1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Ferguson

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by redravin, Aug 18, 2014.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Well Fox News is now trying to spin it that he wasn't really an 'unarmed teenager'.
    After all he was almost a grown up and he was really big so that kind of like having a weapon isn't it?
    So we shouldn't say he was an unarmed black teenager because all that's doing is causing race problems.

Facts have such a liberal bias don't they?
    Most of the time I just shake my head and figure they've got to do what they do, you can't get mad at them.
    On something like this ...

I guess my issue is that there are so many cases of young black men having to deal with stuff that I didn't even in my most aggressive punk rock days.
    Alex Landau after Denver police beating: "That's when I expected to be shot" - CBS News
    --- merged: Aug 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM ---
    And we have John Stewart's take on the media's response.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUi2A6tUYQk

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Size disparity is a thing. Ask any woman that has been assaulted or forcibly raped. Even if you're a male of above average height and physical fitness (hopefully most cops), you can still find yourself in shitty situations. Attacked from behind, attacked by multiple assailants, etc.

You're losing me with all the mainstream media crap as well as Jon Stewart's snarky stooge routine. Everything is a tragedy, everything can be blamed on something bigger than the individual situation and everything is a sign that X leadership needs to be replaced.

Drama aside, could it be that some overgrown punk-ass got into an altercation with a police officer and things went horrible awry? Doesn't make good news. Doesn't fit the manufactured outrage the mainstream media needs for their advertisers.

The thing that worries me is the bigger picture of how law enforcement handles the proles. The proles never change: protestin', fightin', lootin', rapin', pissin' on the street corner, etc. Cops, however... these days they got way too many GI Joe toys.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I was interested in Stewart's take on the really awful media coverage and it's total lack of perspective.
    Which in many ways seems to mirror a certain portion of the US.

And I certainly agree with you about the way the cops have become GI Joes.

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

5. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

It's a myth that the people protesting were the same people that were looting.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bodkin van Horn

Or, it could be that a cop got his authoritae disrespected and lashed out in response because he's used to acting with assured impunity.

The mainstream media manufactured angle here is, as always, "What do the majority of white people want to believe?" A lot of people don't trust the cops for a lot of good, easily google-able reasons. In fact, it seems obvious to me that if your default is to trust a cop's version of events following a use of force, you're a pretty credulous person with a questionable grasp on reality. I'm not saying force is never justified, just that when a career or freedom are on the line, cops are, like everyone else, fucking liars.

7. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bodkin van Horn

Totally agree. This isn't the same thing as a bunch of sports fans rioting after their team wins a championship. The media narrative when that happens is slightly more forgiving than the "look at these fucking animals, of course the officer had to shoot because look at these fucking animals".

A young man gets gunned down by police and those same police are violently suppressing constitutionally protected rights to assemble and some folks respond with a flavor of "but some folks stole from Walmart". What?! Really? That's what's meaningful here?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I like the concept of expropriation because it's an easy out for World of Warcraft nerds that need to rape women because the system is bent on keeping them consigned to a miserable life of grinding away at a pay game while eating snack foods for meals instead of learning proper hygiene and social skills. Hell, they treat you like a wild animal... so you might as well act like one.

Questions like "But then where do you stop?" and "Shit, why stop?" come up but we tend to ignore them.

Relevant - Extra humorous given Bodkin's "look at these fucking animals" comment

What's fun about the media coverage of the Occupy Wallstreet Ferguson people is that we have no idea if these types of things are common or if these totally unrelated people just sit on some nearby porch waiting for an excuse to vandalize a Burger King owned by nobody involved. It's just like every other group that seems to form around an outrage issue. Either way, I've got my 50/50 Maalox mix in the spray bottle for when the tear gas starts flying and a 5 gallon bucket full of aerodynamic bricks ideal for busting storefront windows. For every violent act, the media will certainly offer up enough camera angles and Max Headroom replay shots with furrowed-brow play-by-play to make Butffuck, Missouri look like the kill map of a 2009 Afghanistan.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Is the guy with the wine bottles protesting state liquor laws?

I feel like we all learned the symbolism of the BTP in 3rd grade.

If the title was "Terrorism" and had 9/11 and the BTP, maybe.

12. Baraka_Guru

I guess there is a fine line between stealing and just wrecking shit.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, like an organized movement in uniforms working together to destroy a specific thing in protest of a tyrannical government?

You seriously cannot be comparing some random dipshit jacking booze at a Qwik-E-Mart to the goddamn Boston Tea Party.

I know socioeconomic stratification is a horrible thing but let's not Noble Savage the totally unrelated Ferguson looters.

14. Bodkin van Horn

The Boston Tea Party participants were more Cliven Bundy types.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Or maybe they were Tony in a really drawn out version of West Side Story. Maria would be vague concept of freedom.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

Look, guys, I was merely pointing out a juxtaposition between riots. Do uniforms and organization make the key difference from a moral standpoint?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Uh, if you're an actor in said situation? I'd say it matters.

Dude, I'm a retard... where are you going with this?

Maths:

Random Douchebag (Actor) + Media Outrage Extravaganza 2014 (Excuse) + Ferguson Protests (Opportunity) = Douchebag Robbing a Qwik-E-Mart

Organized Militant Malcontents (Actors) + Governmental Dickstepping (Excuse) + Ships in the Harbor (Opportunity) = Political Protest (our side) / Terrorism (their side)

18. Bodkin van Horn

I don't know. The War on Terror has blurred the lines a bit on that question.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

It may depend on who owns the stuff you're wrecking.

20. Baraka_Guru

FIFY

• Like Like x 1