1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Piano Players....

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Speed_Gibson, Aug 29, 2011.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

there's monk and tatum and oscar peterson; there's cecil taylor and andrew hill and don pullen; there's keith jarret and some of these people

bud powell. sadly, he was really unstable personally and went through periods of astonishing playing and others of not so much.

lennie tristano--a beautiful player. way under-rated. this clip also features the fabulous warne marsh on tenor.

herbie nichols. he's often lumped in with monk, but if you listen to him, he has a very different approach in his right hand---his left hand is a bit more traditionally stride than monk...but there are licks that make you say ok, well... maybe monk like a lot...but still, he was a lovely, fluid player..

then there's more contemporary pianists---like the ganelin trio's v
    yacheslav ganelin who is a monster pianist (was?)

or marilyn crispell or alex von schlippenbach....

then back in the day there were amazing stride players like willie the lion smith and boogie players like meade lux lewis

albert ammons, pete johnson...so many great pianists....bill evans, herbie hancock...

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i remember this guy, but what do i know...