1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

E-Reader advice

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by CoffeeBee, Aug 15, 2011.

1. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

seeing as how they're a firm trying to maximize profit and they could stand to lose alot by going digital, i don't see why they'd make a move to go digital.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You need to look at it from a trend perspective. It's not about "going digital" overnight. Publishers, like any company, are constantly keeping abreast of market trends and where to expand. If the market moves towards digital, that opens up opportunities to make money. It starts small at first, and then it grows. This means that for some publishers it may be a good idea early on, while it may not make sense for others. As the market grows, there is more opportunity for sales and other publishers may follow.

If you compare sales between traditional publishing and digital, you may see that growth is much higher in digital than it is in traditional. You may also notice that traditional growth is flattening out in some areas and is muted in others. This is partly because the digital is cannibalizing the traditional. If consumers of textbooks as a percentage begin to increasingly consume digital products exclusively, cannibalization is unavoidable. This happens in trade publishing as well. People don't tend to buy both digital and paper-bound versions of books unless they come as a package.

The market grows, and either you follow it or you find yourself selling something that you can't sell enough of.

Sure the risks are there with digital textbooks and piracy, but with the proper stakeholders working to make the best of it, there is much more to gain than lose.

A set of paperbound Encyclopedia Britannica is a much tougher sell these days than it was twenty years ago. That's why they "went digital." And yet they still print despite the fact that 60% of their revenue comes from online operations. What was the alternative? Wither?

3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

They sell paperbound encyclopedias still in emerging markets following the same model as before, you get them and pay for them in installments.

4. Baraka_Guru

That makes sense. It's still interesting to see, however, just how digital they went.

Dictionaries are another thing. I still use a paperbound one, but I know there are excellent dictionary services out there.

5. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

I don't see any digital format replacing the printed book entirely in close future (say 20 years). A book is more than just text to read, it is also a culture or a mindset. I have couple of large format books that I don't see how the experience of using them can translate into digital world.
    But for daily reading I haven't found anything better than my ebook reader.

6. Baraka_Guru

I'm not sure whether any of the current tech has found a solution yet, but poets are generally disappointed with ebooks and how they fail to maintain the integrity of their art: Poetry And eBooks: Will Poems Ever Work In eBook Formatting? Huffington Post

7. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I have recently received some windfall cash, and used it to buy a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab2. It has a Kindle ap, but Calibre will not manage content on it.

I've solved the problem by moving the files manually and oddly the synch over the air brings in the page numbers from the physical Kindle.

The question I have is why do the author names not work? on the Kindle, everything sorts correctly as <surname>, <first name> using the sort author value assigned by calibre. All books have the display author field set to <first> <last>.

In the kindle ap, it seems to randomly use both options.

Any thoughts?

8. cynthetiq

the kindle app has some extra requirements for that over the air sync.

Use Aldiko as an android reader and calibre will work without any issue.

9. Daniel_

The OTA bit works fine, Cyn. It's the author names that are bugging me!

Will Aldiko share page data with a Kindle?

10. cynthetiq

If you are referring to what page you are on each book, no only kindle app delivered things seem to work that way.

11. cynthetiq

from my ipad to ipod touch it does work in this manner.

12. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

It's storing your usage and history via web service.

13. cynthetiq

Yes it uses iCloud to manage that magic trick. The difference is that it works for any and all books placed into iBooks, unlike Kindle which only synchronizes Amazon purchased books.

14. Daniel_

That's not the case.

I've used calibre to usb load .mobi files onto my kindle (3g keyboard) and later used usb to load the same books on my Samsung tab kindle ap.

The kindle synch to furthest page read function works.

As i said above this works fine, but the author names are messed up. For example on the kindle all of the barsoom books show the author as Edgar Rice Boroughs, and group them under Boroughs, sorted by publication date when i tell the kindle sort by author. The exact same files on the tab sort into half under Edgar, half under Boroughs, and the name on the listing being "Boroughs, Edgar Rice" in the latter case.

Under each set the books are in alpha order by title.

The synch between both devices still works despite this. All the files when reviewed in calibre show Author and Sort Author as Boroughs, Edgar Rice.

It is a minor issue, but it would be nice to fix.

15. cynthetiq

It's been a few Versions lemme try it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cynthetiq

Okay, I got it updated on the ipad/ipod touch. I didn't transfer it via usb or cable because it's a pain in the ass to do that. I usually just email it to myself and then open it in Kindle app or iBooks. In this case I did Kindle. The names of the author came out fine.

The sync pages did not. Nor did the books, meaning that I had to install the books on both devices. Usually I just put it into iBooks and it transfers them to all apple products associated to the account.

I'll keep trying it to see if I can't replicate your issue.

• Like Like x 1