1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Fashionable Male Fashion Trends Currently Trending in Fashion

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by OtherSyde, May 14, 2014.

1. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

I have a strong preference to dress classy - not in classy situations specifically, just as a default fashion. I love wearing striking solid-color custom-tailored button-down shirts with vests and Italian-style flat-tip dress shoes, and I dream of having an entire collection of custom-fit suits soon. I haven't been able to properly express this desire here in Hawaii because it's so God damn hot and humid all the time and everyone dresses super-casual anyway (and that's fun and chill in and of itself; I do what I can to match and coordinate colors), but when I move to San Diego in October and start hitting the Gas Lamp Quarter, I'm gonna be like Barney Stinson: Suited up at all times.

bs3.jpg

Or like Ianto Jones: Also suited up at ALL times...

ianto-jones-7.jpg
    Ianto-B-Ball.jpg

Even when in combat. Especially when in combat.

Ianto-In-Flight.jpg
    Ianto-ChildrenOfEarth.jpg

Speaking of which, does anyone who likes to party live in or near the San Diego area?

• Like Like x 1
  2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

So @OtherSyde you're a fan of Captain Jack and Ianto Jones.
    How often do you play Naked Hide and Seek?
    And do you cheat?

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I go out there periodically, since I lived there for 12 years.
    I'll likely miss ya this year, I'll be doing a summer swing-around. (but the comic-con is there, so I'm always trying to get tiks for that)

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Relevant - "The Suit"

Also relevant:

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OtherSyde

I don't have anyone to play with me :(

Hrm... According to this article, I am "dangerously disillusioned." :confused: I can see how someone could be dangerously delusional, but how can you be "dangerously" in touch with reality and free of delusion..?

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Focus on the point of the article.

7. OtherSyde

I know I know, get your suit fitted right. And don't buy ridiculous ones on deployment. I attended properly to both of these matters. I'm just concerned about being to disillusioned! :eek: Like maybe I need more delusion in my life?

8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Waistcoats are the shit.

More men should wear them.

Like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

If you want some information on men's clothing: Put This On

• Like Like x 1
  10. OtherSyde

So... a "waistcoat" is like a sort of long sport coat or suit top..?

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

A waistcoat is, what we in North America call, a vest.

When in formal wear, it was (still is) considered improper to show your waist. One would always wear a waistcoat under your dinner jacket. In warmer parts of the world, it became fashionable to wear a cummerbund to cover your waist, as it was cooler (it was invented by British troops in India, if I recall correctly).

Formal wear would have been proper white tie with tails.

[​IMG]

The tuxedo, black tie, shawl collar, etc. was considered quite informal. Gasp! It didn't have tails! It was first made popular by the Prince of Wales.

Of course, in a world where dressing up means putting on your very best golf shirt and kakhis, it is now considered formal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Very James Bond :cool:

13. snowy

I dislike the word vest. There are so many different kinds of vests, whereas if I say waistcoat, formal wear is assumed.
    --- merged: May 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM ---
    Now, if you could all dress like this, that would be great, thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

I enjoy formal wear, I have an excellent Hugo Boss suit I look fabulous in, but unfortunately I have almost no opportunity to wear it and you can forget about black tie and tails.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Solid black suits are for weddings, movie star galas and funerals. Outside of those three areas they look cheap regardless of cost. Black with some type of texture/striping/pattern is okay.

16. snowy

Is it tailored to fit you? I really like the lean look of a good Hugo Boss suit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

I lost a good deal of weight a few years ago and was going on a cruise. I had a tux I had not worn in a few years and I went to try it on. I looked like a kid putting on his dads clothes. It was unalterable and my current suit was getting a bit thread bare so I got a tailored Hugo Boss which I used for formal nights (couldn't justify buying a new tux and suit). I've had to have it taken in twice (brag brag) but it fits very well.

I'd wear something like in your photo in a heart beat, but I don't get invited to too many celebrity galas.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OtherSyde

I love Hugo Boss, but it's been a very long time since I've owned anything of that brand.

I like the word vest, but you're right that it's way too vague of a word. "Waist coat" makes me think of a coat though, and a vest covers so much more than your waist... There needs to be a more properly descriptive term for this article of clothing. A classy term.

19. snowy

Uhhh, waistcoat!
    --- merged: May 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM ---
    You could, of course, learn to wear a waistcoat like Mr. Darcy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

This tends to be more my style, just replace the cowboy hat with a yarmulke (black of course).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1