1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Carry Your Gun with a Round in the Chamber?

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by cynthetiq, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

C'mon. Hacksaw. It's a throwaway piece anyway, brother.

You use it to exact angry mustache justice and then you anchor that baby offshore where nobody will find it.

/what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico, amiright?

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Mexico's much like Jersey... anythings legal as long as you don't get caught. Only here if you get caught you should probably know the Spanish version of "you sure do have a pretty mouth."

3. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

S&W 38 Revolver, Body Guard. Always ready and I like how light and easy it is to handle.

Always have the shotgun loaded in the bedroom, was always afraid that if we ever got an intruder I would shoot one of my kids with the revolver. I have a friend that told me to try out beanbag rounds for the shotgun. Pretty cool shooting bowling pins tied across the range with them. :D

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

The nice thing about the scatter gun bedroom defense tactic is everyone knows what sound "racking a round" makes... and what it means.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Haven't heard that term in a long while "scatter gun". :)

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Oh, the horrible, horrible urban pump shotgun legend continues.

The racking noise being sufficient enough to deter an attacker.

The less-lethal round gimmick (fell victim to that one myself).

It's okay, even reasonable people are fooled into these ideas.

/this should go in another thread

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Yes, you have to actually rack the round, yes you have to be fully prepared to use that round (and it's friends if the need should arise), and yes you have to aim.

Happy?

Yippie, good for you. Now shut the fuck up.

8. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Vertical

I'm not posting pics on the internet :) The nighthawk is, without a doubt, a better shot than I am.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I get that a lot. No idea why.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Um... yeah, of course.

11. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

What the hell? A Mossberg isn't drop safe? I would have imagined the spring on the firing pin took care of that.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

Is a racking shotgun going to stop everyone? No. Is it more effectI've than saying " I've got a gun"? Probably. It also demonstrates that you have lost the element of surprise. So rack that thing. But then be prepared to use it. Lethally. If they make it. To the point where you can shoot them, they deserve to die. Castle defense.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I'm not shooting someone simply because they entered my private space. I'm not ending someones life without making an attempt to find out "what the hell is going on?" I've been situations where using lethal would have been legal, yes I would have had some paper work to complete and desk duty until several things were worked out. Paper work and an investigation had nothing to do with my decisions "in the moment."

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Home defense plan?

I like to rack my pump action shotgun half a dozen times, once in each corner of the room and twice under the bed. Even though it totally empties the magazine onto the floor, it makes it sound like there's a goddamn Old West card game going on in my bedroom at 3 AM and all the players look like bandoleer-wearing banditos with Winchester '97s. Then I don my LED headlamp and get out one of those old wooden train whistles that kids had back in the '70s and pull a Roadrunner on their Wile E. Coyote while I call 911 and wait for the cops to show up and straight ninja the bad guys.

Also:

This thread title totally reminded me...

/ run-on sentences like whoa + Bodkin van Troll

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Walt

Walt Vertical

Why shoot someone straight out when you could just ball gag them in the basement and inform Zed that the spider has caught a couple of flies? Thems that die be the lucky ones, eh Tully?

• Like Like x 1
  16. omega

omega Very Tilted

That's why you carry two shotguns in the house, one to work the pump and the other to shoot with. I'm not advocating blowing away just anybody in the house. If you catch some kid in the garage with a handful of tools and he screams and runs away when he sees your gun, don't shoot him. But if you chamber a round and yell out that you have a gun and you are calling 911 and he says he doesn't care and keeps coming, then feel free to defend yourself. He has made his decision.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

...how many hands do you have?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

If you're the Kraken I'd think there would be no need for firearms.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I had a redneck buddy that used to joke about his favorite home defense procedure:

1: Hear an intruder.
    2: Get flashlight, .45 (one in the pipe, safety on), cellphone, setup camp in bedroom dead space (corner across from primary door hinge).
    3: Scream "Tie him up, tie him up! Get the dildo, get the dildo!" in a Southern drawl so thick you can climb it freehand.
    4: Let out a couple of rebel yells and slam on the wall a few times with your free hand.
    5: Scream "I got it! I got it! Let's see if it fits!"
    6: ???
    7: Profit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

That's hilarious.

I have a friend who own a dive shop near the Mexico/Belize border. His shop is really out in the middle of nowhere, my kind of place. Couple years ago while out on the boat he got a call on the radio his staff caught two kids trying to rip-off his gear locker. On the ride back he taught me to say "about the same as iguana." He told me when we got back he was going to ask me a question and that's how I should answer it and i should smile real big. Fine. I made sure I had the simple phase down. We got back and found two 20 something kids tied up to the dive compressor (about 3000lbs.) My friend who's normally mild mannered turned into "Psycho dude." He got a knife out and just threatening them with it. After a lot of yelling he looked at me and asked something. Still don't know exactly what it was, he said it so fast. I smiled and gave my answer. The two captives look freaked, by this time I pretty much knew what was happening. The police showed up and took the two, now very white faced, Mexican boys away. I asked "basically what'd you tell then then." "I told them your were with the CIA and use to get info out of terrorists. I told them you thought it was fun to cut out one eye ball and tape the other one open so they had to watch you while you ate it. If you didn't get the info you wanted you moved farther down the body to other small round body parts." I see him all the time he says he's never seen those boys again.

• Like Like x 4