1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Ga voter law

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ralphie250, Apr 2, 2021.

1. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Of course not.
    But then at that time in history none of us had ever seen a sitting President and a majority of his party in Congress refuse to accept the results of an election.
    Now that we have seen the Republican Party take that step these issues come to the forefront.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Basically @ralphie250 what most I see saying here.
    Is that for the sake of open Democracy, they'd like to make things so it's EASIER to vote.
    And the fact, it's VERY rare to have fraud.

Some examples:
    • Give the vote automatically to all citizens
    • If you're not in jail, you can vote.
    • Automatically send ballots for mail in voting to all to make it easier. IF they want to send it in. (the government does this for many things already)
    • Some type of proof would be good, but not necessarily an ID
    • Give plenty of time to receive votes. (AND count them)
    Personally,
    I'd like the day to be a holiday.
    Make it all weekend (for the long weekend)
    And allow computer voting (it's going there anyway...sooner or later...just got to assure security)

And honestly, I'd like the media to be banned from talking about it DURING the vote. (heck, they affect the vote a lot more with their polls and predictions...than ANY real level of fraud)
    It is NOT a horse race. Too important. And they've been wrong.

But, I think what many are seeing a pattern of the GOP trying to make it HARDER to vote.
    What they're asking is WHY???
    If there's very little fraud...if at all. (which usually turns out to be GOP, btw)

IF the GOP is confident in its ideas and candidates...then shouldn't it want everyone to vote?? (and to make it as easy as possible...)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I just have a hard time understanding how someone does not have any kind of state issued ID.
    Dont matter a persons age, race, or sex or whatever. Eveyone needs one
    The law says that any kind of ID works.

4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I'm curious about "any kind".
    Some states have taken student ID's even though they have pictures off that list.
    Like I said in Texas a gun license is okay but a social security card isn't.
    This is all very tricky.

And it's not completely true about needing them.
    I know people who live off the grid, they don't vote mind you, that don't use ID for anything.
    There are also older folks who don't go out much who don't need them much either.

5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I helped my father get a Colorado state ID at the age of 91. It was seriously difficult and he couldn't have done it without 20 hrs or so of my help. He needed an certified, embossed copy of his birth certificate (try getting that for a 91 yr old), bills in his name at the current address (he was living with my sister and had no bills), as well as his revoked drivers license and an affidavit from me. It took 3 separate trips to the DMV with all that entails( CO does state IDs at the DMV).

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

WHAT IDS ARE ACCEPTABLE?
    • Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a free ID Card issued by your county registrar's office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
    • A Georgia Driver's License, even if expired
    • Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
    • Valid U.S. passport ID
    • Valid U.S. military photo ID
    • Valid tribal photo ID
    To receive a voter identification card, the voter must provide:
    A photo identity document or approved non-photo identity document that includes full legal name and date of birth
    Documentation showing the voter's date of birth
    Evidence that the applicant is a registered voter
    Documentation showing the applicant's name and residential address

7. redux

redux Very Tilted

The voter ID requirement in Georgia is not new.

What is new is expanded that ID requirement to absentee or mail-in ballots.

Across the country, more citizens voted by mail-in ballots last year as a result of the pandemic than previous elections and Georgia, being one of the most contested states, saw this as an opportunity to make voting by mail more difficult.

This particularly impacts more infirmed and home-bound individuals who dont drive (thus no licence), dont travel abroad (thus, no passport), may not have bills with their name/address (as a result of living with relatives) , etc. And, by most accounts, older minorities may be impacted more than others.

Again, it is imposing a solution for a problem that does not exist (i.e. widespread mail-in voter fraud) because the Republican legislature believes it may benefit Republican candidates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

A related thought:

The tighter voting laws indirectly gives some after the fact support to Trump's unproven claims that the 2020 election was stolen. The states in question claimed no evidence of widespread voting fraud was found and what extremely little fraud they found did not affect the results. Yet now they claim the tighter laws are to reduce the chance of voting fraud. Some small minds will think, "See, there WAS something fishy going on."

9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

There are many elderly and immobile people who don't have anyone to help them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. redux

redux Very Tilted

View: https://twitter.com/SamNewton/status/1379853369897066497

So you cant bring a bottle of water or a snack to a family member or friend standing in line for five hours or more to vote (like many black precincts in GA) but those in line, many of whom are hourly workers and losing wages while in line, can order from Uber Eats! :eek:

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Fucking people who come from an entirely different world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kramus

kramus what I might see

curious to see the court action when folks organize Uber Eats contracts to supply necessities to voters.

• Like Like x 1