1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Embrace your inner comic geek

Discussion in 'Found on the Net' started by Ozmanitis, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a comic geek.

3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

been a comic geek forever

and actually everything that I got teased about when I was younger,
    is now cool and making tons of money

Now that I know this...if I can just invest into the stuff I like now...I'll be rich in 20 years.
    yeah...I'll be retired and old...but still comfortable. ;)

I used to be big into mostly the mainstream stuff and characters (xmen, spidey, JLA, etc....)
    Alternatives...not so much, but Vertigo was excellent...especially the Books of Magic series.

However, now...I don't like all the alternative storylines the mainstream has taken...it's like changing the flavor of Vanilla or CC Mint.
    So, now the alternatives are more interesting because they're different, without disrupting the continuity I love.

I think the key for me it, finding a good store near me.
    If I don't find a decent one, with a certain personality...I just don't go in.
    It's like going to that old-style bookstore to chill...something about it supersedes anything Amazon or Barnes & Noble could do.

4. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

Finding a good store is critical.

My kids and I plan our comic book store trips in advance because the shop we go to is 90 minutes away. I tried several local shops and was met with the stereotypical "comic snob" working the store. The shop we go to now has the most friendly and truly knowledgeable staff. We come from a different state and only make it in every 6-8 weeks but the owner and main staff people remember us and know me by name. They have helped turn my daughter onto some really cool series that she began sharing with her friends who eagerly await her to return from our trips down with new stuff for them to read.

My tastes tend to run more towards the alternative, horror, and noire. I am not into the capes and cowls too much. I really enjoy Warren Ellis, Brian K Vaughn, Garth Ennis and Ed Brubaker.

The new Before Watchmen comics have been surprisingly good and really capture the spirit of the source material. You can tell they are written by true fans of The Watchmen.

5. Ozmanitis

I agree, only a decent comic store will do. far to many stores now days have more toys then comics with no back issues, and "reek of commercial greed"

I have a few Vertigo issues. a #1 I think. along with a TMNT #1, a New Mutant #87, a Wolverine #1. to name a few. Now days I'm collecting the "Blackest Night" series from the Green Lantern line. Totally into the Blue Lantern story line.

6. mb99usa

mb99usa Getting Tilted

The shop I found is all about the customer. They have signings with authors and artists all the time. A customer loyalty reward program that is really geared toward the fan and not just to sell more books. They have a nice selection of toys, games, and novelties but the main focus are the books. If they don't have what you are looking for they will try to find it for you. The owner has been featured on websites on how to run a popular and successful shop. They are known nationally as one of the best shops on the east coast.

I have family in NJ and we've decided the next time we are out that way we are going to swing by and visit Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan and it will be cool to be able to say I was at the shop.

7. Xiomar

Xiomar New Member

We couldn't tell.. ;)

I have been wanting to check it out, because I am interested in the Blue Lantern story line... worth a check out, I should assume?

HUGE Green Lantern fan, BTW.

8. Ozmanitis

So it would seem, excellent avatar BTW,

The Blackest Night series is really good so far. I've only managed to get 0-4, but I'm going a Comic Book show this weekend. Hoping to get the others. Then I can get the 100 some odd cross overs.

9. Xiomar

Xiomar New Member

Hmmm.. i'm going to be heading to a nice comic shop nearby with the wife and kids this weekend... Maybe I'll start it.

10. Ozmanitis

Be sure it has back issues, because this series was released in 09. and most comics shop don't keep issues past a couple of months. Let alone a couple of years. And be sure to get "Green Lantern" #25 super-sized finale. It's where the whole Blackest Night series really starts.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I never really got into comics. I was a fantasy novel nerd. I did try a few comics when I was a teen. I remember buying issues #1 and #2 of a Conan sequence, and issues #20 and #21 of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. I enjoyed the former if I recall, while I thought the latter was just okay. I still have the AD&D comics somewhere I think.

I just never knew where to start with comics.

I'm a fantasy geek, but I never really got into much else. I think sci-fi is pretty cool. However, I never really was interested in superheroes, which rules a lot out, if I understand correctly.

That said, I've pondered reading some comics that I would be interested in. I tried the first bit of Bone, which I liked quite a bit but didn't continue with. I thought Watchmen was pretty cool (though the lack of interest in superheroes put a damper on that I think). I might want to try Conan again, but I'd rather finish reading the original stories first and the single novel Howard wrote. (I've read one of three omnibuses of the stories so far.)

I have Gaiman's Sandman on my reading list somewhere.

I also recently had Skullkickers come to my attention. I downloaded the first issue for free on a sleek iPhone comics app I have. I've read a few pages so far, and it looks really cool. It's a tongue-in-cheek fantasy comic that plays around with cliche and tropes. I found out that the local library has the omnibuses. Well, the first two anyway.

That brings up another thing. I'm not sure if I'd be into the collecting thing. I'd sooner just buy (or borrow) the omnibus collections and read them that way.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any cool fantasy comics that I might like, I wouldn't mind some recommendations.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  12. Ozmanitis

If you like fantasy reading..then surly you know R.A. Salvatore..the author of the "Drizzt Do'Urden" series. Well, they have a Drizzt Comic out based on the entire adventure group that is pretty good.

And if are really into AD&D like I'm, then I highly recommend the "Knight's of the Dinner Table" comic. it really isn't so much about an adventure group..but about the gamers playing the game. Very funny and for a gamer, totally worth reading.

13. Baraka_Guru

Yes, I'm aware of the comic series, though I'd sooner read the books first, I think. I've read the first two Drizzt trilogies and have considered continuing on with it. I dunno. Maybe I should just read the comics instead? It's not like I'm expecting the novels to be fantastic.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

14. Xiomar

Xiomar New Member

Yea... I have read all of the Drizzt series... AWESOME. I'll have to check that out.

Knights of the dinner table... Gonna HAVE to get that too! THANKS!

15. Ozmanitis

16. Baraka_Guru

Neat. My AD&D issues are worth less now than when I bought them.

17. Ozmanitis

LOL, hate it when that happens.

Don't feel too bad, I one time bought a really hot comic called "Nam" for $40, current value..less then $5. :mad:

18. Xiomar

Xiomar New Member

I remember that one! Hahaaa... I got a number one of "Scout"... Not sure what it is worth... pretty sure not much, lol!

4 bucks. :\

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  19. Baraka_Guru

Actually, I was wrong. I paid $1.85 per issue, and they're now valued at $3.00 each. According to the Bank of Canada, $1.85 in 1990 is now worth $2.86.

The Canadian dollar is now on par with the U.S. dollar, and so I'm up $0.14. :)

Well, until you consider the sales tax I paid.... It was $0.15 per issue.

I'm down a penny each. :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  20. Ozmanitis

Had a great comic show today, sold a few comic I've been wanting to unload and found some really deals on others. A Walking Dead #100 chrome, A slabbed Venom #1, a Blackest Night #2, and a couple old Dr Who.

I think I spent more then I made, But had a great time with other dealers and the guest artist. Looking forward to the next show in January. the guest is scheduled to be Lou Ferrigno.