1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Jul 26, 2011.

1. fill23ca

fill23ca Vertical

Great books and I'm overall pleased with the series up to now. A few minor issues but not enough to complain.

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm about a third of the way through the most recent book. Honestly, they can be a bit of a slog at times (especially when someone eats -- yes, Mr. Martin, you like food, we get it) but they're definitely worth it.

I can't imagine watching the tv show without reading the book. It's hard enough to keep track of when you're able to refer back to that bit character three chapters ago who suddenly became important.

3. I just watched episode 1. Besides the books, which I will never have time to read; How much better does it get through the season?

4. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

It gets so good, you will lose your head over it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I liked the first book, but am now about 1/4 way through Clash of Kings and struggling to get into it.

I think the thing that most impressed me was the mixture of the whole fantasy genre (which I like) with a relatively realistic and ambigious characterisation (ie - there arent really any "good guys" and "bad guys", although some are better than others)

I still despise Catelyn Stark, more than ever now I think

I think Daeny has become my favourite character over Sandor by a bit now.

6. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

My favorite characters so far (I haven't read the latest book) are Tyrion and Jaime Lannister. To me, they are more "ambiguous" than most of the others.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I guess Tyrion is sympathetic, but his constant wise cracking and ironic humour kind of grates on me a bit.

As for Jaime... dont know.

8. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

Tyrion can be a bit self-pitying, but I still like him. I also like him in the television series - Peter Dinklage can do no wrong.
    Jamie is almost entirely unsympathetic, but I liked him more and more as the series progressed, especially his interactions with Brienne. The Lannisters are my favorites - I even like Cersei.

9. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Really? You like Cersei? I mean, I can understand pitying her, since she becomes increasingly pathetic as the series goes on, but I don't understand at all how you could like her.

By the end of Feast I definitely LIKE Jaime, though. He has an excellent character arc through the series so far.

10. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I like Jaime and Tyrion more than Cersei. Cersei is underdeveloped compared to the other two, but I like all of Lannisters, including Cersei. To me, they are all more "ambiguously characterized" (as SF put it) than most of the other characters/families.

11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The more I read on, the more pathetic Cersei reveals herself to be. Her only redeeming quality is her unyielding sense of survival as a woman in a man's world, but her morals are reprehensible. Her twin isn't that much better to begin with, but as time passes, he reveals more attractive qualities.

12. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

Well, I wouldn't want to be friends with her, but she's an interesting, active, female character. :)

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Better to be a friend of hers than an enemy.

At least she sleeps with her friends.
    ^--- Probably not a spoiler, but whatever.

14. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Hey I've got a question for those of you who have read most or all of the series...

How do you see it ending? And I don't mean it so much in specific terms so much as I wonder whether we will get everything neatly wrapped up, with all the characters getting their rewards/comeuppance, as they do in Harry Potter (kind of an inevitable comparison).

Perhaps I'm a fool to demand anything of Martin, but he will have to write some sort of conclusion. For my money, here is a broad theory of the ending:

Dany will return to Westeros, having mastered her dragons, and they will go up against the Others. Maybe the wall will get melted by Drogon. The series is called a song of Ice and Fire... it would make poetic sense for these two elements to go head to head.

15. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Every character any fan has ever expressed interest in dies suddenly and violently, and Hodor takes the Iron Throne for himself.

• Like Like x 3
  16. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

The food wins in the end.

OR

Wun wun opens a vegan restaurant called "a Feast for Crows", which spurs Martin to write a vegan cookbook as book 8, titled: The Time of Tempeh.

17. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My friend has the latest book and I'm just waiting to have time to read it. I'm going to ask her if I can take it on vacation next week.

I love the show. It's so well done. I am glad that HBO did it--they have the budget and the time to tell the story the way it should be told. We got more than a few friends hooked on it this spring, and everyone is antsy for the next season. It also got some of my friends reading the books.

18. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Rickon. Rickon will win EVERYTHING.

19. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Also, Arya. Arya will be the great Deus Ex Machina that sets everything to rights. At least with the humans. Daenerys will deal with the Others

• Like Like x 1
  20. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

Rickon vs. Tommen with whiffle bats.