1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Does the sexual preference of a tech giant matter?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Sexual preference shouldn't matter. However, I can think of people that it would matter to, and probably would alter their buying habits, unfortunately.

I also don't think it's right to out someone against their wishes.

2. dogzilla

dogzilla New Member

I don't think sexual preference should be an issue at all. I'm aware of a number of public figure's sexual orientation and it does not matter to me at all, in politics, business, the arts or any where else in the public eye.

Whether someone decides to disclose their sexual orientation or not is solely their own decision. People have their own justifications for keeping details of their personal lives private and I respect that.

As such, journalists, activists or others who 'out' people against those people's desires are way out of line and get very little respect from me.

3. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I don't care about their race, gender, height, wight, sexual preference or religion...it just doesn't matter. That goes for about any job, up to and including POTUS.

4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

It doesn't matter. That said, nobody deserves to be outed unless they're outspoken and hypocritical toward other non-mainstream sexualities; if they're in a position of power and actively using their influence to discriminate, then it would be wrong not to out them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

^^^ I like that a lot - it's the hypocricy which is being outed.

6. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

If there is an ethical issue here at all, I don't think it is one for journalists to make. You may argue that he has an 'ethical obligation' to come out because a homosexual in a prestigious position can serve as an inspirational example for a community. But that is a highly personal ethical question, and a slippery slope for the public to demand of an individual. In what other circumstances should the public, or the media, or anyone else be able to infringe on the personal privacy of an individual for the benefit of a larger group?

7. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Ditto!