1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Frank Zappa FUNKY NOTHINGNESS

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by A Voice Of Reason, Sep 30, 2023.

1. I am whatever is between a casual and rapid Zappa fan. Of the 62 albums he released in his lifetime, I've owned probably 25 and heard at least 15 more. Since he passed away 30 years ago, the Zappa Family Trust (ZFT) has released 64 more album; I've not bothered with many of them, because there are a lot of live releases (PHILLY '76, CHICAGO '78) and outtakes from albums I wasn't that impressed with.

This summer, ZFT issued FUNKY NOTHINGNESS, which came out in a 2 LP/3 CD version. If I understand it correctly, the LPs are based on a album that Zappa had begun to assemble in 1969 or 1970 and then shelved when he started working with Flo and Eddie. (That LP is on the first CD; the other two are outtakes from the sessions for the album that wasn't released.) I don't remember how I ever read about it coming out, but something caused me to think it was going to be worth a listen, so I played it on Spotify and YouTube.

And then I played it again. And again.

Were I asked today to compile a list of my top 10 Zappa albums, this would make the cut; I might even put it in the top five with JOE'S GARAGE, APOSTROPHE, WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY and SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR.

So, if you've ever been moderately interested in Zappa's music and haven't already checked this out, I strongly recommend this.

And if you can't take recommendations from strangers on the Internet, what's this world coming to?

AVOR

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1