1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Do we still think pot is harmless?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SirLance, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

See, my feeling is that I would actually rather purchase it legally, and pay the taxes on it, because in addition to preferring to be law-abiding when possible, I actually feel that taxing marijuana is a good revenue source for the country, which is sorely in need of revenues for social programs.

• Like Like x 3
  2. omega

omega Very Tilted

So now that you have a legal option are you buying weed that way or are you supporting a criminal enterprise?

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Why oh why would anybody answer that question at all if they're buying weed illegally?

It's going to take a while for the market to balance out. Based on the info provided--If an ounce purchased illegally for $280.00 would cost over $670.00 at a licensed store (not taking into account any discounts for bulk purchase), where do you think people are going to buy their weed?

4. omega

omega Very Tilted

Maybe because one is a criminal action, and the other is a legal enterprise. Maybe some people do the right thing because it's simply the right thing to do. People say they wanted legal drugs. If they continue to turn to illegal sources, then what is the point? Why not just buy stolen car parts? Or stereo equipment? Why not steal cable, or electricity? Those last two are practically victimless crimes.

5. Chris Noyb

I think that most people are honest and law abiding, in general. If somebody has a safe connection/dealer whose pot is 1.5/2 times cheaper than the legal store, I don't see them jumping at the chance to pay more just because it's legal. I don't toke, have no intention of starting again anytime soon, but I support the idea of being able to grow your own for personal use.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

^^^Yup, this.

If people really don't want to pay taxes and fees on legal pot bought from stores, then they should be free to grow small amounts for personal use only. Then, the taxes and fees are essentially just the price you pay if you are uninterested in putting in the effort of growing and drying a couple of plants yourself, but would prefer someone else to do it.

To me, that would seem to leave small room for complaints.

7. omega

omega Very Tilted

The question wasn't whether someone was willing to grow his own, the question was whether cj was going to buy black market drugs. There is a difference. In Colorado, people can grow their own. But law enforcement officers there are more likely to find kids holding pot than alcohol. Warehouses grow it, but there is no oversight. So stuff just slips away. Into the alleys, into the wrong people's hands.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hey, it's going to be legal here in Oregon on July 1st. The OLCC is in charge of figuring out a licensing system for dispensaries; they have until January of 2016 to figure out how to do it. In the window between July 1st, 2015 and January, 2016, people can grow their own. I'm interested to see how Oregon deals with legalization.

And this video, in which grandmas smoke marijuana, is pretty funny: WATCH: Grandmas smoking weed for the first time - Boing Boing

• Like Like x 2
  9. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I have never taken the position that pot should be illegal. I believe in informed choice.

I hear so many people, particularly young people, take the position that it is absolutely harmless. But it isn't. Not everyone who uses pod will have a psychotic break, just as not everyone who uses alcohol Will get cirrhosis of the liver. It could happen, but it may not.

If you choose to use it, understand that you may have a bad experience. Don't say it's harmless, And don't run around telling everyone you know that it is harmless. Misinformation is what is screwing up for debate.

10. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Not everyone who uses peanut butter will have an allergic reaction, just as not everyone who goes to college will get sexually assaulted. It could happen, but it may not.

11. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

If you are allergic to peanut butter, you know it.

You cannot predict whether or not you will have a bad reaction to a drug like THC, because it may not happen for years.

It is not my position that people should not use THC, it is my position that they should make an informed choice about using THC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. omega

omega Very Tilted

You just compared pot to peanut butter and college. I didn't know you were a Republican.

13. Chris Noyb

Pot isn't harmless. It's a matter of personal responsibility. Some people will abuse it, some people won't.

Then there's also addictive personalities. Some people don't know they have a problem. Others will ignore it, or rationalize it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

One of the concerns expressed here is kids getting their hands on pot. I don't the legalization of pot causing an increase in use among teenagers. If they want pot, they're going to get it, be it illegally from a "street dealer," or illegally from a legal store that doesn't ask questions. The pot might be grown legally or illegally. Yes, pot is going to go missing from legal farms and legal stores, just the same as booze goes missing from breweries & distilleries.

Some growers and distibutors will follow the letter of the law and keep accurate records, some won't. I could see the cost of having strict government oversight (micromanaging, so to say) the growing & distribution of legal pot being way too high (an unintentional pun).

15. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Or they will steal their parent stash like my brother did from my dad.
    He said, "What's he going to say? You stole my stash?"
    Damned if Dad didn't didn't drag us all home and ground us for that.
    You don't mess with your parents stash.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Quote from a party I attended this summer:

"The kids are out in the garage smoking pot" ... "Dammit, it's MY pot they're smoking"

Note that the kids in this case are all >21.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris Noyb

I had a friend in high school who would sneak a J or two from his dad's stash, but he was careful not do so when dad's stash got low. One night we got really drunk (teenagers & Bacardi 151 don't mix well) and when I dropped him at home another friend passed out laying half on the curb & half in the street. He was a big guy, out cold, & we couldn't budge him. My friend's parents let us crash there, and his mom served us menudo for breakfast. Which apparantly is common hanover cure with latinos. I don't remember how we managed to get him into the house, or what I told my parents regarding being out all night. The friend also wore bib overalls when the fashion de jour was designer jeans and disco shirts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IanBrianna

IanBrianna New Member

It doesn't matter. What harms individuals, and society, are sumptuary laws attempting to regulate lifestyles, where there is no direct correlation with violence or social disorder. The symptom of such harm is the paralyzing of society into chronic suppression and unjust imprisonment. If I am not harming or risking harm to someone else, then the things I do are my own affair. As the late conservative commentator William F. Buckley remarked "We may as well legalize it; they're going to smoke the stuff." He cruised out beyond the five-mile limit and tried some himself. He said what most people have said who have made the experiment: "I don't see what all the fuss is about." So forget about whether or not you are harming yourself by smoking marijuana. And forget about whether other people are harming themselves by doing it!

19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The interesting thing is the change in the dynamic as the mindset fluxes.
    People are starting to take different angles and approaches on it.

Pot Pie, Redefined? Chefs Start to Experiment With Cannabis

So it an enhancement to taste within foods as liquor is??

I don't know, I wouldn't oppose it...but I would believe you'd have to be more careful.
    Liquor translates differently when cooked.
    Pot eaten actually has a stronger high affect, from what I understand.

I'd hate to have a bad trip on my pot pie.
    But I don't know...I haven't tried it that way. (I know I don't like smoking it...and yes, I've tried it a few times...didn't do anything for me)
    Interesting.

I wonder how other things will change??

20. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Pot has a completely different affect when ingested. It lasts up to 12 hours, is more efficient for pain relief and is more of a body high.

And yes, you do taste it (I think mostly as a slight aftertaste) but I think it really depends on how the item was made etc etc.

I would not ever want to eat something with pot in it without knowing - because of the length of the high.

I ate a cheeba chew one night before a business trip. I was so stoned the next morning I'm shocked I made it to the airport. IMHO, medibles need to be used more carefully.

Chefs incorporating it into foods could be interesting, but again, I'd want to know up front.