1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

[Gallery of Interest] TFP Aquarium

Discussion in 'Found on the Net' started by Jetée, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    An idea and a collection to showcase all the weirdies and wonders that dwell beneath the waves.
    Jump into the pool, & (if you care to look) Enjoy.

[martinklasch.]
    - - - - -
    -- to note: initial idea for topic creation - 20100415 (detailed)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Mantas of the Maldives - The underwater photography of Warren Baverstock.

Baverstock's Bio...
    Warren Baverstock is one of the most recognised underwater photographers of the Middle East located in the United Arab Emirates.

As aquarium curator of the world’s most luxurious hotel, The Burj Al Arab, Warren's passion for marine life is brought to the surface and exhibited for all to see in three stunningly well stocked aquarium exhibits. Behind the scenes, Warren and his team are heavily committed to many research projects including their leopard shark parthenogenesis research programme where the team have successfully reared pups past 100 days.

Heavily committed to the marine environment Warren manages the region's only Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Project working along side the Wildlife Protection Office in Dubai. Overseeing both rehabilitation facilities both at the Burj Al Arab and the Mina A' Salam Hotel, Warren and the team have successfully rehabilitated and released over 120 sea turtles. The team also boasts the second longest recorded sea turtle journey - a whopping 8600km from the UAE to the coast of Thailand.

Warren has been involved with a number of projects within the region such as the popular television documentary "Arabia's Cycle of Life" and the more recent and ongoing "Sharkquest Arabia". Warren's work has been featured in three book publications to date, Arabian Seas - Divers Paradise, Arabia's Cycle of Life and the Jordan's Gardens of Light.

3. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Photography by Andrea Tonesi (Buenos Aires) {clicken to enlargen}

above geographic details: as seen at the Donostia / San Sebastián Aquarium, in Basque Country, Spain. [* -]

4. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Surrounded - Photography by Nobert Probst (Nuremberg, Germany)

author's comments:
    My wife and dive buddy Johanna is surrounded by a huge shoal of Bigeye Travallies (Caranx sexfasciatus).

5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    World Trip - designed by Takuro Yamamoto Architects (Tokyo)

author's comments:
    "world trip" is a glass goldfish basin which has shape of the world map. you can enjoy world wide trip and adventure with goldfishes.

- - -

[gizmodo.]

7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    A drawing of Jules Verne on the sea floor with fantastic sea creatures.
    "Gathering from the best sources authentic information about underwater world".
    Cover of "L'Algerie" Magazine - 15 June, 1884.
    Artist: J. Chape.

[wiki.]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  8. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    A shark gives a diver a high-five!
    Eli Martinez was interacting with the lemon shark in the balmy waters off
    the coast of The Bahamas. Eli, who works as the editor of Shark Diving magazine, said: “This particular shark I
    had encountered before. She is very laid-back so I knew if I held my hand out she would come over. At first she
    was swimming straight towards me, but I didn’t expect her to turn at the last moment. 'Taxi' tapped my palm
    with her fin like we were high-five-ing.”
    --(Photo: Paul Spielvogel / CATERS NEWS)

[adayby.]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    the strangest thing....
    by Lauren K (Melbourne)

author's comments:
    my brother and i found one of these guys floating in a rockpool the other day, looking for all the world like a little blue chinese dragon.
    i'd never seen anything like it and i had absolutely no idea what it was at first. but i applied my considerable (ahem) natural history
    talents and came up with an answer - turns out it IS a
    blue dragon, a pelagic sea slug which floats about the ocean on its
    back (that's it's belly and foot you're looking at) feeding on blue bottles. so very cool, is it not?

more here:
    Glaucus atlanticus

[otherside.]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  10. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

11. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

12. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Lady of the Deep by Jacques de Vos (Cape Town)

author's comments:
    Record Italian freediver Linda Paganelli, ascending in front of one of the caves in the Ras Mohammed National Park just south of Sharm el-Sheikh.

This cave when viewed from inside revealed the silhouette of lady from the Victorian era. Look closely...she is wearing a wide dress, a hat and has one arm on her hip (the other holding a purse).

Ras Mohammad national park is considered to be one of the best dive locations in the world. It is situated at the southern most tip of the Sinai Peninsula, with the Gulf of Suez on the west and the Gulf of Aqaba to the east.

PS: Shot taken while freediving (photography one one breath)

[turquoiselollipops.] + [NGM.]

13. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    Monterey aquarium by James Hays

- - - - -
    # Tuesdays are for TYKES?

14. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  15. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Australian ecologist Roger Bradbury has recently asserted that coral reefs are doomed,
    living-dead, “zombie ecosystems” that will inevitably—and soon—utterly collapse under
    the multiple fatal blows of overfishing, pollution and the ocean acidification and warming
    resulting from the global buildup of carbon dioxide. (See his recent New York Times op-ed online,
    A World Without Coral Reefs” ).

[​IMG]
    Carl Safina and Robert Steneck survey a recovering Pacific reef in Palau.
    -- Photo credit: Suzanne Arnold.

READ MORE: “Life Finds a Way, But Needs Our Help”, courtesy of Utne.com's Realizing the Vision blog.

[carlsafina.]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

25 Years

Discovery's Shark Week

[​IMG]
    A great hammerhead shark in the northern Bahamas. The hammerhead's peculiar, flattened
    head is called a "cephalofoil." It's not entirely clear why the shark's head is shaped this way.
    One possible reason is that it spreads the shark's sensory organs out, enhancing the shark's
    senses of smell and electroreception. The winglike head may also help with lift and maneuverability in the water.