1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Florida lawmaker wants to bring back electric chair, firing squad

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

No, this isn't from The Onion....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nat...l-calls-for-firing-squads-electric-chair.html

I've heard a lot of crazy coming out of Florida lately, but this really takes the cake.

WTF?

The debate about capital punishment cropped up again recently with the case of Troy Davis. With it, came arguments against having capital punishment at all.

Here we have a legislator who thinks that lethal injection is too humane, and that a criminal's choice should be between the electric chair or a firing squad.

Sorry, but that seems pretty crazy to me. I don't think this bill will go anywhere....

It won't go anywhere, right?

What do you think?
    Should the "humane" killing of criminals receiving the death penalty be reconsidered? Why?
    What is your position on the death penalty?

I'm against it for both legal and humane reasons. I don't think it's worth killing 1,000 people if only 999 of them are actually guilty. I don't think the government has the moral right to take the life of another person when there is no immediate threat or danger to the life and safety of others.

Intentionally making it more agonizing to take these lives is morally reprehensible.

2. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I'm not sure how much more data we need to show that the death penalty is NOT a deterrent to violent crime before we get rid of it like most civilized nations. The US is in the top 5 in the world in number of executions per year, up there with countries in the Middle East and Asia. Is that where we want to be?

3. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

theoretically i support the death penalty, but have no faith in the government to carry it out humanely or without killing innocent people. it's not worth it to kill even one innocent person if you can kill 1,000 murders. i agree with you there.

4. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I am unconditionally opposed to the death penalty. It's pure bloodlust and does no good for society.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Just like how Life Without Parole for juveniles is cruel and unusual.

6. Pretty much this, especially the last sentiment. I seriously despair at the direction this country is taking. Why not just bring back crucifixion while we're at it?

7. dippin Getting Tilted

I am against the death penalty. It doesn't deter, it is expensive, and there have been countless innocents killed by it.

But if the decision is lethal injection vs firing squad, then a firing squad is actually a more "humane" (if we can call it that) alternative to the lethal injection, which often gets the mixtures wrong, leading to a potentially painful and always slow death. More importantly, a firing squad does away with the myth of the clean, surgical death. In fact, the irony of it all is that the guillotine and the firing squad are generally the least painful and excruciating forms of execution, and have been done away with for the benefit of the audience, not the victim. Maybe if these methods were reintroduced the audience would be reminded of just how brutal the death penalty is, and support for it would once again drop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

For reasons already stated, I oppose the death penalty. But if we're going to have a death penalty and, in fact, argue that the death penalty is just, I tend to agree with dippin: the onus on the executioner(s) should be more demanding than just flipping a switch. I vaguely remember reading about a study that found that people who were not apt to pick up a weapon and harm another person, were far more easily convinced to do harm to someone by pushing a button that (purportedly) caused harm to be done to a person in another room. How convenient for war and corporal punishment and stuff.

9. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Just to get it out there. I'm absolutely against the death penalty. I can find no moral basis for killing another human being, despite the crime they've been convicted of. The taking of a life for another life is senseless. The death penalty has been proven not to be a deterrent. It solves nothing. It corrects nothing. It's not justice, it's vengeance, pure and simple. The clamoring for blood that arises when an execution is approaching, is sickening.

It's difficult for me to think in terms of acceptable murder over unacceptable murder. It's all murder and those who condone and promote it are accessories to that murder, more so than an executioner who may view it as a difficult aspect of his job.

When I think of the electric chair, I will forever have the image of "Dale" burning and frying in the movie "the Green Mile". Anyone who can watch that movie and walk away still convinced that justice is served by execution is one cold bastard.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I have no moral issue with the death penalty, I'm just not convinced that our justice system can ever guaranty 100% accuracy on conviction.
    Sheriffs and prosecutors are incented to provide arrests and convictions. It seems we read of someone exonerated from death row on a weekly basis.

On the off chance that we ever find a perfect system, make it quick, painless, and not a spectacle. I'm not sure the electric chair fits that criteria.

11. Eddie Getting Tilted

If you're in a State that imposes the electric chair for first degree murder convictions, I guarantee you'll think twice about committing murder.

12. redux

redux Very Tilted

Murder rates are in fact higher in states with the death penalty. There is no evidence that would support your claim that capital punishment is a deterrent.

13. Eddie Getting Tilted

Read my post again.

14. redux

redux Very Tilted

There are more murders per captita committed in states with the death penalty.

[​IMG]

The death penalty is not a deterrent or there would be fewer murders in those states.

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Think once, think again, then murder. The result is still the same, no?

And then there are murders where reasoning isn't really a part of the picture.

16. Eddie Getting Tilted

Folks like to do some killin' in the South land. Just think about how high those murder rates would be if they didn't impose the death penalty. The majority of the nation's black population lives in the states with the highest murder rates.
    --- merged: Oct 20, 2011 10:10 PM ---
    The countries with the lowest murder rates have public executions including stoning. Think about that.

17. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ah...its a "southern" thing and a "black" thing.

18. Eddie Getting Tilted

Just pointing out the facts.

19. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

whoo boy.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

The lowest murder rates are in countries in Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and Japan....countries with no capital punishment AND strict gun control.