1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Ex patriotism... interesting proposition vid.

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by boink, Aug 5, 2023.

1. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

View: https://youtu.be/ngiTNMLC60s

I first watched these folks vid on 4 nice houses for sale in Ecuador. Then I saw this one and just thought it's an interesting idea.
    Their vid about culture shock coming back to the US for a visit is interesting too.
    Definitely interesting but dang it's be super hard to leave my work as I do feel a strong kinship with my co workers.

These folks are definitely happy with the trade offs, whatever they are. I'm not sure what all they feel they have traded other than they did mention how we have a super deluxe freeway system. But they can comfortably walk to most places.

Better than economic enslavement to the medical industry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I was thinking of moving to Portugal.
    Porto or the north

Too many move to Lisbon and the south.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

While I certainly understand the desire to get way from the current (going back six years) situation in the US, I don't see it as a long term solution.

A guy on another forum where I was active made many posts about living in Costa Rica, running a tree farm. It sounded like a nice living as long as you had patience, could live without urban luxuries & entertainment, and didn't mind the occasional shakedown (reasonable, & done very politely) from local law enforcement.

Re Portugal...
    I admit to being unduly influenced by news reports that are probably greatly exaggerated. It's my
    (mis?)understanding the areas away from the large cities can be rather rough, with law enforcement being lax to nonexistent.

4. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Well....yeah. I'd need some pushing.
    But, not hard to imagine the NeoConfederacy blowing up enough to push me.
    Imagine trump going to prison, and events ramp up like power stations getting shot up and trucks, stopped under bridges spontaneously combust, destroying the bridge.
    All sorts of other sort of passive aggressive to full out violence popping up more than random gun violence now.
    It's not really a stretch to imagine martial law and just overall faster downward spiral here.
    And lots of values dropping along the way limiting your "freedom of wealth" day by day.
    Before you know it you don't have the "fuck you money" you once had.
    These folks also go into healthcare landscape and in 'murica, free stuff is immoral. Not to say foreign healthcare is free but it is way way cheaper.
    In the US you accept getting financially ass fucked for (until recently) a few brand name boner pills. Guaranteed that realization has caused clinical depression in many older dudes whan that time came about and their insurance wouldn't pay for the pills or the counseling for the depression, because money is to be made and sex is an immoral luxury and not part of ones normal mental/psychological health ???
    Just healthcare got these people to bail out.

So...musing....sell the house and pocket $700k to ?? Who knows how much money in clear equity and scoot out.
    Arrive in Ecuador and buy 4 houses OUTRIGHT, rent 3 and live on the income + the social security hopefully still sent from America (after paying tax from that thanks Ronald Reagan your the best ever president)
    Use the rental incomes to pay locals for maintenance on these houses...
    Rented to who ? Maybe locals or travelers. No idea really.

With the internet you would still have almost all the media you could ever have time to consume.
    I wouldn't expect Amazon fulfillment overnight but I have bought items off eBay from around the world and %99.99+ has arrived, so it is conceivable stuff gets to these other places too.
    I would be looking to use the shipping system to sell stuff I would make to add to my income. Or maybe contract to have products made per my designs.

Local pal tells me, he knows a guy who invented a magnetic David, like Michaelangelo's David for your fridge. He comes with magnetic clothes and accessories.
    It sells big in the city art museum gift shop, them other city's call and want in their museum gift store. It blows up, dude makes bank, sells the whole operation and leaves for a Greek island for a chill life without the American screaming shit show of social constipation and political insanity !
    It can happen !

Anyway...still I do agree its a really hard thing to get your head around.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Portugal looks very cool for sure. Just one thing off the top of my head....it's closer to the self inflicted non existent sky wizard motivated Armageddon.
    I mean I sure don't think it needs to happen but enough people do and something that may as well be Armageddon happen just a hop and skip over in Jerusalem and Palestine etc.
    I'd rather be