1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Food specialties in your geographical area...

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by streak_56, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Conch fritters, maybe? Stone crab? Key lime pie? No Florida "specialties" require much skill or complexity. Please don't make me explain why.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Why?

:p

Texas is a huge state. I suppose the food specialties we're most known for are BBQ & Tex-Mex.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  3. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

Various marine species.

4. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Corn. Fed. Beef.

• Like Like x 4
  5. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I believe here in the Midwest it's chicken fried steak

6. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Speaking as a native Californian living in the Midwest, there is a staggering amount of sucky produce here. The exceptions are sweet corn, apples, pears, blueberries, sour/tart cherries. Everything else grown locally ranges from moderately decent if you can get it very fresh at a farmer's market, to meh if you get it at a Whole Foods type store to very bad if at a regular supermarket.

What you can find here in relative abundance is excellent cheese. There are small dairies and creameries everywhere, and I was truly shocked by how fine some of the offerings are. Not just the usual suspects-- you can find a pretty good cheddar almost anywhere you go, and almost as often a decent gouda or baby swiss-- but if you go to a good cheesemonger, or go to a farmer's market where a cheesemaker sells (which seems to be most of them), you can find fantastic cheeses in the style of gruyeres, bries, taleggios, robiolas, comtes, tommes, and who knows what else. And some of the really old cheddars-- five, seven, ten years old-- are easily as good as anything I've tasted from Britain.

These are much more of interest to me than most of the specialties of cooked food the Chicago area is known for. Deep dish pizza is okay, I guess, but I'll take New York style any day, no question. And then most of the other stuff you either just can't find kosher-- Italian beef sandwiches, Chicago-style hot dogs, etc.-- or they're Polish or Ukrainian, which basically means they're pork stuffed with a little pork with a side of pork and a delicate drizzling of pork sauce, garnished with a fresh sprig of pork.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

These days, that describes nearly all beef.

8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Not the beef that enters my home.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Yeah, grass-fed FTW. Way tastier than corn-fed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Charlatan

Traditionally beef was grass fed and corn finished. The final week or so of being corn-fed resulted in great marbling.

It wasn't nearly as cruel and environmentally damaging as our current industrial corn only system.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The beef I currently buy from my friend is done like that. Grass fed until the last 60-90 days. The 100% grass fed made for good ground beef. But the steaks were not marbled nearly enough. Thus the corn finish.

12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

There is a fair amount of range fed (grass fed is somewhat of a misnomer) beef cattle in the midwest and plains. Bison and lamb as well. A lot of it is sold and consumed locally.
    Properly managed pastureland is also very environmentally friendly. An acre of pasture can convert more CO2 to O2 than an acre of forest woodland.

Interesting fact: Corn feeding and the whole "feedlot" system, that we now take for granted, came to the fore during WWII The rational was not to produce more marbled beef, but because it was much less labor intensive. Free range cattle used to be tended by thousands of cowboys riding thousands of horses. Bringing the cattle home from the range to a feedlot freed up thousands of cowboys to serve in the military or work in defense plants. Many working horses were slaughtered and turned into dog food and military rations. Just kidding about the military rations.:rolleyes: I think. The forage not consumed by all those horses could be eaten by beef cattle.

13. Charlatan

The feedlots expanded on the back of the massive amounts of corn produced because of the corn subsidy. That subsidy was (more or less) created as part of the Farm Bill in the early 70s by Nixon's government.