1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Droid or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by grumpyolddude, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Iphone definitely has it's benefits, love it! Don't leave home without it. Have to order the new one yet, waiting for the son and daughter-in-law to give me an update on it's new features.

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Shit really? Damn now I don't feel so bad knowing that I woke up at 4:30 AM EST and trying to place my order.

3. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I ordered an iPhone 5 from Sprint yesterday.. and I still expect it to arrive on 9/21. Wheeeeeee.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I have an iPhone and I like it. The one thing I HATE is iTunes. Every time I connect my phone to my laptop it "Sync's' and copies songs I already have on the phone. I can either have it not sync at all or end up with 25 copies of Kid Rock's "Rock and Roll Jesus" on my phone. I contacted Apple about this issue and they said I can manually go in and removed the duplicate copies (gee, thanks I couldn't figure out I could delete shit.) But I've got some 5K+ songs and likely over 1k are dupes. I started working on it one day and after an hour I hadn't made it out of the "A's" so I gave up.

5. cynthetiq

I didn't know you liked kid rock that much!

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I actually like a wide variety of music. I have everything from AC/DC, Kid Rock to Johnny Cash and Hank Snow. I have a bunch of different types of Latin music now and have had a play list of Indian (mainly carnatic) music for several years now. Other then hardcore "gangster" rap I can listen to pretty much anything.

I had a somewhat funny experience with my father a couple years back. I'd gone up care for my dad while my mom had some surgery. My dad asked if I'd mind if he played some music on his new Bose system, warning me I wouldn't like it. I asked "who or what is it?" "Oh, it's an old guy from the thirties you've never heard of before." "Who?" "Hank Snow." "Oh, no I've heard of him and I like him." "You're just being polite, where'd you hear of Hank Snow?" I'd probably heard of the guy while in the Navy, traveling and being exposed to people from all over the country/world exposed me to all kinds of music. I showed my dad not only did I enjoy Hank Snow had about 30 of his songs on my phone. He was a little stunned to say the least. We used my phone and his sound system. One of my favorite memories of my father in is later years.

• Like Like x 3
  7. The phone went on sale at 2 am Central Time. I was on the road and had watched most of the Bears @ Green Bay in a sports bar as the hotel didn't have the NFL Network. Was going to get up at 6:30 and order. Instead I woke at 4 to siphon off some of the beer from the night before and decided to order then. Went back to sleep feeling pretty good about getting a phone soon. Then I realized later in the day it was a 3 week wait.

At least I got to pee.

8. cynthetiq

I'm going to make an attempt on 9/21 to purchase an iphone at BestBuy. No one lines up for shit at BestBuy.

9. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

unless it's black friday..

10. redux

redux Very Tilted

Do you work at all at your university, even part-time?

I have a deal for you....15-18% off your monthly Sprint bill.

Government Employees Marketplace . a site we helped create initially for city/county employees and later expanded to state/federal, k-12/universities and non-profit employees.

We're shutting it down at the end of the year. We were never able to grow it the way we hoped with hundreds of exclusive deals (for which we would get a cut from vendors on every purchase).

11. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I work part time as a student assistant. I have 3 lines on my account, though, and neither of the other 2 are state workers. Also, that discount is for new lines/activations.. not existing accounts, and I've been a sprint/nextel account holder since 2004.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. redux

redux Very Tilted

I have my 80 yr old mother on my account and the discount applies to her phone as well.
    --- merged: Sep 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM ---
    It is good for existing Sprint accounts as well . I started with Sprint (and a phone the size of a brick) when Sprint and AT&T were the only carriers with national coverage.

It does require a new two-year commitment but that would be required for your new iPhone as well.

Call the Sprint number for GEM (govt employee marketplace) - 888-694-7774

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
  13. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Ok, cool, thanks!

14. redux

redux Very Tilted

You will be doing a public service. We get 1/4 of the 1.5% administrative fee that Sprint pays to be the exclusive provider....or probably about 25 cents of your monthly bill will come to me and not Sprint :)

15. cynthetiq

Oddly enough I bought my phone from apple store in the meat packing district. Waited maybe 30 mins but had to return because my preorder cancellation did not propagate across all systems before I had a meeting I could not blow off.

16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

A friend of mine recently went with a Samsung phone, feeling that the premium for the new iPhone 5 wasn't worth it.

I can see why he'd do that, especially if he's not attached to iOS.

17. Alistair Eurotrash

People QUEUE for a bloody phone?

Are they nuts? Why?

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Because it is awesome and not some copy.

19. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I love my new iPhone. Having never had one before, it's incredible to me the difference in appearance of apps on iOS vs. Android. Everything just looks more sleek and the display is easy on the eyes - I've been reading one of my ebooks on it for a while and don't have to take breaks as often.

That said, the photo quality using the flash at least is nowhere near as good as on my Epic, but maybe I just haven't figured out how to use it quite yet. I can see low light photos being a problem. :/

20. So can I. Had I not had an iPad I might have done the same.

Just received an email that my 5 will now be delivered on the 28th rather than Oct 5. Really lucky for me as that is the only day that i will be home next week.

• Like Like x 1