1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Duck Dynasty star's anti-gay remarks

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 19, 2013.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

My outrage is that raising the specter of bestiality feeds into the rhetoric of right wing, "pro-family" groups that gays want to fuck your dog (and your kid; I'm surprised he didnt include pedophilia as well) and pose a danger to society....rhetoric that should be challenged anytime and in any forum.

I recall when Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council claimed that the repeal of Don't Ask, Don' Tell would lead to bestiality.

Family Research Council

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I like whole Biblical bestiality thing because, really, it is so ludicrous that only the mentally retarded can say it with a straight face.

Hell, who even owns livestock these days? Everybody else here in 2013 is laughing and busy not wondering why they haven't turned into pillars of salt yet.

Eh, I wonder if the year 2050 will finally bring the world what it so desperately needs: acceptance that religious texts are fantastic works of fiction with flawed moral messages.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

He loves gays, he's just worried that their lifestyle will lead to having sex with all the mens and womens and animals!

I'm sure he's filled with love—love and ignorance.
    --- merged: Dec 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM ---
    Stewart Scolds Fox News For Defending Duck Dynasty Star's Anti-Gay Remarks | Alternet

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My main point is that shoddy journalism is being used to sensationalize the entire thing, and I think it is likely that it was somewhat purposefully done to start with. IMO the thoughts and opinions of ANY reality star should carry about as much weight in society as which side of the yard Stanley decides to do his business on.

5. Baraka_Guru

You're suggesting people should ignore the words of someone who's watched by as many as 11.7 million people at a time?

When you have that many people within your circle of influence, your words tend to carry weight despite what it is you do. I mean, that's why people still listen to Donald Trump.

Also it's not called "shoddy journalism"; it's just "journalism" now. ;)

6. redux

redux Very Tilted

Or maybe this country is just going to the dogs...with recent repeal of DADT and DOMA. :eek:

7. Baraka_Guru

Shit, you guys might turn into Canada—or worse.

Do you find it interesting that right-wing Christians want to lean towards an Afghanistan set of values rather than towards a Canadian one?

Isn't that weird?

8. Borla

Or maybe that 11.7M people should have better things to do/watch/read/learn. :eek:

Or that I don't like the concocted flavor of this whole thing.

9. Baraka_Guru

Don't get me started. Don't even—

You think this guy is simply a clever marketer? Do you think he's spoon-feeding people?

10. Borla

Him? Or A&E? Or his son who has exploded what was a multi-million dollar business already into a household name?

Or craptastic publications that want ratings/sales?

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

Canada is the new Sodom and Gomorrah

Canadian Court Strikes Down Anti-Prostitution Laws

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

Him. I don't think A&E is that ballsy. I suppose his son could have helped. I really don't know much about them or the show. I've never seen anything beyond promo stills.

They're just doing their job.

13. Borla

I think he believes what he said. I also think his entire family is dumb like a fox.

Remember, these rednecks had already made an 8-figure business out of this before the TV show.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

If I posted comments like these publicly, I would expect to get fired. Most teachers and public officials are in the same boat. A&E gets to make their own rules and they certainly include the ability to suspend or fire him for these comments.

I foresee the sale of this franchise to Fox for massive amounts of cash. Under the circumstances, Duck Dynasty on A&E makes as much sense as Ted Nugent on Disney.

• Like Like x 2
  15. redux

redux Very Tilted

From a Republican candidate for Congress:

16. Baraka_Guru

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

17. Borla

I'm much more outraged over an elected official (think about the power we give those idiots) making that type of statement. We actually pick those men and women because we supposedly believe they can choose what is best for us. Not because they make us laugh on a Wednesday night when we are tired and too lazy to read or be productive.

18. Baraka_Guru

But do you see the impact of celebrity? This isn't something that stays in a vacuum; it becomes a(n) (inter)national dialogue.

19. Borla

I see the impact and always have. I think it is completely ridiculous that it has said impact.

Being popular in front of a camera does not make one worthy of making social, political, religious, or any other type of major decision that anyone should listen to.

Being elected as a representative of thousands or millions of people should.

20. Baraka_Guru

AND NO ONE LISTENS TO THE POETS!

• Like Like x 1