1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Ferguson

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by redravin, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Any idea how many police shooting incidents has he personally handled? Should any of them have resulted in charges?

2. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

I don't care to link to it but Wilson's own testimony paints Brown as some sort of behemoth, merely annoyed at the bullets penetrating his body, adamant at charging through them. And so like an animal he was left to rot out in the heat for hours and accordingly one injustice follows another.

The more I read about this, the more I attempt to intellectualize my anger and frustration the more hopeless it all seems: in 2014 the jury is still out on whether or not some human beings are actually people.

Similarly, there's no justice in stringing Wilson up. An indictment leading to exoneration would've softened the blow but the sad truth is that there's no justice to be had in this climate. Wilson's views and actions aren't exceptional, this is all but a single iteration of a 28 hour cycle.

Fuck it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

He's handled five other police shootings and none of them have resulted in charges.

4. Borla

Five is a very small sample set. Any story on the others that make it clear that charges should've been recommended?

My main point is that the article uses the 'never charged a cop' argument like he should've charged them. Yet without detail on any specific instance of where he should've. I'm curious if there is a real story there, or if it was just stated that way with no facts behind it. I'm genuinely interested what the truth is.

5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Relevant, from the New Yorker:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

7. rocnrichy New Member

Sorry but if this white guy (me) stuck my hands in a cop car window trying to wrestle his gun away from him and daring to him to shot him, and calling him a pussy, only after I punched him in the head, I would fully understand how I could get shot. White, black, whatever race is not a factor. End of story.

8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

If the police officer's version of the incident is true (yes, a major if), then the shooting was justified.

If evidence disputing his version was ignored or downplayed, then the grand jury process was a bad joke.

FWIW. I used to know quite a few people--attorneys, court clerks, LEOs, etc.--involved with the legal system. The majority of them said that the prosecutors office could easily manipulate the grand jury process to obtain whatever result they wanted.

9. redravin

Well here's one that kind of confirms there is a problem with his impartiality.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. Borla

That article fails to include a fairly pertinent fact IMO.

The US Attorney's Office investigated after the grand jury didn't recommend charges. They agreed with the finding. The Justice's Civil Rights Division investigated as well. They also found no reason to bring charges. So it was double and triple checked by independent, federal investigators, and they concluded the guys who showed up for a drug deal (it wasn't like they were innocent bystanders randomly targeted) were trying to run down the cops. Or at least when they rammed their vehicle into a cop car, that was enough cause to believe they would continue ramming.

I'm not saying he's a good guy. I'm not even saying that an indictment couldn't have been brought. But in all the spaces on the internet I've read about this story, it still fits what I originally stated early on in this thread. If you (speaking generally, not to anyone specifically) lean one way or another, you'll definitely find plenty of sources that lend confirmation bias. Sadly, most of the media seemed intent on sensationalism (both directions) instead of getting to the bottom of things.

I'm completely on board with the idea that minorities and those low on the socio-economic ladder get cut less breaks, and that is unfair. Racial profiling is real, and happens. I firmly believe that poor and/or minority groups are more likely to be mistreated by the police, and have less success in court.

Having watched the video of Michael Brown committing a strong arm robbery minutes before he was shot, and seeing him charge at and bully the owner of the store he robbed, it isn't hard to believe that he then did the exact same thing a few minutes later. At the very least he had just committed a felony, then laid hands on an officer while that officer was giving him a lawful order. Please don't confuse this with me saying he got what he deserved. I'm just saying that any sane person, of any race or class, that wants to get in a fight with a police officer is asking for a bad time. It is sad that it ended in death, and I ABSOLUTELY agree that something needs done about the larger social issues discussed in this case. I just personally do not feel that what happened to him is what I'd use to gain support for those issues.

My personal opinion is that the charges could've been brought. But it would've been almost impossible to get a "guilty" verdict. And I'll hypothesize that all the people angry about no indictment would be just as angry if a trial had played out and he'd been found "not guilty". Should that exercise have been made? Perhaps. But at the end of the day we'd still be talking about a young criminal being dead, a young cop's life/career being ruined, a community rioting and in upheaval, and the same root causes of social injustice being at play.

My personal hope is that the violence continues to lessen from this particular case. I also hope that more and more law enforcement agencies will see fit to equip vehicles and officers with audio/video devices. While it may not have removed all problems in this case, it might've removed all doubt (in either direction) for a vast majority. I also think that more LEOs, and even more of the public, would be likely to be better behaved if they knew all (or almost all) interactions were being recorded.

I have no desire to argue in circles, nor am I convinced that my impression is exactly correct. But that's my $.02. YMMV :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. redravin

The other problem is he's notorious for poisoning the well much like he did this time.
    His long rambling press conference where he called into question the veracity of many of the witnesses, the information dump (in the past, of things that often turn out to be false later on), the careful timing of his announcements and leaks of information all make it very difficult to do any further prosecution.

12. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

The official explanation is probably horseshit. There is nothing objective about accepting the police department's version of events. Not after their horrid, Amnesty International-condemned response, and their clearly calculated media plays. Brown's personality or participation in a robbery has no bearing on whether he deserved to die. It does affect how people view him as a person, and the release of the video happened exactly for this reason. So people can say "I'm not saying he should have been shot, but he seemed mean." Which seems to me to be the kind of statement that is perfectly valid on the surface, but when viewed with thought is really problematic in that the second clause implies strongly that the first isn't entirely true.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Interesting take from Joshua Marshall, one of my favorite pundits. First paragraphs:

Making Sense of Darren Wilson's Story

14. Borla

Committing a strong arm felony moments before an interaction with a police office surely impacts a person mindset as that next interaction happens. IMO, seeing someone use their size and strength to intimidate seconds earlier makes it much more plausible that they repeated that behavior a few minutes later in the next confrontation they had.

If someone wants to read that as me not really meaning he shouldn't be dead, I think it's an idiotic conclusion. But I can't speak for others' opinions or rationalizations.

15. Bodkin van Horn

I am not trying to start an argument, but I see people echo your statement all over and I can not understand the logic of it because to me it reads like this:

"He shouldn't be dead, but he seems like the type of guy who couldn't avoid getting into a violent confrontation with a police officer (which means that the officer acted properly in killing him)." It reads like "I don't think he should have been killed, but I think his killing was completely justified."

16. redravin

My thoughts are that we will never really know because this prosecutor didn't want us to.
    By having a trial (with a competent prosecutor) where all the facts are presented and the jury has to be unanimous not just the majority we would know more of the truth.
    It would be truly established by sworn testimony not this mess that has been released.

17. Borla

Maybe you should take it at face value then, instead of trying to insert a different meaning?

There could be some people who say something like what I did and don't mean it. I'd say it is likely that some fall into that category. But I don't. What I personally mean is exactly what I said. The video makes me believe that he was probably nervous, agitated, or paranoid when he saw the cop roll up. I know I feel that way after I've been speeding and see a cop, and worst case all I'm going to be out is a few bucks and a few minutes of my time. But, as someone who doesn't get nervous very easily, I sometimes get a little spike of adrenaline when that happens. And that is as a middle class white guy with no criminal record and knowing I did nothing majorly wrong.

So all I'm saying by the video is that I'm guessing MB had an adrenaline spike, or was paranoid, or was anxious due to the cop stopping. From my perspective it'd be strange if he wasn't experiencing one or all of those.

Then I'm saying that the video gives the appearance that he is aware of his size, strength, and the intimidation factor that gives him. So it is believable that he'd repeat the same type of behavior seen on the video.

In my world, that makes him deserving of prosecution, and likely some jail time. If you want to argue that we jail too many people, or social issues were stacked against him, or that the police in that area might've contributed to poor relations, or whatever, I agree.

And that is ALL I'm saying.

Earlier I said an indictment may have been warranted. I'm not 100% convinced the officer did things correctly. I'm not entirely convinced that he had no other option but shooting him repeatedly. I'm merely saying that it is believable that MB was amped up, anxious, nervous, and/or afraid, and charged the cop. If so, it should've landed him in jail. Unfortunately it went down far worse.

I have no agenda behind what I'm saying or hidden meaning beyond it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  18. Bodkin van Horn

So what you're really saying is that you don't think that he deserved to die, but that you think he was nervous? Okay.

Present Borla's excluded:

The way I see it, the video either is relevant to the officer's actions or it is not. If it is not relevant, then who cares about it?

Obviously the Ferguson PD would like us to infer its relevance, which is why they released it with such impeccable timing.

If one thinks the video is relevant, then its relevance is in how it portrays Brown as being a big, scary (black) guy which is another way of saying that the video is meant to drive positions ranging from "of course he deserved to die, he committed a strong arm robbery" to "we can't ever know what really happened, but clearly Brown was big and scary (and black), so ..." line of thinking.

I have yet to see a video aficionado comment about how police officers are large. About how police officers (in Ferguson and across the nation) have a well-established history of brutality when working with marginalized groups. These facts, which might balance the scales measuring the implied aggression between Wilson and Brown, are ignored. Brown is a thug, and a large one (and a black one). Wilson is not a thug, even though he works for an organization whose capacity for thuggery is as boundless as one might expect for an organization backed by the state (not saying all cops are bad here, though) and given a license to kill. Brown had to be the aggressor, because he stole some cigars a few minutes earlier. Wilson couldn't have been the aggressor, because, uh, oh yeah, because Brown stole some cigars earlier.

Fuck the video. It's the kind of thing that convinces people who don't know better that they know something.

19. Borla

That describes just about all of the media coverage and commentary as well IMO.

20. redravin

Everybody talks about Browns state of mind, as evidenced by the possibility that he was high and from the tape, none of which can be proved because he's dead.
    On the other hand we do have Officer Wilson's testimony where he talks about being afraid for his life.
    He talks about Brown being a monster, about how he felt like a child going up against Hulk Hogan, and how Brown seemed to be "bulking up" after being shot numerous times and coming after him so he had to shoot some more.
    There's more, all of it not sounding one bit like the testimony of a man with training or connection to the community he is supposed to serve.
    This guy was the same height and about 60 pounds lighter than Brown.
    He was armed and trained to be in control.
    Freaking out and thinking the person he is dealing with is some kind super villain is not indicative of someone who should be in uniform.