1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Further pushing of "religion"

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by pan6467, Mar 22, 2012.

1. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

So I am watching tv and I see a (what is it) Veggie Tales commercial come on (which is a religious cartoon series for kids), they are telling the Robin Hood (they call it "Robin Good and His Not so Merry Men") story advertised as saying, "Robin arranges a fundraiser for the rich to donate to the poor". That's not quite the true story.

And while I have no problem with religion and having their own entertainment base, I find it funny that they would release this at a time of OWS.

It also brings to light that with the true story, myth, whatever you want to call it, class warfare is not something new (as the GOP would have you believe), Class warfare has existed pretty much from the beginning of recorded history.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You don't say...

It's an interesting take on the Robin Hood myth. Though it quite rather eviscerates it by switching the focus from the plights of the dispossessed, exploited, and destitute to the goodwill of the rich. So who are the real heroes in this retelling? The rich and their charity, or Robin Good and his...organizational skills...?

Remember that one of the main goals of religion is to teach what sorts of behaviours are moral and good. In this case, the idea seems to be that if one wishes to help the poor, they should convince the rich why it's a good idea. And it might take some fundraising skills.... Or something.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Just don't involve the government.

I can only imagine some of these ripe little minds saying to their parents after the show. "Mommy and Daddy, we've got lots of money. How come we're not giving any of it to all the poor families?"

4. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Just for the record, "Veggie Tales" is not religion. It's fundamentalist propaganda. Religion does not equal fundamentalism.

On a totally different tack, having taken a course in the Robin Hood mythos in college, can I just say, "Oy yoy yoy...." Talk about crapping on an awesome legend....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joniemack

Just for the record, you are correct. Fundamentalism is a disease of the mind which either religion or reason may hope to heal. Unfortunately, fundamentalism, like narcissism, has no apparent cure.

6. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

I looked it up more and there are all kinds of "reviews" online about how great it was that Robin prayed and asked for God's guidance while his friends went out to seek revenge on the evil prince. How great this was in teaching kids they should trust what God and the Bible tell them to do in situations like this.

It is definitely Christian fundamentalism at its worst or so it sounds. What happens when these kids see the true legend of Robin Hood as they grow up? I'd like to believe Joniemack when she says this:

However, knowing the greed and self righteousness of Christian Fundamentalists, the response from the parents would more likely be, "That's why we pay taxes. So lazy people can get for free what we work hard for. " Followed by some choice expletives and degrading names.

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Interesting read on this.
    The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell

It's also a six part television documentary broadcast on PBS as "Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth".
    Now this I loved...and in conjunction with my own research...and friendship with Yale's Dean of Theology,
    showed that this has been happening throughout the millenia.

Abstracts, concepts and valuesets one after another being told again and again...
    Transforming...blending...sometimes lost...sometimes absorbed...sometime leveraged.

There is reality, there is truth, there is perception, there is "history", there is "myth"
    Which is what???

While I don't believe that we'll ever figure out a way to physically go back in time.
    I do wish there was some way to literally OBSERVE the past, to see reality...what actually happened.

But even this is contextual, you'll never know WHY they did it...what was affecting them, their decisions & actions.

And even if we did...could you change people's minds about it?

Sometimes I think, even if God came literally down...and attempted to change a people's mind, explaining everything,
    but without directly changing it...they would still say...nope, didn't happen, you're wrong.

In the end, you can only present
    And hopefully you can get buy in
    And hopefully you can get them to use it.

Funny thing is...other people have an agenda too...something they want to sell.

And people wonder why I'm tired all the time thinking about all this shit...
    Friggin' analyze EVERYTHING :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joniemack

You're not alone. :D

9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

A line from me in another thread, noting the pushing of religion...
    And another set of idiots doing it to their OWN church members & children, supposedly trying to "teach about religious persecution"
    http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Staged-abduction-at-youth-group-meeting-leaves/32sF2v9FAkul6G68Mws4Kg.cspx

It's like my mom always said, "It's no use being an asshole unless you can prove it..."