1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Eating healthy on the road

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by samcol, Aug 11, 2011.

1. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i try to eat healthy most of the time which is fine when i'm home. however, i travel a lot and might spend a week or 2 in hotels every month. sometimes the hotels have fridges and microwaves, other times they dont.

eating apples tuna and almonds gets old really fast. any ideas on how to spice it up with very limited kitchen resources?

2. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Hummus and cut veggies, crackers, or pita slices - you can probably get that at the salad bar of most grocery stores.

Otherwise, if you're stuck eating out.. a lot of salads. Carry a water bottle (maybe one with a filter?) everywhere. Granola and dried berries as a snack? I also really like jerky as a snack, but I end up eating too much of it..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

FWIW, a good number of the entree-sized salads you'll get at casual dining restaurants are worse for you than just soup and half a sandwich.

I can't really offer any hot suggestions for what to eat for someone who actually tastes their food while they travel. I eat precooked meals. Cold.

Making your own trail mix works for some people. Mixing regular Cheerios with M&Ms (pick a variety) and raisins. Easy to eat the bag.

You can do interesting things with flatbread. Peanut butter and jelly rollups are portable and filling. They're fun to make, too. *Roll-squish.*

As far as tuna and apples getting old, you're talking to the wrong guy. I eat the stuff out of the can on my couch at home. I'm a little cuckoo.

While hardly hipster food, the regular old McDonald's hamburger isn't actually a bad alternative if you're in need of something to eat quickly.

Hit up the Google machine with "Eating Healthy at Fast Food Restaurants." A wealth of info to be had on what cheap crap is less lethal.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I am on the road about 75-80 nights per year, so I understand your struggle. One of the biggest things for me is drinking water only for most of the day, trying not to eat processed fast food as much as possible, and no late night snacks when I'm bored in my hotel room.

I eat a lot of lean steak for dinner (filet/tenderloin). It gives you protein, fills you up, but is relatively healthy. That and I've been trying to eat more grilled fish. Obviously those are both options you have to eat out at a restaurant in, but are usually easy to find.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Go to a grocery store deli counter.

The ones here, anyway, now have a wide array of prepared bulk foods both hot and cold ready to go, and you can get them in containers that would help store them (for a little while anyway). Try those mega groceries maybe. Even in "standard" ones here, they have just about any category of food you can think of: various salads (bean and grain), various Asian cuisines, various chicken dishes, potato dishes, pasta dishes, etc.

It's likely cheaper and healthier than a lot of other places, like restaurants and convenience stores.

Grocery stores also have bulk food sections, where you can get dried fruit and nuts and the like. Also consider buying dried soup/stew/noodle/chili mixes and asking for a cup of hot water when you grab a coffee from somewhere (also, many hotels have coffee makers that you can just run hot water through for the same purpose).

The best options, of course, are lembas bread and/or treasure-berries.

/nerd

6. Yeah, it is tough to do. I try to eat a reasonable breakfast, maybe just oatmeal. Salad for lunch. By dinner I can eat a full meal since I've been good all day. But it never is like eating at home.

7. Frankie

Frankie Slightly Tilted

That's a tough one. We bring sliced apples and other fruits and veggies. Pretzels nuts and pack a few sandwiches.

8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My BF, though not overweight, has high blood pressure and is supposed to follow a low sodium diet. Very hard to do on the road. Fruits, berries, fruit juice. Meat. like a burger. if you can get them to make it without added salt.