1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who (spoilers incl.)

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by fresnelly, Apr 21, 2012.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm really in love with Peter Capaldi's face.

2. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Am I the only one who is finding Peter Capaldi's Doctor underwhelming? I even liked Matt Smith better at the start, and I didn't like him anywhere near as much as I liked David Tennant, or even Christopher Eccleston. I dunno...he just seems to lack the proper zing of brilliant/mad/charming that the best of the previous Doctors have. He seems like sort of a cross between William Hartnell and Sylvester McCoy, neither of whom were my favorites. Maybe he'll get better. It is eary days yet, I suppose.

3. snowy

I like him so much better than Matt Smith. There is literally nothing about Matt Smith's Doctor that did it for me. The only episodes of his that I really enjoy are the ones with River Song, because I like her so much as a character. Otherwise, I can take them or leave them.

I'm really excited for the next episode.

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Here's a survey a student is doing for his dissertation on Dr. Who and it's effect on societal prejudice.
    It's pretty cool, I haven't had this much fun doing a survey in a long time.
    Got to use ! and cap locks in the little boxes, it was great fun.
    If you love the show this is worth the time.

"Doctor Who" Survey - Student Dissertation - Primary Data Collection

• Like Like x 2
  5. snowy

That was a great survey! I loved thinking about some of the questions posed, and got to share a little tidbit from talking with students about the show over the years.

"I'm a teacher, and one of the things I find so incredible is that my students who watch the show aren't fazed by much. Take Captain Jack. He is who he is, and it really is no big deal to them." I neglected to mention that half the teenage girls I know who watch the show think he is the hottest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redravin

What I like about the show and I mentioned in the survey is how they often have people of different races and LGBTQA in minor and major roles without mentioning it at all.
    The audience gets to know them as average (even kind of boring) people.
    One of the biggest reasons for societal prejudice is people don't know anyone who is (pick one from the list of hate targets), so they will believe any stupid thing they are told.
    Watching Doctor Who shows them differently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

Totally. It's a complete non-issue in the show, and I love that.

8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Matt was too young at 26? off the top of my head. Looked more like an assistant.

9. redravin

Freaking Dr. Who.
    All I can say is if you're if you're going to kick me in the feels like that the second half had best not suck.

10. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

In my lifetime, it's become much less of an issue in general (in the UK). I'm not sure that the show is doing much more than just reflecting the present state of the society it's made in.

11. redravin

My thoughts on the finale beside the fact that it didn't suck and I was really glad of that.

Clara pretending to be The Doctor was pretty badass but wouldn't they be able to tell she didn't have two hearts?
    UNITs initial face off with the Cybermen proved they are not to be messed with.

I was deeply sad to see the young assistant get vaporized especially after her "bow ties are cool' line and how she figured out who Missy was.

Which makes the whole question of The Master getting fried up in the air.
    I know they intended to make it look like the Lethbridge Stewart Cyberman got her but she could have just as easily teleported at the same moment.

Speaking of the Brigadier I have to admit I didn't even mind having his daughter turn out to be alive when I realized who it was standing there.
    Danny's speech was very stirring, the kind of speech that would really get people to shoot themselves into the clouds.

I get the feeling the Clara decided to stop traveling because she had adopted the boy but that's only a guess.

12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Some thoughts on the finale:

1) The master (yes!) but all of that build up amounted to very little. The cybermen could have planned this themselves. Inserting the Master/Missy into it was almost pointless. What a waste of a cool character (I hope they bring her back for another round).
    2) The end of Clara and Danny - the whole death of Danny was too distant and not visceral enough. The whole love will conquer the cybermen felt trite. Why can't other Cybermen that have great loves (ie many other cybermen) break free? The acting was good and helped to sell it, but it was weak.
    3) I thought the whole Clara pretending to be the Doctor rather pointless. I think the writers have never managed to make Clara into anyone I really care about and this season it's gotten worse.
    4) This is more of a season note, but I was initially excited about Danny Pink, but he quickly became a one note character whose only purpose was to serve as someone to point out that the Doctor is not nice. I am just glad to see him gone now.
    5) I love Capaldi. I think he is brilliant. His Doctor has so much potential to be brilliant. The writing just needs to get better.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jillymayr

jillymayr New Member

I love Doctor Who lol :p:p:p

14. Speed_Gibson

Just watched the Orient Express episode. Good buildup and ending, and leaving the audience with more questions than answers was a good move.

15. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Yeah I just finished the finale, and pretty much agree with all of this. I felt there could have been much more potential exploited in the case of Danny and The Master,and the writing got a bit weak towards the end - and as stated above by redraven, I didn't like seeing the young assistant dying - she was sort of a cool recurring character, having played a noticeable role in The Day of The Doctor (one of my all-time favorite episodes/story arcs, which surprised me since I tend to like David Tennant better that Matt Smith).

I wonder where they will go from here?

16. Speed_Gibson

Just watched the first episode of Broadchurch and loved hearing David use his proper accent rather than an English accent. Would have been superb if had used that for the Tenth Doctor.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redravin

It was really funny to watch the American version Gracepoint and listen to him use an American accent.

Apparently he was putting Doctor Who Easter eggs in Gracepoint.
    David Tennant Dropped A Doctor Who Easter Egg In Gracepoint That Will Make You Cry | The Mary Sue

18. Speed_Gibson

Series 8 has been interesting so far. I still have two or three left to watch I believe off the top of my head . I did encounter a spoiler online with the true identity of the mysterious woman, but nothing beyond that. The last one I watched was on the train with the mummy and the 66 second thing.

19. redravin

In case you missed it this was the plot of the Christmas special.
    [​IMG]
    For The Man Who Has Everything Originally written by Alan Moore

20. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

My favorite (and simultaneously most face-palming) season 8 moment:

Ugh, our Midwestern Bible-humpers have really given us a global reputation.

• Like Like x 1