1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

E-Reader advice

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by CoffeeBee, Aug 15, 2011.

1. CoffeeBee

CoffeeBee Slightly Tilted

I have finally convinced my 14 yr old daughter to get an e-reader. She is a very avid reader and does not like to get rid of books that she likes. I can't blame her, it is fun to read them over and over again. This weekend she realized she is running out of room on her shelves. I explained the benefits of an e-reader and she is all for it now! woo hoo! Problem is I know nothing about the different ones that are out there. I am reaching out to TFP for information on e-readers.

Do you have one? If so, which one?
    What do you like about your e-reader?
    What Don't you like about it?
    Would you recommend it to someone?
    What should I look for in an e-reader?

Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Xazy Vertical

I have a sony PRS-350.

I like the size of it, the battery life, and the fact that I am not locked in to only certain formats. I on purpose got a pocket size e-reader that literally fits in my pocket with its protective case on which I can carry around everywhere. I as well like how easy it is to use, how well it works in direct sunlight, and that it holds more books then I can ever read in 6 months.

This E-reader only has 2gb of memory, but most books will be from under 1mb to 4mb in size. Only books that have a lot of pictures may be bigger. I have put on several hundred books at once and did not come close to filling the memory. Yes some e-readers have more memory, the only puspose for that to me is if you want it to serve as a mp3 player as well.

I have yet to find anything that I dislike about it. I do however that the cost of the cover is overpriced.

I have not only recommended this, I have as well given it as a gift to several people. Everyone who I have recommended it to, and received it from me love it.

I would recommend ease of use, figure out how big you want it to be, and battery life. Some E-readers do more including wifi, email, etc...I would avoid at all cost the Literat from sharper image I tried it and found it just terrible to use. I have played a little with and find the kindle, nook and sony as the 3 real viable options.

Also note that the nook color, does not have the same long battery life as the other e-readers and does not work as well in the sun. Which to me is a very important feature.

3. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I have a Kindle

Its size is convenient to carry around, but a bit too large to put in a pocket. The font and size are adjustable as well as the orientation (can hold it upright like a book or on its side like a handheld game). Larger fonts make it easier to read in low light conditions. Glare isn't an issue. The screen looks like a paper page. Battery life is up to a month if the WiFi is shut off. About a 10 days if left on. Downloading books is a snap. Reviewing them is easier on Amazon. I think it will hold somewhere around 3500 books in memory. If there is more than 1 kindle linked to the account, its fairly easy to share books. Easy to update last page read across platforms (PC, smartphone, etc) Easy to link WiFi to home wireless. Seems to be fairly easy to make notes as you read if your a write in the margins type of reader. Hugh selection of covers.

Re: multiple Kindles on an account - It is easy to share books, but once a book is finished the first time you can't sync to last page read on subsequent reads. (nitpicky minor issue)
    You can review the books on the Kindle, its just faster on the Amazon page. (again, nitpicky)
    Units with just WiFi need a hotspot to connect. Units with Wifi/4G are pricier. (My phone can be used as a WiFi hotspot so its not an issue for me)
    Keyboard buttons are small and have read about the letter paint wearing off under heavy use.

Yes.

Ease of use, size and what else you might want to use it for (e.g. e-mail)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I took have a Kindle and absolutely love it as well. I waited months to get one because I thought I'd miss holding a real book in my hands. I absolutely do not. I couldn't be happier and couldn't recommend one more.

And to top it off, Amazon's Kindle customer support is pure awesomeness. You talk to a real person, who is in the US, and I've never had a call last more than 3-4 minutes.

5. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I'm looking forward to hearing peoples experiences with this as well. I currently use my iPod Touch as an ereader, which is ultra-convenient, but not great for longer reading periods. I'm curious what the cheapest eReader would be that is still worth using; I wouldn't want wifi or cellular service.

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I've been looking very hard at the Kobo Touch as an ereader. I actually went down to Indigo to play with one over the weekend, and I have to say I was very impressed. I can't give a lot of advice on user experience as I don't actually own one yet, but my mind is made up. In terms of price and features, I don't see much better on the market.

7. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I have a kindle

I am pretty happy with it (and you can get free books if you are the type of person who can get free music)

Battery life is good, screen is good, it wasnt that expensive to buy, and its small and light. The interface isnt that clever, but all you really want is to be able to do is read the books.

The only complaint I have is that a lot of books Ive wanted to get on it I havent been able to find, and new books are still too expensive.

8. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Put me in the kindle crowd, as well. I don't have any particular complaints about it beyond the fact that it doesn't come with some sort of cover and the screen seems to be relatively easy to scratch or stain or mark up. As people have indicated, downloading new titles couldn't be faster or easier and it has exceptional battery life. It's conveniently sized, easy to read on and adjustable depending on what you want to read.

I also love how many free titles are available of a lot of classic literature, which means you can enjoy hours of reading without spending a dime. I would echo SF that new books are still pretty freaking expensive given the digital delivery. I paid $15 for Dance with Dragons which, while a lot less than a hardcover, still seems quite a bit more money than a full digital book out to be.

9. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I can't say much about the differences between the readers, but I can speak from the perspective of the producer's side:

Don't get too caught up on ebook price, and don't expect them to come down much further, especially on the basis of their being digital. The only exception would be if some groundbreaking technologies came about.

Producers still gots ta get paid, and if you think digital conversion, delivery, and management comes nearly free, then you're mistaken.

You might be surprised at how little the price of that hardcover is to factor in printing and shipping costs, especially with something on the scale of a GRRM new release.

From what I've seen, I'd probably be equally satisfied with Kobo, Kindle, or the Sony Reader. It comes down to individual features. Be sure to do a cross-comparison. They're out there.

10. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I have the Kindle app on my phone. I dunno how it compares to an stand alone solution, but I really love the app, and it was free. :)

11. Innocentmiss

Innocentmiss Getting Tilted

I don't have a e-reader because I have to prioritise my purchases and tend to only buy one or two items of 'tech' per year. However I have kindle reader installed on my touch screen netbook, and I have it installed on my smart phone. I use it quite a lot as I always have my phone and or laptop with me. My friend also has a kindle and she has recently put the app on her phone as found herself forgetting to take her kindle with her.

12. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Well, I mean, obviously it didn't stop me from buying the book, but when I'm just buying text, and there's no brick and mortar store, no salesperson, no illustrations, etc. it's just hard for me to say "Yeah, that has a value of $15." I understand that lots of people have to get paid, and I understand it takes work to digitize a book, but it's definitely paying a premium price at release.

13. Borla

That's another great thing about the Kindle. I have the app on my phone and my laptop. It's awesome to read on my Kindle, be sitting somewhere with a couple minutes to kill and be able to pick up on the page I left off right on my phone, then when I turn on my Kindle it's synched to match where I left off on my phone.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Well, if you ask me, $15 really is the limit. I would call that a high price, but I think publishers are testing (or have tested) what people are willing to pay for new-release bestsellers. But prices vary, depending on the publisher and the marketplace.

If I were an ebook reader, would I pay $15 for an ebook? Sure. It beats paying $25 for a discounted hardcover or $35 - $38 full price. I'd be paying less than half of the cover price. But like I said, that's the most I'd pay.

I think a more reasonable price ranges from $5 to $12, depending on the book and when it's released. But that's assuming concurrent paperback sales. When things shift more towards digital, the lower price points might disappear unless sales volume can compensate.

I can't imagine selling a new-release ebook for less than $8 or $10 if you depend heavily on both printed and ebook sales for the title. I don't think publishers have enough volume to mitigate the risk of selling any lower. I imagine that many of the lower price points in ebooks are "dumping" (i.e. most of their money is still made in printed books). And you still have to watch out for terrible conversions in the files.

15. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I was a real skeptic about reading on an electronic screen.
    I get really bad eye-strain if I stay on the computer late at night, and I love reading at bed time.
    I decided to try the Kindle and I am very satisfied.
    No eye strain, love the classics that are free for download.

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Have you checked your public library? Ours has one of the Sony e-readers to check out, free of charge. You can also check out ebooks to put on any reader via the library here. I like the eInk used by the various readers--it is definitely less straining on the eyes and easy to read in all kinds of different light. I've only tried the Sony, but I found it easy to use, and it piqued my interest in buying one.

Project Gutenberg also has ebook versions of the classics to download.

17. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I have a Sony and that's why Xazy has one. I also have a Kindle original, and an iPad.

I like the Sony one because at the time it was the only thing that was touch screen. If I was to buy now? I'd buy the little nook because it is touch screen and small.

18. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

I've had my eye on a nook for a while now waiting for some extra cash to buy one.

19. Borla

If anyone is considering an e-reader right now, somewhere in the back of their mind thinks they might want a tablet as well, and isn't super concerned with pinching pennies, you might want to be patient. There are all kinds of rumors out there about a new Amazon device that is a tablet but will also be a superior e-reader. And if they follow one of the rumored business models, it might be a cheaper tablet than almost anything comparable on the market.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390439,00.asp

20. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

My wife just bought me a kindle for my birthday. I LOVE the library. I HATE paying retail for books. I'm waiting for amazon to arrange for the kindle to be used to read ebooks lent by libraries...