1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

do you live with abandon?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, May 22, 2014.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What does living with abandon mean to you?
    Do you live like there's no tomorrow?
    Have you ever thrown caution to the wind and just gone for your dreams?

There's a song that is pretty cheesy that was playing on the Christian rock station when I was at the dentist yesterday. It really got me thinking though. Ever since my daughter was born, I have made a conscious effort to treat every second with her as precious. But I don't know that I do that elsewhere in my life. When I think about living like I could die tomorrow, I want to be more organized - quite the opposite of living with "abandon.". I want my work to be left in a state that any one could pick it up and run with it. I want everyone I love to know how I feel about them, and I want to send letters so they have tangible proof in my own writing so they know I care.

It's got to be different for everyone.
    Share your thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

#YOLO.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As I've gotten older, it's gotten easier to just go for it and take chances. That said, there is generally a tomorrow. Tomorrow might have a hangover, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've done plenty of stupid shit, does that count?

For the most part, I'm pretty calculating and plan everything in excruciating detail. For better or worse, I married a woman that is exactly the opposite. We tend to drive each other nuts; but it seems to work (usually). She makes me stop and smell the roses, I ensure that it is possible.

I take risks and do things that would appear to be wild. Generally, there is a fair degree of thought and risk assessment that might not be obvious.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

That sounds like us, but his impulsiveness is tempered by the fact that he is an engineer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I used to live care free, but I havent in a while. I remember what it was like to be that way and it was awesome. I canged once my daughter was born. maybe i shouldnt have?? who knows, but after some conversation with someone, i will proablly start living like that again. it might be good for me.
    my wife on the other hand has just always gone with the flow of things with me

• Like Like x 3
  6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I think it has to be a balance.

Take chances, make mistakes and get messy is a good way to live, but it can also be a recipe for disaster.

• Like Like x 4
  7. snowy

I'd agree with that. There is a time and a place to fly by the seat of your pants.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

I use to, before I got married and had kids. I had lots of fun, but really I was a mess. I wouldn't go back to those days even if you paid me. I really try to be laid back and go with the flow of things, outside of my parenting.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Abandon? No.
    Calculated risk taking? Yes.
    It's my husband's job to take giant leaps and think with his head and heart at the same time.
    I don't have that capability. I savor things a lot. I also freak out... a lot.
    I can't function in abandon-land.

10. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

As I've grown older, I've found it much harder to live with abandon. It's not so much the age, it's more a question of increasing responsibility. When I was single and in my 20s, I only had to answer to myself, so it was much easier.

After marrying, I had a responsibility to my wife. Then my daughter came along, and I had a responsibility to her. I think children make a huge difference, because you want to be a role model to them. And, if you're gonna talk the talk, you damn well have to walk the walk.

When my wife lost her job 10 years ago, I became the sole wage earner and I felt even more responsibility. And, in my work life, the responsibility has grown as my career has advanced. I feel a need to set a professional example to my direct reports and my co-workers because of my position.

So, the concept of living with abandon is more of an image of my past, receding in the rear view mirror. Perhaps, I'll have the chance to recapture it someday....

• Like Like x 3
  11. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I grew up sort of flying by the seat of my pants. My family was impulsive (not in a bad way) and it was great.

I don't have the same kind of disposable income to live the way I grew up. I'm ok with that. It's not as fun, but it makes me feel secure. So, there's that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I wish I did more 'living with abandon'. I follow people's blogs on-line who are doing that. And it is good to see that it isn't always perfect, but it is much more interesting than my life. Could I live on a sail boat and cruise around Europe, South America, and North America? Could I backpack and travel the world? Could I go on 1,000 mile no-gas adventures? Yes, but I would worry about the money running out at some point and the problem with relationships. Not that I don't have the same problems with my life in the 9-5 job world however...

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Everytime.
    IF...I have the time, money & discretion.
    Being a grownup sucks.

If allowed...I'm like Robin Williams on a roll... :D
    **and it doesn't interfere with my Mad Scientist plan to take over the world. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  14. desal75

desal75 New Member

Live for the moment (as long as you're not hurting anyone's feelings)

You can always make more money but you never can make more time or opportunities

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

No, it's not in my nature. I've always had my seconds thoughts first (even though that didn't always stop me from doing risky & stupid things).

The people I've known who were truly adventureous were also boom-or-bust. When they succeeded they were flush, when they failed they were totally bust. I personally don't know of anyone who blindly followed their passions and made a go of it.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I don't know. I guess living with abandon means living without attachment. I guess this would attachments to ideals, expectations, norms, etc.

We're supposed to get educated, get a career, get married, get a house, a car or two, a kid or two or three, and then you've got to secure it all, keep it happy. Then you've found success. Right?

I have a couple of those things, at least. I suppose it's a result of living one foot grounded, the other in a place of abandon. I'm terrible for flip-flopping, avoiding decisions, not making commitments, not pursuing things. A lot of that is rooted in my psychology, but it's also rooted in my perceptions of "normal."

I can't do this, I can't do that...because who does that?

I'm now getting to a point where I'm much closer to abandon than attachment, and it's keeping me from staying grounded. I'm not sure if this will lead me to throw caution to the wind to pursue my dreams, but it certainly has put me in a position where it won't be that difficult to do so.

My dreams are probably unlike the dreams of many of those around me. It's part of the attachment/abandon equation.

If only I'd get out of my own way: Everything is sitting right there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Bob Franke? I wouldn't call him "cheesy", but I can imagine a Christian station playing his music.

18. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Read this yesterday.
    Sounds like she made a lot of sacrifices to live life on her terms.

Saw her in a documentary about the Star Trek captains (being real with the actors)
    She's a gritty sort of person. (smart, urbane...but gritty)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  20. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Most of my life has been spent with thoughtful consideration and organization, taking into account myself and others in my various families. However, after loving that bipolar dude for 7-10 years, my life included lots of carefree livin with nary a care, things were fab! Hedonism was the norm, and I liked it, bringing everyone along to have fun! It came to an end not abruptly, but slowly over time as often happens with love. However, add a shot of bipolar and it ends in flames as hot as it started. Ive spent the last year nursing those charred 3rd degree burns. It feels good to breathe again.

• Like Like x 2