1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

first handgun

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by ralphie250, Mar 18, 2017.

1. oldtimer56

oldtimer56 umime

Mine was a S&W Model 27 with a 4" barrel, .357 mag. Wish I still had it, but after close to 10K rounds when thru it, it was getting loose.

2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

still looking.

3. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Why? Just get the glock 17 or 19.

4. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 gr. of diplomacy

Ralphie, it's hard to go wrong with a Glock. My wife and I both use them as our primary CHL guns (hers is a G19, which is chambered in 9mm. Ming is a G23, which is chambered in .40 S&W.) About the only thing that might legitimately prevent you from happily owning a Glock is that they have a somewhat boxy frame which can prevent a lot of folks (especially those with smaller hands) from achieving a solid comfortable grip (which, of course, is essential to accurate shooting.) Sticking with 9mm, another gun that I might recommend is the Sig Sauer P320. It's accurate, reliable, and ergonomically friendly. It's also relatively easy to maintain (field stripping and reassembly are fairly simple.)

5. ralphie250

I herd that glocks are made with plastic parts. not sure if I like that idea

6. buzzgunner

Almost ALL modern semi-auto handguns are made with some polymer components. Glock just popularized the idea first. Non-metal components have a number of advantages over the same parts made from metal. Polymer parts reduce the overall weight of the firearm (which generally improves handling and reduces fatigue), they frequently reduce the purchase price of the gun, and they allow the gun to flex better (in those areas where flex is desirable.) There is no data to suggest firearms with polymer components suffer from reduced accuracy, reliability, or overall product life (the big three.) This last sentence applies mainly to what most consider "name brand" firearms. The same cannot be said for knock-off or entry-level brands.

You can find all alloy handguns for sale, but you'll be surprised how few there are compared to alloy/polymer combination designs. If at all possible, I'd encourage you to find a friend who owns one or more of the handgun types that you think you might be buying and have him/her take you to the range. The results might surprise you!

7. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Any new news?

8. ralphie250

not yet, still shopping around
    going to the gun shop next week and test drive a few so to speak

9. buzzgunner

Jeez, ralphie, you've been "looking" for over a YEAR! Either shit or get off the pot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ralphie250

i know, I know. lol
    actually im going to the range this afternoon to shoot a 9mm that I really like

11. ralphie250

its a glock. just fyi...

12. buzzgunner

Aaaaand...?

13. Chris Noyb

Two 9mm semi-auto handguns
    +
    Two shooters
    +
    Three 17 round clips
    +
    One 10 round clip
    =
    An expensive day at the range.

14. ralphie250

I WILL KNOW TOMORROW, GOING BACK TO TRY A FEW DIFFERNENT ONES

15. buzzgunner

Aside from a Mauser C96, what kind of handgun uses a CLIP?

16. Chris Noyb

Semantics.

17. omega

omega Very Tilted

What type of pistol can fit a magazine in it? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. buzzgunner

That's the sort of response I typically get from people who don't understand the difference.

19. Chris Noyb

I was tempted to look up the difference between a clip and a magazine as related to firearms. For a fraction of a second.

The lingo changes over the years. Yes, magazine is the current proper term. Years ago back when I was something of a gun nut (which was a compliment of sorts, but is now a politically incorrect term replaced by firearms enthusiast) clip was commonly used.

I also use the term chambered instead of charged. And have been corrected by people who are into semantics.

20. ralphie250

LOOKING AT A SMITH AND WESSON M&P 40 CAL.... SOMEONE AT WORK IS HAVING A BABY AND NEEDS SOME CASH. HE OFFERED IT TO ME SO IM GOING TO THE RANGE AFTER WORK OR AT SOME POINT DURING THE DAY TODAY AND SEE HOW I LIKE IT. IM LEARNING THAT HAND GUNS ARE LIKE TATTOOS. YOU EITHER HAVE ONE OR ALOT. LOL

• Like Like x 1