1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Do we still think pot is harmless?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SirLance, Sep 20, 2014.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

The only time I ever hallucinated from marijuana was by eating it.
    My ex made a pan of brownies and having no idea of the proper methods to making them had ground a lid up very fine to mix in with the flour instead of making pot butter.
    Needless to say they turned out a very weird color and tasted nasty.
    Most of the pan sat around for a while until one day I came home from working a very bad double shift and proceeded to eat most of it out of sheer cussedness.
    I tried to go to sleep but started to see R. Crumb style cartoon characters walking around the apartment.
    It didn't last long but that was an interesting experience.
    I was still high four hours later.

Almost better than acid.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

No, it's not a flavor enhancer. If anything, the goal in cooking with cannabis is to cover up the taste, hence the frequent use of chocolate.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Cheeba Chews are insanely strong. Bet you didn't know that 1" or so Tootsie Roll was 4 doses. Standardizing dosage in edibles is something Colorado is working on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redravin

Really the best way for cooking is to make pot butter.
    Then you can use it in all kinds of recipes and it effect the taste dramatically.
    Since you are using it the same way you use butter there is the kind of infused fat and flavor that comes with it.
    This is a good instruction for making the butter.

Recipe: How To Make Basic Cannabis-Infused Butter - Leafly

• Like Like x 3
  5. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

In fact I did know that. They're deca doses. I have no idea what would happen if you are the entire chew at once. Half is my limit.

6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

It can last up to 25 hours if you're getting sick already or if the commies are in town and if the butter is done right. Or so I've heard. Ahem.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

It's good to use it in recipes requiring liquid butter or coconut oil, as it doesn't quite behave like solid butter. Using coconut oil in conjunction also goes a long way to cover up the flavor.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I would imagine the coconut oil in conjunction would be amazing.

But sometimes, I like to taste the flavor. Am I alone in this?

9. snowy

A little hint is fine.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I love the smell, anything past a hint of taste reminds me of bong water.

• Like Like x 2
  11. redravin

Sorry, I should have said that.

12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

It's not the billions of dollars spent on the drug war, that's what the government does...Right or Left...waste money. (but it "trickles-down" and back in again)
    It's all the people sent to prison...not the sellers, the random users.

A Hundred Years’ Failure
    How did a law to regulate heroin traffic turn into the costly, futile War on Drugs? (from Politico too, a not so liberal media outlet)

This has been worse than the years of alcohol prohibition.
    Even now, the US has the largest prison population in the world...mostly from drug-related charges.

Really, since they're slowing down on all the pot related laws and enforcement,
    they should do early release, for all those MJ usage and possession crimes.
    It will likely save money...restore lives for something as simple as pot...and bring under control the corporate prison industrial complex.
    We go from one slavery, to another.

I don't mind being strong on crime...but let's make it reflective of the impact.

We could always throw in all those white-collar criminals that cost us billions in the great recession.
    That may make them think twice to not fix the numbers.
    A million lost is a lot more significant than a plant grown or a toke smoked.

Hey, won't highly skilled workers in the prison systems be more valuable??
    They could do some data entry or accounting.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

View: http://youtu.be/iNPFyjnFbYw

"We don't need drugs to have fun.. But why take chances" -Bill Maher ;)

I didn't realize that eating it was different then smoking it. Since I would never smoke anything, it would be nice to know how this would work. Although I haven't tried any yet.

I think there is a right way to legalize it and allow society to still function. And arresting people and giving them criminal records for the rest of their life for having a few ounces is really bad.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Oh hell yes. I met a guy who felt that I was too uptight about my sobriety, & the smartass suggested that he might slip me something for laughs. I told him that my being "out of my mind on drugs" given to me by him without my consent would help my defense after I beat the shit out of him, and I would use a weapon. I don't normally talk to people that way, but he deserved it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. redravin

In high school an all round asshole thought it would be a grand idea to slip some LSD into a girls drink.
    Her friend called me (because I was considered the crazy one who knew about that kind of stuff), so I got some friends together we went over to spend the evening making it pleasant for her so she'd have a nice trip.
    Two of the guys I brought, however, took dickless out in the back yard pulled his clothes off and left him -- in January, in Alaska.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  16. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

There are rumors that The Grateful Dead used to throw parties and smear LSD on the handrail in the front of the house. Then they would offer you some finger food...

17. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

If true, that's fucked up.
    I don't mind someone partaking themselves, but to inflict it on others without their acknowledgement and/or knowledge is a VERY dick move.
    Consent is king.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I first tried cannabis 39 years ago and it was a much different experience then than now. Firstly, one never knew the quality of it until you smoked it. Mostly it was pretty mild. That's why if you wanted to get really wasted, you'd add a little hashish to the leafy, green stuff.
    For awhile, hash was preferred over weed--at least in north central Connecticut, where I lived until age 18.
    Pot quality varied a lot after I moved to California, but I had a close friend that could get reliably good stuff. I have some really good memories of sitting around after work or school, stoned, watching MASH with him and other friends. Kind of like "Cheers," but on futons instead of barstools.

The downside was the actual smoking which now, thanks to the wonders of technology, is not necessary to get results. I use a good-quality vaporizer. I do actually like the taste of good weed, but I don't enjoy eating it to get high.
    I prefer to see what I'm ingesting. I start very conservatively and give it time so I can judge. There was a learning curve with the vaporizer, but I've gotten the hang of it.

Over last summer, I met a Vancouver-based entrepreneur who ships high-quality strains of cannabis to anywhere in Canada (NOT to the US). He does an initial consultation on the phone to determine your needs. At that point, I knew the effects that I preferred which are basically two: either the kind of cannabis that gives me energy and makes me enjoy cleaning things or the kind that gets me wasted (and horny) and after I come down I want to sleep. So one for daytime, one for night: 'Sativa' and 'Indica'.
    There are hybrids of these two basic groups--as well as many strains within the two groups.
    I'm not an expert, but the internet can tell you all about it.

Here, back in the States, I don't have a source that I'm comfortable with but in two weeks I'm headed to Colorado and will stop in a little store that I've scoped out. It's the closest one to the area in AZ that I'm moving to later this year.
    Since neither my health nor the cannabis is cheap, I've invested in a couple of vaporizers. The cannabis is heated but does not burn. There's no smoke involved and I only get to taste the first inhalation. After that, it's pretty tasteless and surprisingly, odor-free. You get a lot of bang for your buck tho, as I've discovered that you can reheat the "leftovers" until they have browned up completely.
    So, as a non-drinker I'm pretty ecstatic that I'll be able to have the right to entertain myself in the privacy of my abode. Honestly, I thought it would have happened decades ago but given the power of the tobacco industry, that was a rather quaint assumption.

I've already answered the OP's question upthread. Cannabis is not harmless but after decades of scrutinizing it, it seems that biggest risks to most healthy adults is smoke inhalation. Because I do like the taste, if I were enjoying partaking with friends (currently, I partake alone) I might take a toke or three but otherwise, my smoking days are behind me. If someone asked, I would advocate first educating yourself about what you are putting in your body, then deciding the safest way to do so.