1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Does this describe your choice in restaurants? It absolutely does mine.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Ahhhhhh............I typed out a long comment for this and it went *poof*. :mad:

Basically I said that this article describes me well. I bet it's been 7 years since I've been to an Olive Garden or TGIFriday's. I haven't had a McDonald's or Burger King burger in over a year. Though on RARE occasion (like 1-2x per year) we will go to a place like Chili's or LoneStar if dragged there by friends, I bet it's been 5+ years since my wife and I have went out to eat alone and chosen Applebee's or the like.

It's not because I am going somewhere more expensive. It's like the article says. If I want a fast food burger, I'd rather drive further and go to Five Guys or Smashburger. If I want a sit down restaurant that is inexpensive, I'll find a local, non-chain place that is more creative with their food (and probably far better tasting too).

Is anyone else like that, or am I really a food snob?

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i'll go to chili's on occasion - i love their beef...

not impressed with five-guys at all - burgers seem too greasy...

olive garden for lunch can be delicious...

never been to tgifriday's or ruby tuesday's...

you will never see me in applebee's - almost got poisoned at the one in port richey, fl, a couple of years ago and their house bourbon is seagrams 7, which is not a bourbon but a blend...

for ridiculously reasonable meals, i'll stick with carrabbas', bonefish, outback, longhorn, or texas roadhouse - if you're not drinking your brains out, you can get two really good meals for under 45.00 us...

(the above is my opinion and my opinion only, based on a number of years of hopping around to different restaurants all over the place...)

3. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I used to eat in Old Orleans quite a bit (one a month say) which is a chain. Of the places nearby I liked it the most.

I cant really to afford to eat out right now, but I'll have a Subway every now and again.
    --- merged: Aug 27, 2011 7:51 PM ---
    Is Ruby Tuesday's a curry house chain?

I assume so because of the name... we dont have any "chain" curry places in the UK, but I'd prefer that to a McDonalds I guess.

4. Borla

No, Ruby Tuesdays is just a generic casual restaurant. Similiar to an Applebee's or Chili's but maybe a smidge nicer.

http://www.rubytuesday.com/menu/dinner/

5. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

I don't go to Chillies if I can help it. They poisoned me twice. Would rather go to a decent steak house or a nice mom and pop shop, but I'll admit a love for the McDouble. Cheep and filling. It's my "I'm to lazy to get anything else" food.

6. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Five Guys and these other places are just upstart chains. In 10 years, people will be complaining of the "cheap, sub-par" food there as well.

We tend to dine out at local restaurants. The food is better all around than anything a chain can put out.

We do still go to Chili's, Applebee's and Olive Garden on occasion. I don't think the food at those places is all that bad.

You want to eat at my clients restaurants because they are cooler and you wouldn't want to dine with the unwashed masses at those "chain" places. Fuck you Brad. Go back to your pie charts and graphs.

7. Borla

Though their growth has been explosive the last few years, it's been a cult favorite for 25 years now.

8. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

25 years? Wow. I think I have come across 3 locations for them around here and one is still under construction.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We don't have any of the really good fast-food burger joints here. It is just the standard fare--McDonalds, Wendy's, BK, Carl's Jr (Hardees). I'll admit to being addicted to McDonalds' dollar large Diet Coke in the summer. Generally, though, I prefer to avoid chain restaurants, and where I live, it's pretty easy to do so. A place like Applebees offers nothing my husband can eat, and he doesn't want to pay for them to take the meat off of something, because they'll still charge him as if he ate the meat. We also have a Ruby Tuesday, but their veggie burger tastes like boot.

However, I do like chain restaurants for breakfast, i.e. Denny's. Their Moons Over My Hammy is one of my favorite things to eat ever.

10. Borla

Interesting. I've tried a lot of things, but never boot.

:p

11. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Some chains I like, some I don't. Places with shitty food AND atmosphere, e.g. Applebees, you will not find me in. Those with good food and shitty atmosphere (e.g. Outback), I'll be found in periodically. There are some chains that seem to fit neither category, which I'd eat at just as often as anywhere else (e.g. Papadeaux's in Houston).

I find it hard to find local places that aren't too snobbish. Just because it's trendy doesn't mean it's good. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good. This is a large part of what dissuades me from actively seeking out "good" local restaurants. Too much trial and error.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I have a very different situation here. In Sinagpore, while some of the chains you know are here, there are a few different ones as well. As a rule, I avoid the chain restaurants. I do, from time to time, hit Burger King or Wendy's. The fast food craving is hard to avoid.

The big difference here is that there are tonnes of great hawker stalls selling amazing fresh food and cheap beer. I'd rather go to one of these any day of the week.

13. Remy

Remy Vertical

I would choose a five guys or chipotle over a restaurant for the reason of saving money on a tip, and TIME.
    I always tip very well and that waiter needs to put food on their table, so that means a restaurant is a pricey option when choosing a meal.
    I usually choose a restaurant if I want to sit down and have a lot of time. Lately, I just don't have that time. And then if you want to hang out at a restaurant, you are eating that waiters table section, costing them money. So restaurants place a lot of restrictions on you compared to other casual places.

I think the younger generation prefers chic, open, airy places where you can come and go as you please and chill with a laptop if need be. I personally prefer places with a self serve soda fountain since I drink a ton and love the pleasure of filling up a huge 44oz cup of ice and watching the soda pour over it :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I don't go to many brand name places to eat. IHOP, Denny's are treats. When I can get a burger and fries for the same price at McD's why am I going to go there?

15. Strange Famous

EXACTLY!!!!

16. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I always go to McDonald's

Once every two or three years, just to check that my negative assessment is not just a nightmare.
    Bun and a few slices of ham at a local shop cost less for better portions, taste better ... are better. Assembling them myself outside the shop is a small price to pay for something superior.

In a restaurant, my major assessment is quality of ingredients and cooking, and portion size.
    Snob or fashion factor is of no interest to me outside of being a floor show for my 'social observer' side, and it had better not interrupt the process of eating or engaging in the company I choose to be with.

My ex taught me to scan the menu to assess where they made the greatest and least profit.
    Pasta with sauce you can whip up in two minutes was always a no no.
    A general rule was that the restaurant had to be able to cook the dish better than I could without an afternoon-long rigmarole.

That's why any delivered meals will always come from small local restaurants.

I never order delivered pizzas.
    Except once every two or three years ... just to check.

17. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

See I can go all over the world and after about 2 days find out where the good cheap food is. If you're going because it's pretty or has some snazzy design/theme/hook, well you're going to pay for that and the food might suck.

Rule of thumb that works all over the world: Eat where the police officers, taxi cab drivers, and construction people eat. It has never ever ever been wrong in all the places in the world I have been. You will be eating in a whole in the wall, it may not be in the safest of looking neighborhoods, but you will for sure, 100% get good food and get it at a fair and reasonable price.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Strange Famous

There's only one burger McDonalds sell which I like, but they only sell it sometimes - which seems to me pretty stupid on their part

Anyway, the only reason I go there is when I was still living in Ipswich but working in Walsall. Sometimes on the way home on a Friday night I'd stop at Cambridge Services and it was that or KFC or sit in the car easting a sandwich from M&S... if they had a Big Tasty I'd have that, if they didnt it would be an M&S sandwich.

I do like the milkshakes they do though.

Have never been to an Appleby or a Ruby Tuesday or a Five Guys or a Chilli's... if they have them in the UK they dont have many cos I've never seen one.

_

If I was going out for a meal and it wasnt Old Orleans, I'd normally just have a curry. Cheap, filling, normally licensed so you can have a beer with your dinner.

I once went out with a girl and took her to a fish restauarant and paid about £20 for a fucking fish. I mean, it was nice and all... but I could have bought it myself and cooked it for £5. I agree with Zen, while there's the ambience and all that, if Im going to pay for my dinner I want something nicer than I could do myself for 1/4 the price.

19. Borla

Living on the outskirts of Chicagoland I am spoiled with all of the awesome pizza choices. Sometimes when I travel for work and don't feel like going out to dinner (pretty rare anymore) I'll order a pizza to the room and it always ends up reminding me how comparatively bad so many pizza places are to what is around here. And I'm not just saying Chicago style pizza either, but even the thinner crust/topping pizza places have to be top notch to compete, meaning we win when it comes to great options.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I used to love Friday's and Applebee's.... now, not so much. I look at places like that as somewhere to grab a beer, and maybe an appetizer while watching a game, but that's about it.

I do love places like Chipotle and Panera.... but I wasn't impressed at all with Five Guys when we tried it a few months ago (I had a grilled cheese with mushrooms, Lordeden had a burger, we both had fries. Everything was way too greasy. We DID get a ton of fries, but since neither of us liked them much, it didn't really matter.)

I'm definitely more likely to go to a smaller local place, that has awesome vegetarian entrees. Good beer selection helps, too. Pricing's also a huge issue. We're po', y'know.