1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do you grill, bbq, smoke?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 3, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We've grilled three times recently! This seems unusual for April.

A week ago, I did portobello mushrooms stuffed with pesto and mozzarella. They were freaking delicious. Then, we did veggie skewers with friends on Saturday along with some veggie burgers, followed by grilled pizza on Sunday.

My Weber kettle is getting a workout. I need to buy more charcoal. I also need a steak. Mmmm, steak.

• Like Like x 2
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sigh. I'm going to have to transition to using a small propane grill all the time. :( It's an older Weber Go Anywhere: Weber Go Anywhere Portable Propane & Charcoal Grills | Weber.com It was Grandma and Grandpa's before they decided they were done traveling and didn't need a portable grill anymore; it's still in great shape because everything Grandpa ever owned he took fantastic care of. We frequently use it for camping, but I'm going to have to adjust to using it at home. I may have to purchase a new grill surface for it.

3. omega

omega Very Tilted

20121225_152515.jpg
    You mean like this? I don't often smoke because of the time and effort, but I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I made some candied bacon on mine over the weekend. That stuff is like crack.

5. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Yum. How did you do it?

6. Borla

Very thick cut bacon, brown sugar, and cayenne.

Put a thin layer of brown sugar down in a 9"x13" foil pan. Lightly sprinkle cayenne pepper powder on it. Put a layer of the bacon down with the pieces close together or touching, but not overlapping. Put another layer of brown sugar down and more cayenne. Repeat until you have 3-6 layers of bacon with a layer of brown sugar and cayenne powder between each, and a layer of brown sugar and cayenne on top and bottom of the entire thing.

Have your smoker at about 275-300* and place the pan in it, making sure the heat is offset enough that it won't be direct on the bottom of the pan. Let it smoke like that for about an hour, depending on how many layers and how thick the bacon is. Eventually the brown sugar will melt and combine with the bacon grease into a syrupy consistency. After an hour or so turn up the heat just a bit until they syrupy goodness is starting to bubble, but not so hot anything is sticking to the bottom. At this point you can start moving the bacon around in the pan and making sure all sides of each piece are getting coated. Give it 10-15 minutes like this, then remove the bacon from the pan and flash it on direct heat for 10-30 seconds per side. This caramelizes the brown sugar completely and gives it a candied crust.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

OMG sounds awesome. And easy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Borla

It is awesome, and it isn't too difficult.

You could probably do it in the oven, but I think the smoker adds a great depth of flavor. I typically use cherry wood in the smoker when doing it.

9. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

You are reading my mind. Stop it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Borla, when I grow up I wanna be just like you..

Sounds awesome!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

By the way, oven made candied bacon is the schizz.

12. omega

omega Very Tilted

So I'm thinking of getting the char griller kamado kooker from Lowe's. The $300 one. Same idea as the big green egg. Obviously it's not the same thing, but it looks functional. Instead of real ceramic walls, it's double steel, insulated. Price is certainly better than the bge. Anyone have experience with the kamado?

13. Borla

I know several people who have gotten them. It is the same principle as the BGE, but the price difference does come with some disadvantages. However, it is still a decent choice, especially if you are mainly going to grill. For serious smokers, there are a few DIY upgrades that are recommended (gasket improvements and the like) that can be easily found online.

There are decent write ups online for a hardcore comparison if you search. (I'd recommend reading 3-4 of them before forming a strong opinion, as most of them seem biased in one direction or another to me. )

14. omega

omega Very Tilted

Well I would mostly be barbecuing with it. I had read about sealing the vents. I think it would certainly be more efficient than the big offset smoker I was using. So hard to control temperature with it. Would I like a big green egg? Yes. Would I like most of the performance for les than a third the cost? I believe so. I figure its like the difference between a Subaru sti vs a Porsche 911.

15. Borla

Fwiw, most BGE dealers around here were willing to negotiate price quite a bit. Especially if you get some accessories, which you'd need with either set up. I would have to go dig up exactly what I paid for my entire package, but it was about 30% off of retail IIRC. Not sure if that makes enough of a difference for you.

But yeah, I think the Kamado would be a big step up from an offset. Especially if smoking stuff is not the primary use.

16. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

what is it called when you put shortribs in a cast iron skillet and throw that in the oven?

17. cis689

cis689 Slightly Tilted

Seared-Bake :p

18. Absolutely love grilling! It's my preferred method of cooking. Smoking has not been much of an option, I live in very closely confined suburban area (think townhouses but a little bit more cramped). Ever since I found out that marinating meat in beer can reduce carcinogenic build up, I've been brewing a German black beer to keep on hand for marinating.

Source: Beer Marinade Reduces Cancer Hazard from Grilled Meat | Diet & Exercise

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  19. omega

omega Very Tilted

So I got the chargriller acorn last night and set it up. Currently have racks of baby back ribs on it,cooking for tonight's dinner. I'm really happy with how consistent I have gotten the heat to stay. According to the built in thermometer, I am right at 250 degrees. And staying locked on. I did put a square pizza stone over the coals and under the rack after a little while. Apparently that helps diffuse the direct heat from having the coal pile under the meat. We'll see how it tastes in several hours.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Borla

Did you season the grates first?

And the pizza stone is a good, almost necessary idea if you don't have the plate setter accessory for it.

If you get serious about smoking, you'll probably want to get a more accurate thermometer. Maverick makes several models with dual probes (one for the meat, one for ambient smoker temp) at various price points dependent on the range/features. They are pretty solid units.

Though I have a BGE, the basic principles are the same as the Akorn, and I have quite a few buddies with Akorns. If I can do anything to help, let me know. :cool: