1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Fond family gaming memories...

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by streak_56, Sep 27, 2011.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I'm curious if anyone has some good memories they'd like to share about their family? It could be board games, video games... any sort of game you could play... for example (s):

When we got our Super Nintendo, my mom, brother, sister and I were addicted to super mario... we would play for hours and just not only beat the game but just own it.

Also, we'd (Dad included now) would play risk, monopoly or Uno to no end.... well... until someone lost it and started getting nasty.... it was few and far between that we'd finish a game.

I'm also a lover of hide and go seek.... loved it as a kid, and I still love it.... I always play it with my cousins kids... such great fun!

2. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

My parents and I never played any board games... or games at all.

I do have great memories of playing Rook and Checkers with my Great Aunt and uncle.

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

It was always pinochle at my parents house and they took it seriously. Getting caught with a girl in my room overnight wasn't as traumatic as blowing an important bid on Christmas Day.

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

One of my favorite memories is getting my mom to play Karaoke Revolution with me. We laughed so hard, we were crying.

Growing up, we played games ALL THE TIME. Scrabble and Boggle were family favorites, and so were Uno and Skip-Bo. I remember the Thanksgiving my mom & grandma taught me to play Euchre...I think we played for about three or four hours after dinner. Outburst, Crazy Eights, Go Fish, Life... damn, we played a lot of games. There was also Odie Maid (Garfield-themed Old Maid), something similar to Spoons, but TMNT themed, and when we were very young, Uncle Wiggly, Candy Land, and Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Mom always kicked our ass at Scrabble. I'd be playing six and seven letter words, and she'd lay down something like "zoo" or "axe" on a triple letter/triple word tile. :mad: I was the Boggle champion, and it seemed like my brother always won Uno.

At Dad's, we had Bonkers, Sorry, Trivial Pursuit, Trouble, and UpWords. Dad would always use crazy voices when it was his turn, and had us alternatively rolling around on the floor laughing and rolling our eyes and calling him a dork.

Good times, good times.

5. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I loved scrabble, my mom was usually the winner of most games but I'd give her a run for her money with scrabble and chess. I remember playing my exs mom in scrabble and she was quite upset when I owned her... she was a really good player but compared to me, she was a rookie... I think my mom supported anything education but risk was where it was at.... so many family fights but I wouldn't trade it for anything

6. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

All family events and holidays always ended with everyone playing games. Taboo, Charades, Pictionary, Bunko were all favorites in te bigger crowds.

Growing up Sunday was card day at Grandma's when we were visiting. They played Wisk and Spades religiously, and there was no fooling around while you were playing those games.

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I wasn't raised with a game system. Well, that's not true. I had an academically-oriented game system called the Socrates, but it was mostly for playing by myself.

I have some great memories of playing Trivial Pursuit with my family growing up. I suppose this first fostered my love of trivia. My mom and I used to regularly play gin rummy together. However, my favorite family game memory isn't one of my own family, but of my husband's family. My father-in-law's family loves to play Apples to Apples when we all get together, and my husband's grandma gets really, really funny, almost as if she's been drinking. She's a teetotaler, so that's impossible, and so it is doubly hilarious. The first time we played, it took some convincing to get Grandma involved. The second time we were all at the beach, Grandma wouldn't stop talking about how much she was looking forward to Apples to Apples. :)

8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

There must be something about grandmothers and Apples to Apples...my grandma is HILARIOUS when we all play. Half her card choices make absolutely no sense, but then she comes up with some weird explanation as to WHY it makes sense, and usually has the rest of the family completely cracking up at that point.

Now that I think about it, my extended family always ends up playing games at holiday gatherings. Either a board game that someone's gotten as a gift, or a video game like Rock Band or Guitar Hero. The band games always get some awesome cousin-bonding going on. "You like Aerosmith? That rocks!"

9. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

My biggest "gaming" memory with my family was playing Ice Hockey on the NES against my dad.

10. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Growing up, it was always Euchre (or 500). 6 handed games with my dad's parents. It was *always* played when the whole family got together. We also played a fair bit of monopoly and scrabble.

11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Dominoes were big around here, usually 42. Risk was always fun until tempers started to fly, then it was definitely war.
    Monopoly and Scrabble were/are staples in every get-together.

Most of my nephew's are into that Bey-Blade stuff. It's fun to watch them battle it out.
    Us old folks'll stick to board games and cards.