1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

East Coast Earthquake

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Plan9, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Anybody else feel that?

The pictures hanging on the walls in my apartment are crooked.

CNN'd: Apparently it was centered somewhere in my backyard.

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Since I have quite a few friends still in VA and DC, this is alllll over my facebook news feed. Apparently, some friends in Ohio have even felt a tremor here in Columbus.

As for me, I didn't feel a thing, and I was occupied taking my anatomy final exam at the time. No excitement for me..

3. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Forget the east coast, how the hell was there an earthquake in Colorado?

• Like Like x 1
  4. RogueGypsy

RogueGypsy Vertical

How do you think the Rocky's were formed?

5. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

They sent out an office memo about aftershock/tremors here in Charlotte. Frankly, I think they're full of shit, and better than half the people saying they felt it are doing so for the sake of saying "oh yeah, I totally felt that wicked earthquake!"

6. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I read that in your avatar's voice. To be honest I read a lot of your posts in Randy's voice.

There is a gravel pit near my office, so I don't even notice it when things shake at my office. I didn't feel it but the building next to mine said they did.

7. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Colorado actually has a relatively active fault line running underneath it. It seldom does anything worth noting, but there are low grade earthquakes going on just to the east of the Rockies pretty often. Colorado is actually due for a "big" quake here in the next 10 years or so. I guess the last major one was 100-125 years ago, and they expect a 5-7 to hit on that fault at some point.

I've been texting my friend who lives in DC. Says everyone is ok, but that people are absolutely flipping shit. As a California resident, this makes me giggle.

8. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I was on I95/128. Never noticed it.

9. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

yeah i think it was a 5.5 and apparently there was a much smaller one this morning too. as for flipping shit, i haven't seen too much of that but when it happened the only thing i could think of was "oh fuck this is cool" and then went and talked to all my friends about it haha

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Apparently it registered up here in Toronto even, but I didn't feel anything.

Nothing major reported in Eastern Canada.

11. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Funny story: my mom has been freaking out about Hurricane Irene (for my sake. She still lives in Ohio.) She's a total Weather Channel Junkie. Thinking she would be glued to the TV today, I sent her a text that said, "hurricane AND earthquake!" ....she was out with my grandma and had no idea, so I accidentally completely freaked her out more. Oops.

Ftr, I didn't feel anything, but I work in a basement. I heard some rattling that I assumed to be kitchen shenanigans, which may or may not have been earthquake related. Everyone higher up in the building said it was shaking, though.

A couple friends in Columbus apparently felt it, and one of my cousins felt it in West Alexandria, Ohio. Weird.

12. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Felt it very strongly in our building in north Toronto - Sheppard & Vic Park. Our building was evacuated while the engineers went over it. Most likely we'll be back in it tomorrow.

It was quite the sliding shudder. lasted for about 20 secs

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

How odd.

You know it's possible I was outside walking at the time and didn't notice it. Also, maybe my area didn't really get much of it. I don't know how these things work.

14. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Catastrophe struck my sister's condo in VA (DC area). She's in tears over the fact that the quake dislodged three bottles of wine from her wine rack, and consequently, some alcohol was spilled.

15. Remy

Remy Vertical

a few here in Dayton felt it, they seem like they are about to act out a Southpark episode of pandemonium and chaos, runnnn fer yer liiiiiives!!!! they scream as they run out the door of their office to only get run over by a clown faced Semi Truck.

Being from SoCal, I prefer earthquakes over other natural disasters like Hurricanes, floods, blizzards.

16. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Idk, my last earthquake, I was on the 13th floor of a skyscraper wondering if the building was going to fall over (this was in Taiwan).

I prefer hurricanes. There's a lot of wind and rain and there's no electricity...but that's about it (unless it's a super hurricane and all the buildings are wiped out).

17. Rekna New Member

Why didn't Obama stop this from happening?

18. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

130 miles from the epicenter, I was sitting in my office and heard the windows flex, as they do when the wind is blowing outside. Then the floor, and my chair, started to shimmy. Initially I thought people were moving furniture around upstairs, or there was construction going on outside. I realized it was an earthquake when I realized the entire building was shaking. It was over after about ten seconds.

I'm glad I didn't miss it. I've slept through all my previous earthquakes.

19. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

No, but my office is next to a boiler room so my desk usually vibrates every day.

20. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2