1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Dr OZ

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DAKA, Apr 24, 2014.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Anyone watch this show, some of the stuff they come up with is VERY interesting
    Diet soda....(bad, very bad) A new "sweetener from PEPSICO (bad, very bad)
    this just yesterday and today....(maybe being home is bad, very bad)
    I'm surprised that this show is on network TV.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ugh, I can't stand the health sensationalism present on Dr. Oz. That show preys on the elderly and the uneducated. I can't tell you how many times my husband's grandmother has said, "I saw on Dr. Oz..." and then spouted off some very poorly generalized bit of health news. By generalization, I mean the concept wherein a conclusion about a particular characteristic is reached based on a sample from a group (Boss, 2010). See also: Generalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Essentially, what happens is that journalists see studies, jump on them, and try to draw a wider conclusion from the limited sample covered in the study. But the sample size can be too small for the results to be good ones (see 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' http://hss.sas.upenn.edu/system/files/ChineseSyndrome%2520schom.pdf), or it could be based on a study in animals (see Saccharin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that is not easily generalized to a human population.

It's also rampant with an appeal to authority aspect; Dr. Oz is presented to the audience as a health expert, and due to the title of the show, people assume he is knowledgeable about what he purports to be knowledgeable about; however, he is actually a surgeon. I'm not saying he knows nothing about health, but I doubt his credentials give him the expertise necessary to make judgments the way he does.

There are some other logical fallacies that show is guilty of, which is one of the reasons I dislike it so strongly.

• Like Like x 5
  3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

That's an awful lot of words to say Dr. Oz is full of shit.

• Like Like x 6
  4. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I don't watch this show very often, but there have been some good points made in the few that I have seen, artificial sweetener in soda !!
    Caffeine and sugar in some of the so called energy drinks....I'm going to record the shows and speed through some more.

5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Dr. Oz is a world class cardiac surgeon. Sadly, he's lent his name,image, and show to arguments that are pseudoscientific at best, outright harmful at worst.

• Like Like x 2
  6. omega

omega Very Tilted

Yeah. You can't jump on one or two studies and then take that as gospel, which is so often what happens on that show and others.

7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Dr. Oz's advice is sometimes good, sometimes questionable, usually dramatized (a heavy reliance on worst case scenarios), and mostly superficial. It should be researched like any medical advice.

The problem with folks like Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc. is the immense power of the media, namely TV. Way too many people believe "it" because they saw "it" on TV.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yeah, basically Dr. Oz is the Dr. Phil of physical health, whereas Dr. Phil is the Deepak Chopra of psychological health.

As for Deepak Chopra, he's basically the Oprah of spirituality.

As for Oprah, well, she's not exactly a person so much as a brand.

But whatevs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

it just seems like whoever is on oprah for a while as a guest, they get their own show. the only one i ever really liked was that dr laura lady