1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Flasks: Who uses them? And do I need one?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Plan9, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Flasks:
    Who uses them? And do I need one?

Okay, so flasks are small containers designed to carry strong alcoholic beverages.

Classy or tacky? Who actually uses these things on a regular basis (besides DamnitAll)?

Where/when are they appropriate? I could see myself using one at a hockey game or something, I guess.

I was watching a movie earlier and some guy pulled one out of his pocket at a fancy dinner party to show how bored he was.

I don't know if drinking from a flask at a party says "Fun Time Guy" or "Raging Alcoholic." What does TFP think about flasks and their use?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I have a couple. Nothing fancy, just standard. One plastic one steel.

The only occasions that I can think of that I've used them is maybe a half dozen times when I packed one in a suitcase for a few drinks while out of town, and once or twice at the movie theater to make a Jack and Coke while watching a comedy or something. I bet it has been several years since either of mine have had anything but air in them.

I don't take them to parties or other gatherings because I don't want to be "that guy". But I'm imagining I'll do the movie thing again at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I have this bad boy right here:
    [​IMG]

Used to have this one before I lost it:
    [​IMG]

I like them for fun. Like Borla, I don't take them to actual functions, because that's kind of dickish. I'll pack them on trips, maybe to a movie or a low key party or something, but mostly I had them up at school. We basically had a weeklong drinking-fest in the snow, so flasks were very helpful.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If you want one, I don't see why not. (Maybe something with a dragon on it!)

If you need one, you're probably an alcoholic.

• Like Like x 5
  5. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

That's a very good way to put it.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hahaha, friggin' dragon.

Close enough.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I love flasks. I'll be purchasing this one within the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

There's a Targaryen flask on the same site that I'd like, too.

Anyway. I don't carry them a lot. I REALLY wish I'd had one for that horrible wedding we went to last month, though.

I actually WILL take them to functions occasionally, but I'm discreet--no flaunting the flask, yo. Unless I'm at Dragon*Con, but even then, it stays hidden in most of the main public areas (the cops know everyone is drinking, but they'll leave you alone if you're not a) being an asshole, or b) very obvious about it--as in, carrying the liquor bottle around.)

8. They come in handy for professional/collegiate sports games if you want to keep your tailgate buzz going. Buy a $10 soda and turn it into something much, much better.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

That reminds me. I used a flask last year at an Iowa football game. It wasn't mine, but the guy I was tailgating with brought extras. We filled them up with vodka and made lemonade vodka awesomeness in the stadium.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CinnamonGirl

Ah, yes...they've better for spiking drinks than just swigging out of them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CinnamonGirl

Damn it. They're. I just noticed that :(

And, um, to kinda stay on topic, this is the other one I was talking about:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

I wasn't going to say anything...

...because I like you.

It's pretty much what I was talking about too.

Dragons are fucking awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. Baraka_Guru

Holy shit. I need a flask....

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We mostly use a flask when camping or traveling, but my flask is actually a Sigg bottle. We don't own an actual flask. The Sigg bottle is sufficient for what we need it for. At football games, we have connections.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, I normally just carry the 1.75L bottle around.

17. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I have an old half-pint bottle, Teacher's or maybe Famous Grouse Scotch that I used occasionally, filling it with whatever...
    It's contoured, like a hip flask, and I haven't used it for years. It's about half full of something.

18. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yes, but does yours have Hello Kitty on it? ;)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

• Like Like x 1
  20. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I have a couple flasks. I have liked them since I first say Humphrey Bogart pull one out of his pocket in The Big Sleep. I used to use one when I was in University -- it was an easy way to carry booze to parties.

I don't know where they are now. Probably in a box somewhere... in Canada. I needed one the other weekend for surreptitious drinking on a tour bus that banned alcohol. Managed to use my bike's water bottle instead. "Water" bottle.