1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Ferguson

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by redravin, Aug 18, 2014.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

Well then I guess the shooting is alleged. The store clerk didn't commit assault, he was trying to stop a theft. Then Brown menaced him. So he committed strong arm robbery. That's not shoplifting. I agree, thug is ofteb bandied about as a code word for black male, but his actions do paint a picture.

Ralphie, the coroner would probably look at the bullet path. Was his body upright, was he leaning forward. Stuff like that. Jesse Jackson is a piece of crap who steps into any sensational mess he can find. We hear about black kids getting shot because so many black kids are shot. Racism still exists.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

What if I told you this isn't true?

If you analyze media reporting of murders, you may actually find that white victims generally get more press attention than non-white victims.

As for your other questions, all I can say at this point is I don't know.
    --- merged: Aug 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM ---
    I guess you're not a lawyer.

That Brown was a robbery suspect is beside the point. Brown wasn't shot for robbing a store. Darren Wilson is not Judge Dredd. The investigation continues.

You're totally entitled to your own conclusion. Some of his neighbours think otherwise: Among Michael Brown's neighbors, anger over a future lost - LA Times

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Well said, @Borla. I've noticed that predictability for years on this forum and others.

And the predictable voices form into two antiphonal choirs. each group self-righteously singing their tune and wagging their finger at the other group. Oh, ain't the discord grand.

Young black males are only one group that is considered guilty until proven innocent.
    The other group is white cops.

• Like Like x 2
  4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  5. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

6. omega

omega Very Tilted

If samcol's fox news report is true, then the officer is clearly justified.

In regards to redravin's quote, do two wrongs make a right?

7. Baraka_Guru

Being that this is coming from an unnamed source in the local police department, I'm still holding out for more information. Especially since said police department is now notorious for selective releases of information.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Man, that's weird. It's almost like you're aware that police departments have a long history of deception when it comes to questions of police brutality.
    --- merged: Aug 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM ---
    Also, super interesting to see people who normally question "big government" suddenly slack-jawed with credulity in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. redravin

10. Baraka_Guru

Surely not Ferguson PD "The Even-handed." Surely not....

I'm TFP's most eloquent libertarian conspiracy theorist.

[Did you know that "Ayn Rand Paul" is an anagram for "rad plan yuan"? (I know, right!)]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm really hoping this tired, seen-it-before race card bullshit helps bring to the forefront a discussion about the bigger, more important issue of the extreme militarization of the modern American police.

From Boston, Mass. to Buttfuck, Missouri, we've got obese deputy dipshits driving armored cars and sporting better assault rifles and body armor than actual soldiers. That is what is really scary here.

The marathon kablooey by that kid that Rolling Stone magazine later deified had citizens gleefully allowing stormtroopers to violate a number of their Constitutional rights, all down the barrel of a gun.

This isn't normal and we shouldn't let it become such. I recommend each of you throw large rocks at the nearest jackbooted thug and then proceed to pillage the nearest Footlocker or T-Mobile store.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Baraka_Guru

The extreme militarization of the police in America is largely the result of the country's class war.

Of which race is often an issue.

These are all important issues.

13. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

there is no 'big government' thing that happened when a local cop shot this man. the only big government things are the militarized police force and eric holder showing up. i'm not a fan of how the situation has been going from the perspective of the protesters as i've been watching live streams of the events most nights.
    --- merged: Aug 21, 2014 4:49 AM ---
    steal swisher sweets, strongarm the clerk, walk in the middle of the road. agitate an officer on an unrelated call, why are we giving the benefit of the doubt to michael brown? holy shit 15 minutes prior he just bullied a store clerk.

maybe the black leaders should focus on teaching people how to behave instead of rioting for the wrong reason. all the protesting and riots mean nothing in my eyes if brown attacked this officer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  14. Bodkin van Horn

Right. And yet, where is the NRA on this? You'd think they'd be jumping up and down saying "Look! This is why you need guns! To protect you from militarized police forces who want to take away your right to assemble!"

The NRA has been oddly silent though, as have the usual suspects. *obligatory race card*

I hear you. Agitation has traditionally been a capital offense in the US.

[​IMG]

I know I don't come around that often anymore, but don't we have rules here against saying racist ass shit?

Right, because protesting the fact that the police were fucking around and protecting the shooter and deliberately managing evidence to smear the dead guy is wrong if it turns out that the dead guy got in a tussle before he ran 35 feet and got shot.

Also, the people rioting weren't the same people as the people protesting.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. redravin

I just posted about how organizers have been working to make the protests more organized and less violent even in the face of police thuggery.

And I'm sorry but there are middle class white kids who pull stupid shit in stores all the time.
    Have you seen the youtube footage of them busting gallons of milk all over and laughing their asses off?
    Shoving people out of the way to get out of the store when people try to stop them so they will pay for the milk and clean it up?
    Skateboard down the road.
    That's three or four kids, that's a gang.
    But they're white and come from 'good homes'.

You know they wouldn't be gunned down in the street.

16. omega

omega Very Tilted

You attack an armed, uniformed, identified police officer who has given you a lawful order to get off the road, it is not a tussle. Again, you have to look at what the officer sees at the time, not just monday morning quarterbacking.
    Also, from what I have heard, the bullets entered in the front of Brown, which is hard to do. I mean, plan9 could obviously do it. He's such a badass compared to the jackbooted thugs and fat deputies. But no donut scarfing, never training deputy or PD officer could ever do that, much less even hit a target five or six times. Shit, I should just go turn in my badge and gun. Let plan9 deal with the next school or mall shooting, or guy holed up in a house with a thousand rounds and an ak47, or ar15.
    Before the next person whines about militarized police, go reference the show us your arsenal thread. Chicken, meet egg.
    --- merged: Aug 21, 2014 at 1:25 AM ---
    Did they attack a police officer? I have pulled my gun once, after a pursuit, where the guy came bursting out of his car. It turns out he was making a beeline between two buildings into the dark, but he could have been circling around. Especially when I was distracted by his passenger getting out. It was in my hand, but never pointed at someone. But I was just engaged in a pursuit, so my response was justified.
    --- merged: Aug 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM ---
    I don't think you meant this to be racist, but it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  17. Bodkin van Horn

I maintain that it could be described as a tussle. Certainly, the police officer will probably kill you and get away with it, regardless of the severity of the altercation, because as this I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me. - The Washington Post
    op-ed indicates, there are police officers who feel entitled to shoot you for merely challenging their authority (and your death will be your fault, naturally).

Brown could have flicked the officer on the arm or he could have beaten the officer's ass. Either way, Brown getting gunned down would be a likely outcome.

But yeah, the bullets entered the front, plus his forearm, which some people take as evidence that he had turned around and was surrendering.

The "show us your arsenal" thread might be good justification for armed police. A lawful protest is not. But the real justification for the program is that it allows the DOJ to get rid of old equipment and buy new equipment. Giving Officer Bob an AR15 and some tear gas (a chemical weapon banned for use in war by treaty, but cool to use on members of the media and lawful protestors) seems like a bad idea though.

18. omega

omega Very Tilted

That is a good article. You are deliberately misenterpreting a couple of his statements. But I think others will be able to read it without your false confirmation bias. Brown getting gunned down a likely outcome? There are over 50,000 assaults on police officers every year. Are there a correlating number of dead people? Pretty sure there aren't. And I know people have been unlawfully killed by police officers. But from what I have heard, this doesn't seem to be the case. Obviously, we need all the evidence to actually come out at trial.

I don't know about tear gas, we use pepper spray. And every one of us has been sprayed so we know what it feels like. I also rode the lightning when I got my taser. So that when some dickhead attorney says "you caused my client horrible pain", I can say "that's right. I knew exactly what he would feel because I already did it. And I knew it would achieve the necessary compliance."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hah! Ah, the Us vs. Them is strong in this one.

And your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

You mean DOD. Many of the items transferred from the feds to local LE are military equipment. The CATO Institute and the like have some pretty amusing articles with the deets.

I get the feeling this gigantic kid was yet another well-loved troubled young dirtbag and this cookie cutter officer was pretty quick to go to the gun. In the end, one guy is dead and the other guy will likely spend the rest of his life wearing the dead guy around his neck regardless of whether or not it is found that the shoot was justified. The media will move on after the trial and the community will be either the same or worse as it was before the shooting. And America's Bodkins will blame the NRA.

I think we need to ensure racial equality in shootings to avoid these kind of PR nightmares. Call for a backup officer the same race as your assailant. And the media really needs to be schooled on how guns work instead of confusing them for death rays.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  20. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i dont even care. it's true.