1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Droid or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by grumpyolddude, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I feel the same way for pretty much anything that's going to be the exact same thing a few days or weeks later. Heck, I sometimes wait years before getting something.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

My iPhone is telling me I have a SW update to download and install. I'm pretty certain I have an iPhone 3, maybe a 4 but certainly not 4S with the voice. Anyway the update says it includes "Apple Maps." It also says better FB interface which means jack to me. I'm thinking, based on news stories of late, I don't want "Apple Maps." Google maps are questionable enough here in Mexico. What if I just don't update to the new SW?

Anyone know what the best move here might be?

3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

don't update yet. If you have a 3 you won't get much better integration with Facebook.

a friend said his 3 is much zippier but you won't get Siri anyways.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I spent about .0000001% of my time on FB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think that iOS is much more cleanly implemented than Android, but the reason why I will continue to use Android:

Widgets.

I have widgets for everything. It greatly enhances customizability. Also, I much prefer Linux to Apple anyways :p

• Like Like x 3
  6. cynthetiq

I do kind of miss widgets, but what I do miss is a stopwatch app that I used exclusively for customer service tracking. My android phone is not going to be tossed out, but will be used for some very simple suited tasks. Besides, now that I can hotspot, my old phone just becomes another usable device. I'm not really going to miss out on much.

7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Hot spotting from the iPhone is one feature I really like. But here after you use X amount of data they cut your speed to where it's nearly unusable.

And my iPhone has a stop watch feature.

8. I actually upgraded from a Droid Incredible to a Galaxy S III about a month ago. I haven't looked back. I didn't think I'd like having such a huge phone, but I've gotten used to it and now my Incredible just feels small. Battery life is great, it's incredibly quick and responsive, it'll be getting Jelly Bean here soon (and because of its popularity it'll probably get a couple of subsequent upgrades over the next 2ish years).

I'm currently looking at ways to re-purpose my Incredible. It's essentially a 4 inch wifi tablet now, so I'm looking for ideas. :p

9. Raghnar

Raghnar Getting Tilted

I think Windows Phone have a lot to tell, lately.

I have a Desire HD Droid Phone, and I will nell change it for an iPhone, but I'll switch to a good Lumia eyes closed (I tried with my sister, but she won't :( )...

10. Jay

Jay Vertical

I have a Razr and love it so far, in all honesty it's far more than I need, but as someone who drives from Phoenix to Nogales and everywhere in between, it's nice to not always have to rely on my map books in my truck to find streets in Sedona, I enjoy just being able to type the address into Latitude and following away.

11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

If you think lining up for a phone is nuts... the going price on craigslist where I am seems to have settled around 700 or so but the first day or so I saw them listed for up to 1700.

12. Baraka_Guru

I just learned today that I'm inheriting my SO's iPhone 4.

I presume she's upgrading to the iPhone 4S if not the iPhone 5 through some deal with our provider. It may be in part because she knew I've been frustrated with my current phone.

Good riddance to my clunky, laggy, freezy, buggy Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android phone.

I can now finally achieve Apple purity: Macbook, Time Capsule, iPod, and now iPhone!

Wo0t!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. cynthetiq

cool now I can iMessage you :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

My god-sister just upgraded from a Galaxy SII to a IPhone 4, she still isn't to sure if she likes it or not.

15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I did a year ago, and have been liking it a lot ever since.

16. Baraka_Guru

The only issue is that I can't take full advantage of iCloud because my Macbook is too old to run Mountain Lion. :(

17. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

love my GSIII, but it is child's play compared to the iPhone 5.

a few bugs to work out, but an update is on the way so not too worried about it.

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

You can still use the icloud.com website.

19. Baraka_Guru

But with my Macbook ignorant of iCloud, I can't use OS X's programs directly. I'd rather do that than go through the web like Google web tools.

20. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

They came out with some very nice new Macs today then... :)