1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Economics of changing careers halfway through life?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/12/03/1435217/half-life-of-a-tech-worker-15-years

I'm not even sure if I will be able to make it to 15 years, I have worked full time for the last 8 years, and part time & college for 4 years... Is there a name other than retiring? I would consider becoming an inverter or photographer, or be willing to volunteer with the Red Cross or Engineers Without Borders.

The question I am faced with is what should I do? Where do I go from here?

I have enough money saved to live a minimalist lifestyle that would be more interesting than working, but I might have to sell my current home with the property taxes, insurance, HOA fees, utilities, etc... One option is to live on a sailboat and migrate north and south with the seasons. It would be nice to be in the Bahamas today instead of Ohio. The other option is to be a bicycle tourist for a few months. It would be an interesting way to see the world and be more relaxing than my 'vacations' I take now. (crazyguyonabike.com has a bunch of blogs about it)

The problem economically is, it is too easy to get the bi-weekly paycheck and decent health and dental benefits. I can plan a little bit, yet I am too burned out to do any real investing or the 'typical' retirement account plan (I do have more in a 401k and IRA than half the baby boomers, yet I'm 10-30 years younger than where people retire at normally).

My finances are pretty simple. I don't have a wife, kids, or pets. My hobbies are a little pricy at first, but once you have the gear it is cheap. And I know how to do free things. Unless I somehow could get my invention to market and sell a few thousand while I still have my day job, I'm afraid people would think I am crazy to give up a stable job now.

Have any of you changed careers or changed jobs? I'm not even sure if I would like a different job, but that is a different topic. Should I go watch Office Space, because I feel a lot like the engineers in that movie.