1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Dune

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by genuinemommy, Mar 30, 2019.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Great comparison
    I’m looking forward to the new one.

I fell in love with the original movie
    Then again, I was more into symbolism and mysticism than most people.
    I don’t think the original succeeded in theaters because the general public back then didn’t want to think about all the connections.

These days, I think the general audience is more in tune to this kind of abstract and subtle movie.
    Being more familiar with fantasy, magic, superheroes, sci-fi on a greater scale.

And they can dive into it more
    With the web, videos, taking things apart, pausing, slo-mo and various discussion groups
    They have a lot more “at hand” and a willingness to dive in.
    Much more sophisticated than when the original was released.

I think this will be much more successful

Then again, David Lynch has always been an acquired taste

• Like Like x 1
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Ooh! There's already a thread!
    What did y'all think of the new Dune?

3. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

How am I just now seeing this? We DID watch Dune @DamnitAll...

To the General question - I really enjoyed this newer movie - especially when I realized that it was only the first of a planned two part movie set, and that the second movie has now been greenlit. One of my chief problems with Lynch's 1984 version is that all of the Fremen uprising under Paul Muadib is kind of glossed over in about 5 minutes and I was afraid the same thing was going to happen here as I watched the clock get closer to the end of the movie with no way to have that resolution.

I haven't read the original book in a while, so I can see that I need to add it to my list of books to read soon. I think part 2 is projected to be released in 2023?

• Like Like x 3
  4. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Saw the new movie last night and it might be my new favorite movie, period. I loved it. I recently re-listened to the audiobook and watched the 1984 movie (had never seen that one). I love this new movie so much!

• Like Like x 3
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I saw the new one finally...and it didn't disappoint.

However, I'll say that I liked it AND the David Lynch version.
    Both better than the book.

The new one was subtler and spiritual...Lynch's, colorful and symbolic. (and done in one movie)
    The new went for more swordplay and subtitles...Lynch's for mental whispers.

I will say the older movie struck me when I was in an existential mood...so the phrases stuck with me...and stuck over the years. "The sleeper must awaken"
    But I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel for the update.

6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I want to see it again in the theater.
    I might try to catch it next week.
    It's absolutely stunning and has stuck with me. Re-reading the book again has given me more context that I want to take into the theater.

• Agree Agree x 1