1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Ender's Game

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by GeneticShift, Mar 25, 2013.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

So, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is one of my all time favorite books, and this came up on Reddit today:

[​IMG]
    The official poster has finally been released!

IMDB link:
    Ender's Game (2013) - IMDb

I'm really excited.

But, back to the point. Have you read it? Did you like it? Why/why not? What do you hope to have included/left out/expanded on in the movie?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've devoured the whole cycle. While Ender's Game is amazing, I found the whole Shadow sub-series even more so. Where Card goes philosophically and psychologically in Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide is mind boggling considering some of the political crap he's spewed. But that is a digression this thread doesn't deserve.

The entire Enderverse rivals Asimov's Robots/Foundation universe as one of my all-time favorites. Throw the Dune sagas in the mix, as well.

I remember reading the original short work back in 1977 and really liking it. The novel blew me away. OSC was one of the first authors writing for adults that I'd encountered that took the thought processes and emotions of children seriously. The devious nature of the military/political culture was openly acknowledged. And, in the end, a disillusioned young "hero" follows his heart and conscience. I really hope the film stays true to all of this.

I also hope that they leave the story open-ended and follow quickly with a Speaker for the Dead sequel. The author said that the novel treatment of Ender's Game was entirely intended as a prelude to Speaker. Hell, I'd love to see the entire series retold for the big screen. There are 19 stories out with #20 anticipated!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

You can rest assured that if this does well, they will make as many of the sequels as they can.

4. GeneticShift

I absolutely love the whole Shadow series, I devoured it, as well as a good chunk of the entire series itself, I believe I've made it through 11, and clearly I have a few more to go! The emotional, psychological, philosophical, and political depth he gets into is mind blowing. I could reread these books I've already read tens of times and find something new to discover every single time.

I've heard a few things about the movie I'm not too sure about. For one, they're focusing more on relationships, and very little time in the battle room. I think really making the intensity of the relationships and interconnections of the characters well known is important, but since such a huge portion of the book takes place in the battle rooms, I'm not sure how they'll portray everything.

I am really excited about the casting for the most part, though. I think they'll do a good job.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've considered reading this book as one of my forays into science fiction, but I've been reluctant because of some of the things I've read about it. Some readers take moral issue with the main character, and more than one critic has pointed out the book's fascist undertones. Add to that the fact that the author is a hateful prick, and this book has dropped down on my list of science fiction to read.

If the movie gets more than an average score, I'll probably see it in the theatre though. The premise is interesting at least.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was pretty deep into the series before I became familiar with Card's unsavory side. Extreme conservative and libertarian attitudes are not uncommon among Sci-fi authors. Political themes can run the gamut. I try not to let that get in the way of my enjoyment of a well written story.

7. GeneticShift

I'm with grumpyolddude - I was addicted before I knew how batshit crazy he was. That is pretty common in the genre though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

great cast in there with harrison ford, ben kingsley, and the kid who played hugo as ender...

9. GeneticShift

[​IMG]

I need this tattoo that I found on Buzzfeed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

919107_619844711377273_74727804_o.jpg

Mazer Rackham (Sir Ben Kingsley)

Ender's Game wallpaper
    [​IMG]

Additional 'great cast': Valentine is played by Abigail Breslin and Petra by
    Hailee Steinfeld.

I've read Ender's Game--and the whole Shadow series.
    As the series went on, I wondered about Ender's mom and dad, who seemed sort of like stick figures--not filled out. They produced three brilliant children--how?

Bean, because of the great friend he was to Ender and the man he became was one of my favourites and Valentine for her strength, devotion and fearlessness. I found Ender emotionally remote though I realize that he has a great well of emotion; it's below the surface, though--way below so I didn't really feel for the character as I might have.

I don't have any demands of the movie. Movies are not books and I'm firmly in the camp of 'remove yourself from book expectations,' while viewing the film. If the film can stand alone as a well-told story with fleshed-out characters (we don't have to worry about the acting--see cast list) I'll be satisfied.
    Frankly, the current trailer looks a bit cheesy so between now and the Nov 1 premiere I'd like to see something more compelling to get the non-book readers interested.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  11. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

12. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I personally hated the book (I only read the first one)... not that it was very badly written, but on the basis of the morality of the message.

It's only my opinion, but for me I find it hard to get into something when I find the "hero" to be detestable and yet the author seems to not find him or her so...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cubby

Cubby Vertical

Loved the Ender's games books but I'm thinking I'm missing a few if #20 may be coming out. I've read the shadow series as well as the originals. Can't wait for the movie!
    Strange Famous..I'm not sure what makes you think the hero is detestable? Not sure you can explain without spoilers here for those that haven't read it but I am curious. (It has been a while since I've read it so I may have to go back an read it with your comments in mind).

14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Ender's Game is the one where we're supposed to admire Space Hitler because he's a true prodigy and totally not aMarty Stu, and sympathize with him because none of the horrible things he does are really his fault, right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cubby

Cubby Vertical

MSD: Marty Stu? I'm presuming you mean a male Mary Sue? I hadn't heard of that until today so thank you for enlightening me to a new term (I had to look it up).

16. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

In my opinion he was a psychopath. He beats another kid to death in a prolonged and brutal assault. A normal person stops hitting somebody before they die. That isn't something that a normal 8 or 9 year old is capable of. The system around him makes him more violent, more aggressive, more unstable - but his basic lack of empathy or morality is right inside him at the core of his personality.

17. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Yup.

18. SO CLOSE TO FINISHING THE BOOK.

I rode to Marquette and back today (about 180 miles round trip) and finished all but the last 30 pages of the book. I'm finishing it tomorrow, and then immediately heading to the public library to see if they have Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and the others. I really, really hope they do.

19. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

So, who's going to see the movie this weekend? :) I won't be able to go Friday night (I'm performing!!), but I will probably go Saturday or Sunday.

20. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

We are going next weekend as we are booked this weekend. Just had a discussion at dinner last night about this and it's possible sequels. It's been awhile since I last read anything from the series but I am pretty darn excited about the film adaption. My son turned me on to the books when he was 15 (about 6 years ago). Please tell us what you think and have fun!