1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Do you shop at COSTCO ?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by DAKA, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I don't shop at Nordstrom because the security people always follow me around :p, although I do have some Nordstrom clothing that wasn't purchased directly from them.

One of these days I'm going to visit Costco see what all they offer. A friend of ours who lives about 40 miles away has a membership.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

You really should, since I know you enjoy a bargain. Before you go, familiarize yourself with these codes:

Know the Secret Costco Price Codes to Save Even More Money

For those of us who are repeat shoppers, the asterisk is the one to really take note of.

3. Chris Noyb

Yes, I'm a cheapskate. I'm probably going to hit some thrift stores before our dinner reservation.

4. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I've never been, but my friends who have a membership have offered to take me to check it out anytime.

When they get back from the beach I'm going to take them up on it.

I saw a girl on FB who just bought some pretty fall clothes (and trust me, she is not hurting for money in any way) so that intrigued me more.

Plus, I love a good deal!

And sometimes I like beets. But sometimes they're just too earthy tasting for me.

5. snowy

It's not uncommon for me to end up wearing an outfit that is 100% Costco. In fact, I'm wearing one right now. They directly attributed to my cardigan problem; I paid $20 for a kersh cardigan at Costco, and then found a retailer in town charging $60 for the same sweater.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Costco? They don't exist here. We don't even have a reasonable facsimile. That said, even when we lived in Toronto, I didn't shop at Costco. It was too far away. They are out in the suburbs.

I do have a second (and a third) fridge, but one is filled with kegs and has taps on the door.

Beets? I love roasted beets only. Any other type of beet is just nasty (I could be exaggerating).

The other issue I here (and in Toronto) was storage. If I bought in the kinds of quantity that Costco sells, I wouldn't have the space to store them.

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I keep hearing beets are edible but have yet to be convinced. I find them "unpleasant" at best which is better than any form of cranberries which are "putrid".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  8. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

We shop at costco on a regular basis and get our gas there. We buy raw chicken breast and make months worth of food at time and get all our bulk non-spoilables from there. The membership pays for itself hands down.

Sam's Club is Walmart with a warehouse theme. I've found a lot of Walmart/Sams items are special models that ONLY they sell... and they're usually a much lower quality than the normal models. Costco you can actually get decent stuff from... although their clothes lie about sizes down here.

9. Chris Noyb

We buy mostly food from Sam's Club, althought my wife will occasionally buy clothes there. Sam's has pretty basic items, nothing really exotic and/or expensive; I have noticed that the Sam's Clubs in the more affluent areas carry a better selection of higher quality items. A friend of ours who is into wine likes the selection & prices at the better stores. It's like shopping anywhere, you need to be aware of prices at other stores and pick your bargains. With the savings between gas & food, we justify our Sam's membership fee.

If Costco had a location near me, I might be tempted to switch.

10. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

When I was a kid, I thought eating beets was like eating dirt. This intrigued me tremendously.

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Borscht is wonderful if you aren't sure about beets.
    Such a nice soup either hot or cold.

• Like Like x 2
  12. omega

omega Very Tilted

Enough with the beets, ok? Nobody cares about beets.

I'm not saying Sam's club is bad. It's just that Costco is nicer. You find nicer clothes occasionally. Oddball stuff like a leather car length coat. Vat died, satin dark red quilted liner. Heavy coat. With swagger. Shaft could have worn it. Goes great with a black watchman's cap. I have had it a dozen years and the finish has not flaked or peeled. I think I paid $125 for it.

I will say though that one time I went to Sam's club and there was a live mariachi band playing by the meat and seafood department. That was pretty cool. They sounded great once you moved an aisle or two away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually, you should all see the documentary on CostCo...it's fascinating. (no exaggeration)

I didn't know that CostCo was one of the biggest Wine buyers in the world...and they influence the wine market.
    When I've gone to one that has a wine area, they're actually pretty good. (MD doesn't allow it. :( Trader Joe's can't do it either in the state, no grocery store...stupid law)

14. snowy

Ours carries lots of local wine at what are essentially wine club prices. I buy a lot of wine there.

15. Chris Noyb

Living in TX I've heard enough mariachi bands to last me 10 lifetimes. I've never seen or heard one live at Sam's Club, which is weird given the 'hood' where we live, at least 70% of the shoppers at the Sam's closest to us are Latino.

16. paddyjoe

paddyjoe curious

When we visit relatives in SoCal, a trip to Costco is always on the itinerary. So exciting news that the Northcoast's first Costco is opening this fall. I will report back then with all my groovy findings!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Here in Virginia we have what is called BJ's. It's like Costco but not as good. I used to think the only Costco was the one in Pentagon City. Until I found one in Mt. Vernon (I think). BJ's is great for getting things like soap, toothpaste, and hydrogen peroxide. But it's either Costco or the Commissary for food.

18. omega

omega Very Tilted

Just renewed my Costco membership after 2.5 years. I wandered around for an hour and didn't even but anything, I was so happy.

19. snowy

I can't even imagine that.

20. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Wow, not even a hot dog? (Or a jar of BEETS)
    We are loving the wild caught shrimp.....(USA)

• Like Like x 1