1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette and common courtesy

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by davynn, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Wow. Having been off for some days...... Speaking as a post menopausal female of the species - reading through, its like a lot of posters started taking HRT and suddenly their supplyer got busted, and they are goin cold turkey.
    To the original post - yes, if I were not happy with where I was seated, I would ask to be moved and would have made an excuse like having a thing about not having my back to the door, or being nearer to the toilets or further from the kitchen if pushed to save the other diner feeling like he was being negatively judged because of his cleft palate, poor upbringing - whatever - does it matter. We used to ask to be moved from tables near smokers - although smokers with manners would ask if you minded.
    Borla - the pub is a place where you may take a babe in arms, but once they have outgrown that stage they tend to be welcome in the garden like the poor dogs who have to suffer them - or maybe in a 'family room' where they can sit with all the other parents and their children, and boast about them and praise them to each other - and those wishing for a quiet pint and adult conversation can have just that. Of course they can eat - and drink - in the restaurant area of the pub - but parents should be prepared to parent when they are out too.
    Perhaps a more blatant disregard for manners and etiquette was the fact that when that passenger ship was grounded/sinking - was that last week or the one before - men were pushing their way past women and children to get to the lifeboats - doubtless following the example of the captain who had most probably left before most of them anyway. I am pretty sure someone going through HRT withdrawal will find a way of justifying his actions - most likely without the benefit of experience in commercial shipping. There's something to be said for keel hauling.

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Anyone else find it interesting that the same sorts of folks who came up with 'etiquette' came up with ideas like 'keelhauling'?
    Ah, civilization. One must not be caught brandishing a mien of ill manner or you'll be dragged under the boat.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Its a nautical thing. A captain is responsible for the safety of his passengers, he is not supposed to enter the lifeboats and abandon ship leaving his crew and passengers behind. All this because he wanted to wave at his mates house so he sailed so close he holed his vessel.
    If you put etiquette into the equation, he would have been helping ladies and children into the lifeboats, instead of leaving them to sink or swim so to speak. Guess to some that would be a foul and wrong move. Ah. Horse urine. Somebody break open another bottle!

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I guess i'm a little lost as to how this scenario relates to this conversation. Or 'female problems' for that matter. But by all means, bottoms up!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Last night I was sitting in a fabulous Filipino restaurant that I had been meaning to get to for about 3 years now and watching the poor manners of many of the individuals there alongside those that were more highbrow and seeing that it was just what it needed to be. Filipinos come from all classes from rich to poor and they all have their own manners from continental style to "kamayan" eating with their hands.

When it comes to a local joint, it's all good. I mean I couldn't have expected more or less from the clientele.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I always thought that etiquette -the table manners variety- came about in the Victorian era as a vehicle for the idle wealthy to have something to motivate them.

"OMG! Do you see that commoner?!"

"He's using his salad fork for cutting his steak!"

"Who let him in here?"

"I must leave, this horrible display is too distressing!"

In light of Cyn's post, perhaps I'm being too Eurocentric.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

No-no, tell us more.

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Filipinos are adept at cutting their steak with a spoon.

9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

After much sincere deliberation, I've developed the theory that etiquette came about in order to keep white folks from doing to each other the things that they've been doing to brown people pretty much ever since.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jannista

jannista Vertical

I love it how some people are totally oblivious to the world around them, you know what you have to do in this position? Blame the parents.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Pages 1-7 called. They wanna talk to you.

• Like Like x 8
  12. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

You know, I so want to be nice but find it impossible after two Makers and Diets at 3 in the afternoon.

Oblivious is an ironic word to use in your post. But keep posting. You'll be able to show us your link soon enough.

13. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

diets?

14. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Yes, Diet Coke. I'm an adict.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

You remind me of my Marketing professor. Retired navy squid and drinks 12 cans of Diet Coke a day, easy.

16. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

bet he can spell... :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Mmm, it's not proper etiquette to correct the trivial spelling errors of successful white people with college degrees.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I say "yes ma'am" all the time.
    No one ever notices until I'm out of the south and then I get laughed at.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Generally, when I say "ma'am" to a lady she says something about being too young to be called ma'am.

20. I even "yes ma'am"my kids.