1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

[Gallery of Interest] Masked Marauders

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Jetée, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

What's Past is Prologue
    - - - - -

[​IMG]
    Carnavalsoptocht

attached caption:
    Nationaal Archief / Spaarnestad Photo, SFA005000706
    Carnavalsoptocht: als dieren uitgedoste feestgangers, zittend op een mallejan. Jaren '30.
    Mardi Gras in the Netherlands. Partygoers dressed up as animals, sitting on a 'mallejan'.
    Date unknown.
    Collectie Spaarnestad

-- curation provided by the Nationaal Archief of the Netherlands and Spaarnestad Photo.

- - - - -
    Noted Disclaimer:
    In case it need be said, this is a safe-for-work venture, in the same way that all of my predecessor 'rolling galleries' have been set as such, and I intend to keep to that aim. Please respect that this collective, of which you may or not wish to participate in, should and can be viewed be all members of the forum at their leisure, and in a formal / public setting, without being exposed to criticisms and/or crass imagery. I'm rarely one to inhibit some one's personal predilections, but if you feel the inkling to share some skin in this topic, please try as best as you can to fulfill that urge elsewhere. I thank you for your understanding, I appreciate any and most viewership, participation, and commentary, and I sincerely hope that you will come to visit this theme's undertaking on a regular basis as it is updated with future content for your personal enjoyment.
    Thus is my aim - this is the goal.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

3. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Eames: The Architect and the Painter
    Directors: Jason Cohn, Bill Jersey
    2011 [* -]

4. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    During the Cambodian incursion protests, demonstrators threw tear gas back at police on UC Berkeley campus.
    Berkeley, California, USA - Photo by: Stephen Shames (c) 1971

more...

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

In response:

[​IMG]
    May Day, 2012 - (Photo: Lucy Nicholson/Reuters)

Above, a protester holds a Guy Fawkes (V for Vendetta-styled) masked teddy bear during
    May Day demonstrations in Los Angeles. Below, more photos from demonstrations
    around the world on May 1st (Canada, Germany, Spain, Colombia, Costa Rica, Honduras, and more)
    in support of workers' rights and economic justice.

-- a photo gallery published on BoingBoing.net

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    author's comments: some portraits I shot today (Sat., Oct. 8 of '11) of people at
    city hall (in Los Angeles, as part of the Occupy Protests). -- Photos by Noé Montes

[boingboing.]

8. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Kotsuis and Hohhuq - Nakoaktok || Inuit Masks

verbatim:
    and more...
    Medium: Photogravure

Culture: American Indian

Date: Prior to 1930

Persistent URL: Discontinued Website | Smithsonian Institution Archives

Repository: Smithsonian Institution Libraries

Collection: The North American Indian Photography of Edward Curtis - Edward S. Curtis, a professional photographer in Seattle, devoted his life to documenting what was perceived to be a vanishing race. His monumental publication The North American Indian presented to the public an extensive ethnographical study of numerous tribes, and his photographs remain memorable icons of the American Indian. The Smithsonian Libraries holds a complete set of this work, which includes photogravures on tissue, donated by Mrs. Edward H. Harriman, whose husband had conducted an expedition to Alaska with Curtis in 1899.

Accession number: SIL7-058-19

[marieaunet.]

9. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

10. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    "Boys in Car, Halloween" - by Peter Hujar, 1978, Howard Yezersky Gallery [* -]

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  11. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Subject: wrestler (luchador) Event: Pan American Games (countdown clock) Place: Guadalajara, Mexico Photo by: Alejandro Acosta/Reuters

[WSJ.]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Photo above: from A Pictorial History of Wrestling by Graeme Kent, 1968.

[designobserver.]

13. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

14. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    UnderMan - UnderCover by Jun Takahashi (curiously, I think this falls under fashion?)

[ithunter.]

15. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Kate Upton behind-the-scenes outtake of her bodypainting preparation. (I don't feel like finding out if this was for '11 or '12 shoot.)

The result.

16. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

I really hate pulling this one image from its source posting, (which I'll be posting shortly) but it is just too good to be left alone.
    I will be embarking upon finding the author/fotog and/or context to this photo at :08 past the hour.

[​IMG]

Huh. took me all of a minute (or two). The context. A little more reading, if you like a good backstory. No luck, really, on finding the person who snapped it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  17. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

18. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

19. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Girls and Masks (a gallery of interest) - Photography by Ben Hopper.

- - -
    + bonus

[​IMG]
    Feature on Bizarre Magazine.
    September 2010. Issue 166

- - - - -
    --to note: A post product of the regular re-occurring ribaldry that is known as fanservice! (Fridays).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  20. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Meet Trea
    Berry. [* -]

- - - - -
    --to note: A post product of the regular re-occurring ribaldry that is known as fanservice! (Wednesdays).