1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Quotations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by redravin, Apr 5, 2014.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I just came across this line while reading, and man....yep.

"Kids take everything straight, no chaser. It's later on we all start bullshitting ourselves."

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jon Quixote

Jon Quixote Vertical

Four words:
    "Live together, die alone."
    -Lost

3. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Holy Warrior

John McClane: Yippee-ki-yay, mother****er. "

• Like Like x 2
  4. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Sir, are you classified as human?"

Korben Dallas: "Negative: I am a meat popsicle."

• Like Like x 2
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

From Douglas Adams' HGTTG...

"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
    (and just to twist your noodle more... Link :D )

This planet has — or rather had — a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

DON'T PANIC

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

More sap:

Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. —Robert Heinlein

Because of you, I can feel myself slowly but surely becoming the me I have always dreamed of being. —Tyler Knott Gregson

• Like Like x 1
  8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I was watching/listening to the Pale Blue Dot earlier, and while I love the whole bit, this is the first third or so:

"Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

Cheers, Carl Sagan.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Favorite one since BabySquirrel came into my life....

Midsummer Night's Dream

• Like Like x 2
  10. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

"Know yourself"
    (Greek Proverb)

11. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

"A woman gives her best loving to the man she is about to betray."
    -Lawrence Durrell

12. rogue49

The real problem in speech is not precise language. The problem is clear language...

~Richard Feynman

• Like Like x 1
  13. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be." - Holden Caulfield

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

Another few from Richard Feynman...or as he would likely say, "I'm full of it and keep your wits about you." ;)

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.

- Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers of the preceding generation.

- Do not read so much, look about you and think of what you see there.

...IMHO, this philosophy should be applied everywhere, everyday to everything.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jon Quixote

Jon Quixote Vertical

"The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet."
    -Steven King

"On this road there are no godspoke men. They are gone and I am left and they have taken with them the world."
    -Cormac McCarthy
    Gosh, Cormac McCarthy has got some great ones.

• Like Like x 1
  16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

17. dibble New Member

I think therefore i am Decartes . Im pink therefore im spam -Dibble

18. rogue49

Both from Leonardo da Vinci

• Though I may not, like them, be able to quote other authors,
      I shall rely on that which is much greater and more worthy — on experience, the mistress of their Masters.

• The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Now the question...is he contradicting himself?
    Personally, I think not...because I live by both.
    Many mimic a parrot. ;)

PS - a continuing of the first quote...
    They go about puffed up and pompous, dressed and decorated with [the fruits], not of their own labours, but of those of others. And they will not allow me my own. They will scorn me as an inventor; but how much more might they — who are not inventors but vaunters and declaimers of the works of others — be blamed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dibble New Member

People should spend more time cloud watching - Dibble

20. rogue49

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1