1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do we seriously not have an entire thread dedicated to STEAK until now?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Baraka_Guru, if you are going to braise any beef, please make sure you are not braising rib-eyes or other grilling meats. Save braising for the tougher cuts of beef. Braising grilling meats only makes the meat tough.

I say this as a huge fan of braising.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I prefer A- 1 steak sauce .

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I only did the ribeye as a reheat method. As you can see above, I will perhaps use stewing beef for actual cooking when braising something. Ribeyes are certainly for grilling.

4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Steak! Meat! Steak!

1. 400g Angus beef steak that I cooked till Medium-Well with only a salt/pepper/olive oil marinade. The marbling on that piece of meat was beautiful, wish I'd taken a pic. And it tasted amazing... I want more. Now.

[​IMG]

2. Rack of Lamb. Imported from Australia. Again, wish I'd taken more pictures. SO cooked the rack in the oven, but I failed to ask what else she did with it. It was a delivious sight, and even better when in your mouth.

[​IMG]

5. Baraka_Guru

^Very nice. It's been a long time since I've had lamb.

I have a few New York strips sitting in the fridge. Anyone have any advice, tips, challenges?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remixer

Yeah, that rack of lamb was good stuff.

I challenge you to redeem your inner carnivore (that you so blatantly ignored with your pretend-veganism) and eat all of those New York strips, in one sitting.

7. Baraka_Guru

Raw?

8. Remixer

You mistake me for Borla

Cooked medium/well or well-done, with lots of gooey side dishes!

9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Remixer, I like it all except the medium well part. :p :D

See Post #12 of this thread. Everything you need to know is contained there. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

Yes, I realize that sirloins are less forgiving than ribeyes when it comes to degrees of doneness. I have in the past leaned towards medium rare or medium.

Do you have a version of this for gas grills?

/philistine

11. Borla

1-3 stay the same, except you'll be lighting your gas grill on step 2. 6,7 remain the same. Steps 1 and 6 are important ones too many people skip.

I'm assuming you have at least 3-4 heating elements in your gas grill? If so, crank them all up as high as they'll go when doing step two. Let the grill get good and hot, with plenty of time to make sure the grates are very hot too. For some high end grills this is only 5-6 mins, for others it might take 2-3x that long. As you throw the steaks on, turn down all but one element at the end to low (or maybe 2 elements if you have 5 or more). Put the steaks over the element still cranked up to hi. After 90-120 seconds or so, flip them. After 90-120 seconds more, move them off to the side that you turned down to low earlier, and turn down the burner that was on high as well. Let them cook on the lower heat anywhere from 2-4 mins on each side, depending on desired doneness. To make them pretty I always set them down 90* offset of the previous grill marks.

12. Baraka_Guru

Okay, okay... (I can see your avatar shaking his head already)...

I have a small gas grill that uses a single element throughout. Assuming I have only one temperature control for the whole grill, what do you recommend I try doing alternatively?

I'm essentially searing the meat before cooking it to my preferred degree of doneness, right? That's what this is all about, isn't it?

I did sear the ribeyes I cooked last time, but maybe I needed to do it hotter. I also needed to cook it on lower temp and maybe a bit shorter overall as well.

13. Borla

Obviously you need a new grill. A cheap Weber-style kettle would be best, or even a bit bigger gas grill. :p

But barring those possibilities I'd crank that little sucker up as high as it will go. Let it get hot for 20 mins or better. Then throw the steak on (don't forget Step 1!) for 90 seconds on each side. Then drop the grill down to low or med/low and cook it for maybe 2 or 2 1/2 minutes per side (reducing this time because your grill will still be hotter than I described above).

Alternately, if you have a good oven with a broiler and a nice cast iron skillet, you might be better served using that. You can make a pretty awesome steak in a cast iron skillet in an oven with a broiler.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Dang .. I wish I'd thought to take a picture of my recent treats!

OK ... yesterday and Sunday .. Rib eye.

The 'big deal' for me here is that for the last few weeks I have been perfecting the 'chaconburger' as part of my making food interesting during my diet.

But on Sunday, I'd gone to afternoon church which meant getting very drunk and my inhibitions disappeared, and as I walked home, I thought "STEAK" ... just like that, in capital letters, like Pratchett's Death. My life suddenly had no other choices. I Drunk-Marched to Tescos - you know, that late-night Drunk-Munchie hunt mood. I got to the meat section and there was a twin pack of ribeye.

Long story short ... got home and did a Drunk-Cooking event. Kind of psycho-wide eyed concentration with a background hand on the tiller to prevent damage to kitchen, food or self.

Frying pan. Two minutes searing per side and four minutes on low per side. Well done and beaut.
    Meanwhile, a selection of vegetables roasted without oil or anything. Including baked garlic head = pull loose leaves/skins of garlic head, do a straight slice across the top of all the cloves without smashing them away from the root of the stalk. Put in oven for 20 minutes. Loadsa soft, sweet cloves. to gnaw at. And a few new potatoes.
    The sauce was fried mushrooms with 'wild mushroom cup of soup mix' poured on them then a little added water. When the steak was done, that mixture was thrown into the frying pan to blend with meat juices

TWO DAYS RUNNING ...... ahhhhhhhhhh ... this was a treat of treats, and remained firmly within my calorie limit. Oh ... and I layered it with two slices roast chicken, one slice smoked back bacon and one slice ham = Scheackhamonburger.
    If it wasn't for the fact that I've just downed a beaut Moussaka, I'd be feeling envious of my last two days!

15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

16. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

My favorite is a good rib steak. Unless I happen to be someplace where I know for sure they are superb at grilling meat, I prefer a bone-in rib steak, as they are, I find, much more difficult to ruin. Myself, I always try to make a bone-in rib steak if I'm grilling, since I am a decent, but not excellent grill chef.

When I usually make a steak, though, it's chuck steak. Considerably cheaper than ribeye or bone-in rib steak, and just as tasty, especially if marinated well. I usually marinate mine in some red wine with a couple of cloves of garlic, olive oil, a dash of worcestershire sauce, and a slice of apple. I season them well with pepper and a very tiny amount of sea salt before stovetop grilling or broiling.

17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Y'all would hate to cook a steak for my wife. It has taken me over 27 years to get her accept a steak, or even a hamburger patty, that is even slightly pink. My mood turns extremely foul if I accidently overcook my steak while attempting to overcook her steak. When we had a decent habachi I got very good at adjusting the coals and the racks.

18. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Can't beat a rib steak as far as I'm concerned. I get along fine with a rib-eye, no bone necessary. I've had good sirloin steaks at restaurants, but mine always turn out tough. Common here in Nebraska is a cut called 'flatiron' which has great texture, tender, but not as fatty as ribeye.

When I lived in Boston I found this great little hibachi at a place called The Vermont Country Store, in Weston, VT. Here's their website:
    Cast-Iron Hibachi Grill | Table Top Barbecue
    It is the perfect size for steakes for two. It gets nice and hot without using half a bag of charcoal.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Borla

I love flat iron steak.

20. It's a tofu steak.

[​IMG]