1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Extreme Case Modding (and other home tech geek queries)

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Lucifer, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I was planning on running a wire between one of the mobo standoff to the HD cage and to the PSU to make sure everything grounded to the PSU. I read about that on one of the modding forums.

As to another OS, I've wanted to try WHS since it was released, and have read extensively on it. Like I said, it was only $48, so if it's a dud, I'll try CentOS.

2. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Good call, sounds like you're a step ahead of the game here.

3. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Home Server Build Day 2!

Today got off to a good start, I ran up to the local knockoff of Home Despot, and picked up some screws, washers and bolts for securing the radio chassis to the bottom of the case. I also picked up some vibration dampening rubber. I used some self-adhesive rubber strips that I found in the plumbing dept for wrapping pipes. When I got home, I took the chassis and mobo tray out of the case and used the rubber strips on the bottom of both.

[​IMG]

This photo shows the power supply bolted in, the original radio dial back in place and a radio tube in for kicks. I put the power LED in behind the radio dial and dremeled a hole in the bottom of the radio tube for the HD LED.

[​IMG]

I moved everything out to the dining room table, and got grounded for installing the mobo.

I installed the CPU, Cooler and the RAM before screwing the mobo to the tray. In hindsight, I should have installed the SATA connector, power switch, reset switch, speaker, and LED connections before I did that, cause they were a cast iron bitch to do once it was screwed in, but I persevered. Here I have the radio on it's side to make my life easier:

[​IMG]

Everything is connected and right-side up again:

[​IMG]

The addition of the rubber strips, made the hard drive cage rather tight, in fact, it's so tight, it's almost wedged in, needless to say I only used a few screws to secure it to the top of the case

[​IMG]

Everything is in place, screwed in and the big question is: Will it POST?

Holy Fuck, the goddamn thing works!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Nice. The red light is an interesting touch too... makes me think of a gaslamp HAL.

"Apologies, Sir David, but I can not allow you to do that."

5. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I know what would be fun - Let's build another one!

A couple of weekends ago, Seamaiden and I went to an auction and we picked up a 3 box lots of old clocks and parts. when we got it home and unpacked, we discovered we had 7 antique wall and mantle clock frames, 3 bulkhead clocks and 15 brass interior frames and assorted parts. I was looking at one of the best and musing about whether I could fit a computer inside it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior dimensions are 6 7/8" wide, by 14 1/2" high by 2 3/4" deep. To say it's going to be tight is an understatement. I can't find any mini-ATX format mobos, so I'll have to use a mini-ITX, which at 6.7 inches should barely fit. Here's the part list that I have:

FSP Group FSP300-60LG 300W Mini ITX / Flex ATX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory

Intel BOXD525MW Intel Atom D525@ 1.8GHz (Dual Core) BGA559 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

EVERCOOL FAN-EC4007M12CA 40mm Case Fan

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

All together it comes to about $300. The SSD is the most expensive part at about $110. Seamaiden doesn't need a computer for much, just browsing, so the Atom CPU should be fine.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Cooling that's going to be tricky, I think your best bet would be to just cut an intake in the bottom, exhaust on the top, and mount the fans externally.

What'd have been really cool is if you could swing a laptop-into-tablet hack to fit something like that, so you flip it open and BAM touchscrean.

7. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

That's why I picked the 40mm case fan, it'll fit at the top but won't be seen from the front. I'm not too worried about the overall cooling with the atom processor and an SSD. It's just going to be a desktop (?) actually a wallmount 'tower' for Seamaiden. She doesn't game or do anything intensive with her comp.

8. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

First step was taking the clock apart. Someone had patched it up sometime in the past with hot glue, which needed to be cut, melted and sanded off.

[​IMG]

This shows the back, with the mobo standoffs installed and the I/O tray glued into one of the side pieces.

[​IMG]
    I swear to God, this is the cutest little mobo I've ever seen, 6.7 cm per side with passive cooling.

[​IMG]
    Gluing the side back onto the bottom. I used cyanoacrylate glue which is basically superglue, followed by screws.

[​IMG]
    Doing a trial fit with all components, I discovered the PSU, small though it is, wouldn't fit inside the case with the hard drive cage, so I had to do some serious improvising with it. I cut some thin aluminum from an old case and fashioned a PSU tray under the clock. This is where I had originally intended it to go, which helps with keeping the weight down low.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The case back attached to the bottom with the mobo installed and the power cables routed from the bottom. I attached the back to the bottom the same as the sides, superglue followed by screws. I intend to pull the main power cabling back through to the bottom and attach the other cables to the right side so they won't block airflow. I might install a 2nd 40mm case fan opposite the mobo on the left side bottom where it can draw in air across the RAM and the CPU

[​IMG]
    The top piece with the hard drive cage attached. Hidden behind the top piece is a 40mm case fan for venting. I've cut two vent holes in case I decide to add another 40mm case fan later. I'm on hold for a couple of days while I hunt down a molex to casefan adapter cause the case fan wires are too short to reach the mobo, and I don't want to cut and splice. There is enough space left in the case to add a 60mm fan to the back if heat is a problem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

[​IMG]

The completed computer.

[​IMG]

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. After it had run for 24 hours, I unplugged one of the case fans, cause there didn't seem to be a need for it. The remaining case fan is still exhausting cool air even after running over the hard drive.

• Like Like x 2
  10. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

You know, if you're enjoying building these things, you might see if there's a market for them. I could think of a couple people who wouldn't mind having an old-fashioned radio PC. Hell, I wouldn't mind myself, it'd make a great HTPC.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

[​IMG]
    You should put this behind the glass. Or use a thin veneer of wood and spray painted thin metal gears glued to the wood.

Or major geek points if you make the gears move when the computer is on.

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

That's getting into the realm of steampunk casemodding... not that there's anything wrong with that mind you. Personally though if I were going that far I'd just say the hell with it and go all out, hack up some old steam engine style gauges for system temps and whathaveyou.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That is the point. Seeing computer parts in a antique wooden case just isn't quite right. You could also use a thin sheet of cloth or something behind the glass. (make sure it doesn't burn)

14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Asu I was agreeing, just with the addition that imho it's worth the slight extra effort to go ahead and make whatever you do add actually a functional part. So for example if you stick a bunch of dials and pipes on there you may as well go ahead and run some wires through and hook the dial up to the fan controller and have it displaying fan speed and temp readouts.

15. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

That is the eventual plan, but I need to acquire some specialized tools for clockmakers first. I thought I'd wire a small motor to the HD indicator LED header and use it to turn some gears.

16. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Time to visit the local makerspace, I'm willing to bet that you've got some steampunks near you that would be happy to help you find what you need at good price.

17. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I wish we had a makerspace here!

18. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

There are nerds everywhere, you don't have anything near you?

19. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

There seems to be a group trying to get one going, but it's been static for about a year now without any real movement.

20. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Here is my latest project: A computer inside a picture frame for wall-mounting. With a wireless keyboard and mouse, it'll be perfect for somewhere space limited like our kitchen.

[​IMG]
    My mobo of choice for this one is the Avatar APC, a $65 computer that runs Android. You can find out more about it here: www.apc.io

[​IMG]
    Closeup of the power switch.

[​IMG]
    I used an ACER 18.5" monitor, which I removed from it's case, here I've got the system boards for the monitor mounted on standoffs inside the shadow box frame.

And, of course, they're on the wrong side for the monitor connections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here they are, switched around and remounted with the monitor secured and matted in the other half of the frame.

[​IMG]
    Everything except the power cords in place and secured with hot glue.

and OMG, the fucking thing works!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6