel direction. I like steak well done ... no red inside, and the fat to be kind of crispy. I am not a steak connoisseur, but I do love it.

Oh, and your recipe for baked potatoes was mouth-watering.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Borla

If you live near Indy and want an awesome steak, you must try St. Elmo's. One of the best steak places in the Midwest. Whatever you do, get the shrimp cocktail appetizer (it's like no other shrimp cocktail in existence). I also recommend the King Crab Mac N Cheese as a side. :D

13. AlterMoose

Somehow, I don't know how I've not yet made it to St Elmo's, beside the fact that I despise driving downtown. And ever since I saw their shrimp cocktail featured on 'The Best Thing I Ever Ate' on Food Network, I've been desperate to try it. Me loves horseradish!

14. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I enjoy steak, I usually go for ribeye at the supermarket but will adjust my choices according to budget and sales. Honestly, though it has not been suggested in the thread I prefer to buy buffalo over beef when I have the opportunity to do so. Generally for myself I prefer my meat cooked medium but occasionally will lean to medium well at some restaurants that I know tend to undercook a bit. I love to top them with some good shrooms and as far as sides, whatever is seasonal for veggies is what I tend to veer towards.

Now here is my question for you steak guru's. I am not a well-done fan and I fail at cooking steak well done. It tends to come out too dry or too tough and it is definitely not my choice. I usually eat steak out more often than I cook it myself. My SO however has to eat his steak well done. It is probably in part due to my overcooking on the side of caution. Do any of you have any recommendations? Marinades? Is there a cut that tends to handle well done better?

15. AlterMoose

Mrs. Moose has made reservations at St Elmo's for our anniversary this week-end. :D I'll probably come back raving about it that night.

16. Borla

Good man. :D

Get the shrimp cocktail, that is a MUST. I also recommend the King Crab Mac n Cheese as a side. After that, you can't go wrong. However, if they have their Tomahawk Ribeye on special I'd suggest you get it. They also have Klinker Brick Old Ghost if you are into wine.

Regardless, I think you are in for a great experience. Please share your thoughts afterwards.

17. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

That chef/owner has a creative mind when it comes to putting words together. :D
    --- merged: Apr 22, 2012 at 7:55 PM ---
    That chef/owner has a creative mind when it comes to putting words together. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  18. Borla

If you are referring to either of the dishes I mentioned, they are described exactly as they are. The King Crab Mac N Cheese is an oblong bowl of mac n cheese covered with a pound (IIRC) of King Crab meat. The Tomahawk ribeye is a bone-in ribeye where the bone sticks so far out of the end that it looks like it is a tomahawk. Like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Holy shit, mate. That is absolutely beautiful. Love the marbling on it.

Hey Baraka_Guru , check this out. You've just found the perfect reason to stop that veganism stuff!

Though, what on earth is it with the 550 grams (!) of king crab meat in the mac'n'cheese? How many does it serve?

20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

A bygone Baraka would have loved to destroy that.

Some days I do get pangs of temptation. I'm normally a rather indulgent person, which is why I wasn't sure I'd be able to do this vegan thing. I sometimes think I'm not long for it, but then I come around and remember why I'm doing it.

You never know. I could be eating steak by this summer.

• Like Like x 1