1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

females, feminists and femininity.

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by mixedmedia, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

When I read some of the comments in things like this, I wish superficiality dies a horrible death.

I don't mind a makeup/no-makeup comparison, but what is up with those descriptions? :confused:

2. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I absolutely agree, but for once I was pleasantly surprised by the comments section at the bottom (what I initially thought you were talking about. The ones that were posted when I looked were all condemnation of the comments in the article.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It's verging on Engrish. *shudders*

• Like Like x 1
  4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

This goes back to my post #324 and the concerns I enumerated therein. You've included a lot of words in this post, but you've spent your share attempting to reframe an entire class of arguments in your terms rather than saying anything of substance or offering a meaningful contribution.

5. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Man, I can't believe I slept on this thread. It took me, literally (literally) 8 weeks to get through it. There were so many points were I was like 'huh', and 'aha!' and 'WTF?!??' and 'ohnohedi'in't'.

To answer the OP:

What are your earliest memories of gender awareness?

I don't know which happened first, me seeing a daycare provider change a female colleague or my mom flipping out on me for walking in on her changing. Either way, I was youngish.

What were the norms for gender in your family and your community?

There weren't any gender norms enforced in my immediate family. My parents actively tried to counteract community gender roles by not letting me and my brother play with toy guns and buying us my little ponies, which kind of sucked at the time (and I still think sucks now - let kids play with what they want). Community-wise, well, when we lived in the rural voids, they were traditional. When we moved to the city, there were less so, but still so so. I have found that gender norms persist in even the most socially liberal enclaves in the form of casual remarks about boys being easier to raise than girls or kind-of-creepy statements about dreading teenage-daughterhood.

How have your attitudes toward gender been influenced by your personal experiences -

with your parents and family?

My family talks the 'we don't give a fuck about gender roles' talk, but my mom and dad are pretty well split along the gender expectation chasm in predictable ways. My dad has MRA sympathies, maybe in part because he's pissed at my mom for leaving him. My mom still explains away certain behaviors in my children with facile appeals to gender. It goes without saying that I love them, but fucking come on. They are both gender rebels in the sense that throughout my childhood my dad was always the sensitive, emotionally in tune one and my mom was the 60+ hour a week corporate bread earner. They were both single parents with informal custody at different points. I saw both my parents handle their domestic chores and expect the same from me. I can't speak much about my extended family because I never came up explicitly and doing so ranks pretty low on my list of 'things I want to spend time figuring out'.

with your friendships?

Friendships have had a huge impact on my attitudes towards gender. I used to be a pretty solid gender norm conformer, because I was too chickenshit to not be a conformer. I was also a totally shitty dude to women in a lot of ways that weigh heavily on my soul. Then I started attending a high school full of radical activists and hanging out with radical feminist women, and my 'too chickenshit to not be a conformer' resulted in a copy of "Transforming a Rape Culture" sitting on my bookshelf. I tried reading it, but weed and videogames and it didn't work. Still, my prior default of 'being a thoughtless asshole towards women' flipped to 'trying not to piss off my friends'.

with your romantic relationships?

To have an open mind. There are a lot of ways to make romance work.

other experiences?

I've walked around the world enough to have noticed that I can get away with doing a lot less than my female peers.

How do you feel about feminism and how do you express it (if at all)?

I like feminism and consider myself a feminist. The people I spend time with seem like they're all feminists too, so that's cool. Of course women and men should be treated equally. Of course men aren't smarter than women. I understand the problems with branding that feminism has with some groups, and I think these problems are similar to the problem that racism has with some groups (i.e. the people for whom the only way to be a racist is to accuse other people of being racist).

What is your relationship with femininity?

I don't care about it. I reject dualities. The world is a multidimensional place. I feel that the notion of masculinity and femininity exist purely as a way of manipulating people.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I should have proofread that ^^ more.

7. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

MSD I just linked someone to the go-to FAQ for Feminism over at FinallyFeminism101 and Rationalwiki, both are ardently pro-feminist. Even the one source which isn't completely and staggeringly one-sided is STILL pro-feminist and criticizes it's own work. I also made it a point to use standard terminology as defined by FinallyFeminism101 and alternate between dealing with each side.

Call that QED for your straw man of me.

I think most people recognize the offensiveness of how women are treated when they don't have makeup on but I think the makeup itself is a problem as well. Many of these women look like completely different people after hours of makeup and airbrushing, imho it's no better than sticking a flat hockey mask on them and basically making them wear a different face.

8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

From reading all of this...I almost wish we could rename the thread,

"females, femininity and feminism as a part of equal rights"

Why? Because after all the back & forth and stepping on toes or exaggerated/misplaced phrases...
    I believe most of the people in this thread believe in equal rights, would like to make it fair and even,
    but are really just debating whether to call themselves "feminists" or "egalitarians".
    Because I don't think the women want to say that they are better than men...simply equal...nor do I think men want to say such either.
    It's all the same thing.

So then...everyone, especially the ladies...can go back to discussing what it means to be a female to them (or relating to females)
    and aspects of their femininity...which would be fascinating. (and some men may have perspectives on femininity too...which would also be interesting)

There's be much to do about nothing on just one part of the topic.
    Really I think we agree for the most part...but we're really arguing "definitions" or perhaps retreading some hurt or frustration from the past.

How about it? A discussion on about being female? And femininity too...
    Or at least balance it out...the "feminism" portion has had quite a bit of its share.

I know they're certainly not talking about anything in the "male" thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

You know, I wondered about this. Why isn't there a masculinity thread? Or, is that "just not cool"?

10. rogue49

There is one...members didn't take an interest in that as much.
    I think they liked arguing in this one more.

But it's down this section a bit more, on the end of the 2nd page.
    I started it, when this one got heated a bit...people were protesting...and to give "the other side" an area to describe their own experiences.
    But that's the nature of the site...some take, some don't.

However, this thread is not about that...
    Onward fellow humans, discuss and debate that fascinating of all topics. "female"
    Battle on. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

Nobody makes women wear makeup.

Oh, I'm sure some could make the argument that women feel pressured to wear cosmetics due to societal expectations, and a lot of men in particular seem to presume that's why I or other women I know wear it. I wear makeup because I like it. I enjoy the process. I like the way it makes me look. It's art on my face.

Additionally, pictures of celebrities where people attribute everything to cosmetics are also wrong--pictures are photoshopped and processed.

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

On the other hand, there is a lot of social pressure on men to crop their hair short and shave their faces to the skin, the latter often being a daily ritual. These men look completely different when they do this. (I'm one of them.)

13. snowy

Maybe that's how it is where you live, but out here, we prefer our men hairy. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That's interesting. I prefer women without makeup.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

That's how my husband feels, and part of why I have to often explain the makeup is not for him, nor is it for other men, or even other women. It's for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rogue49

So, then the question begs...are you doing this because it's a mask...not hiding per se...but projecting an attitude. (or a "flavor")
    And is it a part of you being female? Or just you?

Or the reason men don't do it...is it that they don't care...or that it is not as accepted?
    Then if this is true...why do women put so much more effort into it?? (because, I've tried minor things...and I hate the fuss.)

BTW...this could be said for clothes and shoes too.
    Women tend to invest a lot more time, money and effort into it than men do. (and you have many more options...some again, I don't want to fuss with)

My theory is that ladies are much more detail oriented...so it translates over. (correct me if I'm wrong)

17. snowy

If I am projecting an attitude via my makeup, it's "awake" 75% of the time. The remaining 25% of the time it ranges from "pin-up" to "classy" and everywhere in between. I think part of it is just being me. I didn't wear makeup for many years because my husband didn't care for it, but I missed it.

18. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Oh good. So there's still a chance for me....

19. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

While I don't doubt that it's for you, I think it would be naive to claim that societal norms and gender roles don't play a part in it. It's like claiming to not be affected by advertising, even when we don't realize it, it's affecting us.

• Like Like x 1
  20. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

Women make up close to two-thirds of minimum-wage workers in the country — and upwards of 70 percent of those low-wage workers receive no paid sick days whatsoever, according to the report.

All the while, some 40 percent of all American households with children below the age of 18 include mothers who are either the only or primary source of income — with the average earnings of full-time female workers still just 77 percent of the average earnings of their male colleagues, the Shriver Report says. (US News and World Report)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014