1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Droid or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by grumpyolddude, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I wish....

2. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

My new I phone is going back, I'm re "lighting" my flip phone Who needs all the crap the I phone can do.....and it is $60 a month more...
    IT'S A FUCKING PORTABLE TELEPHONE few chris sakes
    --- merged: Oct 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM ---
    My new I phone is going back, I'm re "lighting" my flip phone Who needs all the crap the I phone can do.....and it is $60 a month more...
    IT'S A FUCKING PORTABLE TELEPHONE few chris sakes

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  3. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Ummm.
    Ok.

I need a phone that does more than just, you know, make phone calls.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's not a phone. It's a pocket computer.

My iPhone is at least 30 times more powerful than my first desktop computer at a fraction of the size.

Although it's a bit difficult to actually measure these things, I'm not quite exaggerating. Actually, my estimate is likely a bit too conservative.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

OMG, I can't imagine life without my smartphone. YOU WILL PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.

In all seriousness, I have a job where my boss appreciates it when I respond promptly to her questions and requests. It even came up on my review. It's worth the extra $$ for my data.

6. Random McRandom

agreed. I understand how some people may not see the need or importance, but most likely they aren't in a position where they need to be in constant contact or use productivity tools in a mobile setting.

snowy - amen sista. I need to be in constant contact with a variety of people ranging from producers to clients to editors and camera operators.

7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm ditching my iPhone 4 for a Galaxy SIII in a few weeks. An I can't wait. I'm tired of the refusal of apple to work with adobe products, inability to open .docx files on emails from certain providers, and the reliance on iTunes. Hubs has the SIII and the ability to personalize it, the battery life, etc totally appeal to me as a grad student. I am trying to manage 5 email addresses and 6 calendars, juggle assignments, and apply for internships. The iPhone just can't hack it. And the things I need weren't changed with the i5.

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

E's phone recently kicked the bucket, and while he decided to use his insurance get a new one, he seriously considered getting the Galaxy SIII. I'm almost ready to suggest that he just go buy it and give me the phone he got via insurance, as the accelerometer on mine is dead, which kinda sucks when trying to use certain functions on the phone.

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I think I'll be moving on to the Galaxy III in the near future. I'm really tired of several kinks with the iphone. Especially tiresome is the Adobe and iTunes stupidity.

10. DAKA

I called to return the I phone, (30 day trial) actually SO called she has MUCH more patience than I do,,,,long story short, I'm keeping the I phone, she made some kind of a deal....machs nix to me...the one thing I do like is that it takes descent pix, like for reference when I disassemble something and can't remember what goes in first...brain is getting slow...
    I understand how "you people" are tied to the phone, you are basically working ALL the time..I hated the pagers we had to carry years ago...now being RETIRED going on 22 years...I AIN'T GOTTA' BE NOWHERE.
    Tully, I LOVE THIS

.People are always bitching about “getting what they deserve.” I suspect if most people got what they deserved they’d be extremely disappointed.

Story of my life...

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Thanks. I think it's an original quote. I was watching some news story one day and a guy was bitching about getting what he deserved and it dawn on me if he did indeed get what he deserved he'd likely be seriously disappointed. I Googled it and came up with nada. So unless I'm mistaken it's my original thought. Now that say that 20 folks will likely post where it really comes from.

12. Random McRandom

I have a GSIII... it's a great phone. Only reason I got an iPhone on top of it was for pure apple synchronization :D

watches as Daka's head asplodes over someone carrying TWO of them crazy portable phones around :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

The number of people here with two, three or more cell phones is stunning. It's doesn't seem to matter how much money they have either. I've gone to peoples houses where the floor is dirt but they'll have several cell phones. It has something to do with each carrier charging crazy amounts if you use their system to call a phone on another system. So if your mom and aunt have different carriers you buy two phone to call them both. Since I rarely see anyone not talking or texting on their cell I assume the math must work out.

14. DAKA

No my head won't explode, but I will be scratchin"
    I have a "friend" who will be the first person to have a "phone implant" on the occasion we are having lunch, he knows better than to reach for the phone if it rings, I get up, take my plate and change tables....are these people so SELF IMPORTANT, that if they have to call someone back they will miss out?
    ps, we also DO NOT HAVE CALL WAITING.... how rude is that shit...."sorry this calll is more important than talking to you"

15. Alistair Eurotrash

I have to agree. If people HAVE to twiddle with their phones rather than read a book or talk to each other during downtime, fine. In meetings, at meals, in any social situation, fiddling with your phone (and, especially, taking calls) is just plain, fucking rude. I have little patience with it.

I do have a smartphone. However, it is (as you say) a portable telephone. It is also handy, on occasion, to have access to email. Doesn't mean I will reply. Same for texts. I might call back - if it's genuinely important, which it very rarely is. If it was urgent, they'd call. I do like to be able to check out the internet occasionally, I admit. Mostly, if I'm commuting, the main value is that it's a palm-sized Kindle.

Technology is there to serve me. NOT vice versa.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Random McRandom

Check it. I read a shit ton of books, via print or electronic. When I'm at dinner with my wife and family, I don't answer the phone or check emails. However, during the course of the day - as in business hours - I'm always on my phone. I don't always answer or respond to text or emails or check the files sent to me at the very moment they come in, but I'm in a business that moves so quickly that if I fail to act quickly, large amounts of cash can fly away faster than the message was sent.

If I'm in an important meeting or I'm on deadline, then I simply use the auto-reply feature to inform parties that I will get back to them asap. There are a select few that I have to take the call from no matter what is going on, but those know my schedule well enough to not bother unless it's something that simply cannot wait.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

Droid vs iPhone is a personal preference.................for those that haven't tried neither maybe

i've tried both and at the end of the day, the iPhone is not all it's cracked up to be. take the time to compare the specs and you'll realise you get more value for money choosing a Android phone. it's all there in black and white and i have two android phones, of the same model, in case one of them spits the dummy. unlikely but possible

avoid wasting your money unnecessarily on the iPhone and getting the same, and more features of a Droid phone ;)