1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

Much like life in the English regal families!

2. Xazy Vertical

I just found a very funny yet kind of accurate description breaking down all the female characters in the series.

Here is the verdict.
    You can find the whole break down over here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Interesting snapshot, Xazy. I knew I have been harbouring discontent about Martin's treatment of female characters, but this really brings it to the fore as a stark summary.

Now add onto that his consistent mention/description of breasts. I'm not sure if it happens every chapter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

People could easily say, "Well, it's gritty realism!" Sure...but many novels have gritty realism. But they also have redeeming qualities or revelations. I'm having trouble spotting these in Martin's books. Sometimes a blip will come up on my radar in some of the characters, but then it gets snuffed out when "reality" kicks in again. Besides, I thought this was classified as fantasy.

I find Martin has difficulty delineating between the characters from the narrative. It feels as though it's all just him—different shades of him, and it gets all muddled.

4. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

In turn, you can find an intelligent, well-written rebuttal to that drive-by over here.

This summary hits home how I feel about the whole "George R. R. Martin is a misogynist" business:

5. Baraka_Guru

An interesting response but ultimately unsatisfying because it doesn't address the rampant issue of many of Martin's female characterizations being built around their breasts (and often their willingness or reluctance of have lots of sex).

6. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

This is an interesting interpretation, and one I hadn't considered. Although, I find the whole furore over sexism/violence against women in the books absurd to begin with, mainly because it glosses over the numerous examples of sexual violence against men (unsullied, that Maester who is the "butt boy" for Victarion's crew, that septon with the Brave Companions, etc etc ad nauseum). I also found it caught me off guard to begin with, partly because I don't tend to submit things I read to a feminist lens. I found Alyssa Rosenberg's response satisfying because it reinforces my belief that the whole affair acts as an excellent springboard to discuss male patriarchy in society, as well as sexual violence against all genders in times of war. It is most definitely fantasy rooted in a factual historical setting of male dominance, and jumps back and forth in ways that make the reader think, "Hey, this sounds familiar..."

This is how I digest the controversy, if you think otherwise that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I just think these arguments are selective. I do agree with you though, the whole thing does get muddled, mainly because GRRM is such a verbose writer who really needed to get beaten over the head and shoulders by a harsh editor.

7. Baraka_Guru

Well, I don't take issue with the fact that this stuff happens to females in Martin's world, in his literature. What I'm concerned about is that there are no developments that suggest a process of redeeming these issues. No personal development, no social advancement. It's as though Martin's message is, this is a cold, dark world and no one cares two shits about anything but survival and revenge.

Martin's world seems little more than nihilistic. The female aspect of that means that the sexism Martin portrays ultimately wins out because, hey, this world is dark, it's gritty, and you can't expect a knight in shining armour to gallop out of the murky mists, gleaming sword in hand, or a fiery warrior woman to rise from the ashes of her victimhood to slay her violators. Life has no meaning beyond survival and revenge.

Forgive me though. I'm on p. 700 of Dragons. (Yes, I'm slogging through it.) Maybe something does happen. But if his other books are any indication, I'm not going to hold my breath.

In the end, it seems his characters have no real autonomy. They seem to be people who, rather than be as actors on a stage of life, are people to which things merely happen---and it's up to them to just deal with it, usually, in the end, as a means to keep on living in a world with little real meaning.

Martin has had many pages to infuse even the smallest hints at this potential for meaning, but either they aren't there or they're too subtle for me to pick up on. It's more his style to bash readers over the head with surprise twists and cliffhangers (often both simultaneously). Maybe that's how he intends to shift when he considers wrapping up this gargantuan convoluted story.

The potential is there. But, again, I'm not going to hold my breath.

8. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

I think that's a grotesquely biased and unfair approach to Martin's literature, because it makes it seem like he's somehow exalting in the sexual or gender-based violence. He's not. He is VERY interested in sex, sexuality and sexual politics. I certainly won't contest that. Nor would I suggest that he doesn't bring up breasts a lot, though it's far more frequent with some characters than with others. For example, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a place where Arya's physique was brought up, or where sex or sexuality has at all been at primary issue. With Dany, on the other hand, it's incredibly tied in to her story, her character and her character arc, so it comes up a lot. She also is in cultures where nudity is more relaxed than in Westeros proper, so there's a lot of instances where he's given himself the opportunity to talk about it.

Not that I'm a historian or something, but I don't think the Middle Ages was a very nice time to live, and for women who lived during times of war, I would not be surprised if rape was astonishingly common. For another example, check out the very well received historical fiction written by Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End. They take place in real England, obviously, as opposed to Martin's heavily fictionalized England, but I'm pretty sure sexual violence is inflicted upon basically every female character in that series, as well. That doesn't make Follett an inhuman monster with backwards views on sexual politics any more so than it makes Martin, it just means that there was a lot of sexual violence in the setting in which they're writing. Going further than that is looking for an agenda that doesn't exist.

That's not to say that I don't agree with you to some extent, Baraka, especially in Feast and Dance. Martin is spinning his wheels, severely in some instances (other than
    Drogon's return
    Dany's entire story in Dance is a waste of time and ink, because literally nothing changes in her story; Tyrion's is pretty wheel-spinny as well; and then we have Doran Martell's story which
    is completely invalidated by the fact that he dies at the end!
    ). On the other hand, Arya's story moved forward in some very interesting ways, as did Theon's, Asha's, Bran's and Jon's (although I guess Melisandra's moved more forwards more than Jon's).

In any event, I'm committed to the series and seeing where things go. I hope he pulls himself out of his rut a bit for Winds, since I'm not sure I want another book much like Dance, but we'll just have to wait and see.

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

With the series launch here only last week, I am about to sink into episode three tonight.

(thankfully they premiere two episodes a week)

10. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

You're gonna love it Charlatan!

I'm right near the end of book 3, need to get book 4 uploaded to the ipod.

11. Baraka_Guru

Here's another updated roundup of the Season 2 cast, including the recent casting of Ygritte by an actress who herself has been "kissed by fire."

I must say this cast is looking pretty good. Let's hope they pull it off like they did in Season 1.

Game of Thrones: Who's Who in Season 2 — IGN

12. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

I can't wait for season 2 to begin. I'm about half way through book 5 now. Still lovin it!

13. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

My friend LOVES this show. Never watched it, though.

I saw "A Song of Ice and Fire" mentioned in Xazy's snapshot.

Is Game of Throne based on the book series?

14. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Yup. check it out online, fantastic series.

15. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Cheers, will do!

16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

heh...I still haven't watched the first season, beyond the first two eps and a few scattered clips. Lordeden got tired of me yelling at the screen :)

But...Roose Bolton and Jagen H'ghar look VERY similar to how I pictured them.

17. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Roose Bolton for sure looks to be a perfect actor. creepy motherfucker

18. Baraka_Guru

"Can I have a dead Lannister over here?"
    Overheard on the set of Game of Thrones, Season Two

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

20. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

They started filming in Iceland this morning.