1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Duck Dynasty star's anti-gay remarks

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Why Duck Dynasty is a Fraud (click this link for the full breakdown)
    #1 We All Sell Out For Holllywood

Duck Dynasty would like you to believe that this band of roughnecks built an empire from a trailer's ashes. And with those awesome beards and matching camo gear, it's not a stretch by any means. But behind the thick accents and American flag bandanas hides a yuppie Southern family who sold out for Hollywood fame. Just like the rest of us would.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

So they do have a lot in common with Sarah Palin.

I'm trying to stay ignorant of Duck Dynasty just like I tried (and mostly succeeded) to remain ignorant about twerking.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Charlatan

The only thing I know about Duck Dynasty is that when I was in Cannes for a TV market, they were promoting the snot out of the series.

Everything else I know comes from this thread and the coverage over this incident. The show just looks like something I would loathe.

4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i don't doubt it after my cousin shot a reality pilot in TN and said they do like 5 takes for every scene. reality is fake as it gets. i still think their christian family message holds true despite all the acting that goes on. the father went to lsu or something and willie went to harding, they aren't exactly dumb rednecks.

5. Charlatan

Having been involved with the production of a few reality series, there is little that is real about them. If you want something that resembles reality (whatever that is) I'd suggest sticking to cinema verité documentaries.

6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Look I'm not stupid. Nor are most of the people watching and enjoying Duck Dynasty despite the general tone of condescension directed at all of us.
    I enjoy the show and will continue to watch it.
    I hope that A&E cans them and that I will be watching it on a different channel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yeah, but I know of a lot of ignorant people who have university degrees

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

Yeah, but evidently gay bashing is acceptable (to some) as part of a "christian family message" because according to a literal interpretation of the Bible homosexuality is a sin.

And to criticize such gay bashing is persecuting good Christian family men.

9. Baraka_Guru

If only they'd follow Christ instead....

Ironically, it would seem.

10. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

In the milieu which is TFP, there sometimes seems to be an open condescension season things that are rural or Southern. Rural and Southern? Oh, the horror.:eek:
    You just reminded me of something for the What Can't You Do thread. I can't twerk.:p There's not enough lard in my ass.:D

11. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

There isn't much that doesn't get poked fun at on TFP; but I've never noticed condescension. I'm about as rural as it gets.

On the other hand, there is no context where comparing homosexuality to bestiality is going to be acceptable here.

• Like Like x 4
  12. redux

redux Very Tilted

My condescension is directed to the Sarah Palin types who wrap themselves in both the Constitution and the Bible as they are (or should be) interchangeable, and misrepresent both documents in a self-righteous attempt to justify hateful remarks.

Which brings me to:

[​IMG]
    --- merged: Dec 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM ---
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  13. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

christians aren't bound by the laws of the old testament. no one is capable of keeping the law from the bible, they need a savior. people are saved by the grace of god through faith in jesus. with that being said i tend to agree with deuteronomy 22:5. i'm not sure a woman wearing man's clothes is exactly sin though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  14. redux

redux Very Tilted

The U.S. is not a theocracy.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion”

15. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i can't even figure out why you are quoting the first amendment?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm Southern.* I've been here since 2007, am the third highest posting member at over six thousand posts and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Is TFP an overwhelmingly liberal crock pot of an echo chamber? Most definitely. Is TFP against Southern people? Hardly. Who doesn't love @LordEden?

* I have owned a domestic pickup truck with a brush guard that was once repaired with duct tape, had a great time at George Strait concert, ordered grits for breakfast, purchased camouflage blankets for a friends and family, held a girl's hand while she squat-pissed in a national park, cooked venison while watching a John Wayne flick, carried a single action revolver while duck hunting in a john boat, attended professional development at a facility with a legit "Beware of 'gators" sign, lived down the street from a nativity scene with a black Jesus, fallen out of a rickety wooden tree stand, worn Realtree pants to a restaurant without shame, screwed crooked-tooth girls that have said "Come getcha some," toted a Glock on a first date, eaten campfire cornbread and I am totally comfortable with the Souf Cackalacky dialect

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  17. redux

redux Very Tilted

From your previous post...." ...no one is capable of keeping the law from the bible" and "people are saved by the grace of god through faith in jesus....."

We absolutely keep the law separate from the Bible...or are you suggesting that we impose the Judeo-Christian Bible on all citizens?

And Jesus is not my savior.
    --- merged: Dec 23, 2013 4:25 AM ---
    Again, my issue is more with those who selectively cite passages of the Bible and conveniently ignore other passage.

Sarah Palin and Biblical references to homosexuality while conveniently ignoring passages on sexual immorality of the kind practiced by her daughter. I wonder how she would react if one suggested that pre-marital sex was compared to bestiality?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  18. Baraka_Guru

I think @samcol was referring to Christians and how they practice their faith regarding religious laws in the Old Testament vs. the teachings of Christ—not about society's laws.

I thought about this comparison to bestiality. I know why it happens. It's because it gets lumped in with the other "abominations" (like incest or eating shellfish). But outside of the Bible, it causes offence, of course. Christians would be equally offended (or worse) if some liberal celebrity were interviewed and said stuff like, "I just don't think Christians are mentally healthy. First off, none of Christianity is true—it's delusional. Worse, it leads to satanism and, ultimately, pedophilia. Just look at the Catholic Church."

• Like Like x 3
  19. redux

redux Very Tilted

It not only causes offense, it is subject to selective interpretation in support of existing civil laws. Why not support civil punishments against "fornication" in any of its forms (adultery, pre marital sex, homosexuality).

20. Baraka_Guru

Oh, it's very selective. The bigger problem (lame) Christians should focus on instead of same-sex marriage law is perhaps a law that requires a virginity test before issuing marriage certificates. I think they also should be concerned about revamping the laws regarding divorce and remarrying. They're too lax. Remarrying is an abomination, especially if the woman has been "defiled." These issues I think are more common than issues with same-sex couples (of which there are relatively fewer).