1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Let me put it this way: An EMP fries a lot of electronics, yes, but it is not a magic death wave like it's made out to be. It's subject to the laws of electricity, which means there are definite and effective ways to protect against its effects. As an example a powerplant could just keep backups of all its essential EMP-fryable parts inside a small faraday caged closet and bam, the spares are bulletproof. It may not even affect things inside certain structures or underground.

And since there's no major infrastructure disruption aside from electronics it's perfectly possible for society to keep moving. Ever see a grocery store use hand-checkouts when the registers crash or after a hurricane?

If you want to be worried about a doomsday scenario someone actually dropping those nukes for their original purpose would suck a LOT more than getting EMPed.

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

What if all the trucks that deliver food to the grocery stores get fried? How are you going to use a credit card to buy the food if there is no power and no communications? Old tractors and trucks might still work, but even harvesting the crops will take a big effort.

I've seen the giant EMP generator the military has, but I don't know anything about it or if the power companies have started protecting certain transformers and having quite a few spares around.

3. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

if we're assuming valid premises in the EMP attack scenario argument, how many power plants keep spare parts in Faraday cage closets? I'll have to double check, but I don't think any around here do since the last time I took a tour about ten years ago.

Again, most EMP attacks are nuclear, so it's not a likely threat.

4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I'd think a high-altitude nuclear EMP attack would be much more likely than an actual nuclear explosion utilized for physical destruction.

At least strategically it makes sense, it would affect a much wider area and would go down better with the international community, especially since there's little radiation effect on the population and no "real" destruction/killing involved.

If a country and its military are not well prepared against EMP, even better for the attacking side.

5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

My point was more the ease of doing it, not that they did. Rarely, if ever, does any organization do what's best in the long term over what allows them to loot the most in the short term in this country.

7. thetemplar

thetemplar Vertical

Not really clear on the science of it all..but isn't there some kind of lead shielding you can put around a device that protect it from a EMP?

8. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Well, lead might work, but it's more economical to construct a farraday cage that blocks the radiation waves. Effectively, you want something that you're not going to get any radio signal through, since that's the exposure here.

Lead would work, but it would be bulky, heavy and expensive. It's a lot easier to make a wire cage out of the right materials.

9. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Chicken wire should do it. The key thing is that the holes have to be smaller than the wavelength you're trying to stop.

An awful lot of things are already faraday cages without you thinking about it. A spare parts store in a metal framed warehouse, filled with metal shelves (all earthed) is probably an effective faraday cage.

Most concrete structures include enough re-bar and metalwork that they are pretty impeneterable to radio waves.

EMP is not an issue if you know it's coming - just switch everything off, and disconnect as many things as you can to reduce induced currents. The problem with the power grid is that power distribution cables are bloody great big radio antennae, but having a fast acting circuit breaker will cut them off if an EMP spikes current into the system.

There are several ways to make an EMP without a nuclear explosion - just watch Ocean's Eleven, or read Cryptonomicon.... :p

10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

a big ass microwave would work. right??

if you were underground would it still get you??

11. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

As far as I can remember, the answer is "it depends".

How deep, how thick is the rock, what water and metal ore content does it have, and so on.

12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Not too many people live underground though.

I think they should in a lot of places. Earthquakes can be a problem though.

13. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

answers that question....