1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Gold and precious metals outlook; also US dollar outlook

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ejkwt, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ejkwt

ejkwt Vertical

Well, I am nowhere near qualified or knowledgeable to comment on economics. (Like asking on the web is going to help, but at least its better than asking on 4chan).

So - what is your take on gold and precious metals. I took a peek and gold has quadrupled in value since 2004. If I had bought gold in 2004 I'd be doing pretty well now.

So.. is the gold price soaring up just a bubble? Is it going to continue that way?

While we're at it, what's the recent view on the US dollar? Its still the most stable currency, but what is its mid to long-term outlook?

2. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

I am periodically buying into the gold ETF, GLD. The folks advertising "physical gold" really push gold coins and the mark ups are too big for my tastes, not to mention storage costs or the risks of holding on to gold bars or coins. I think people have to hedge against inflation and the de-valuation of the dollar. I think the gold market is due for a correction, but who knows when, but the long-term trend is going to be up.

The dollar is still relatively the safest currency on the planet. However, I think we are at risk of re-living the stagflation of the 1970's. The 2012 elections can not come soon enough.

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

From my perspective, the folks hoarding gold are the same ones that stocked up on Y2K supplies and pre-Obama ammunition. It seems like a Chicken Little mindset, to me.

I think the odds of gold going down are much greater than it going up.

4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

the people who i listened to that say buy gold when it was 800-900-and 1000 were right. every other economist was like lol nope gold is high invest in stock market which would of ended up being a terrible investment unless you really knew what you were doing or got lucky.

the same group that i listened to when gold was at $1000 are still saying gold isn't a buble until around $2,500. also, that's at current inflation rates. more dollar printing could move the bubble up.

on the other side the government is insane and could declare gold bullion illegal or put a price ceiling on it, but i still thinks it's better to have than dollars at this point.

when countries are moving out of the dollar and buying gold what does that tell you? the dollar is a sinking ship. the trend is only going to go up at this point minus some unforeseen circumstance.

5. Aceventura

Interesting theory but it does not reflect reality:

http://cachef.ft.com/cms/s/0/8843dbb8-824a-11e0-961e-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1XxD8zNdx
    Many factors drive the price of gold. One of the most important is the growing purchasing power of the growing middle classes in china and India.

Here is another interesting article:

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/news/2011/5/pages/why-central-banks-are-buying-more-gold-.aspx

6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Maybe gold is more or less a transitional medium as the world shifts from the U.S. dollar to the Chinese yuan as the reserve currency.

Gold is commonly used as a hedge against financial worries and uncertainty. However, as Aceventura pointed out, there are other factors. Economies like China and India have had relatively low gold reserves compared to developed economies. More recently, they've been buying a lot of gold to bring their reserves up to par. This has an impact.

So the price of gold isn't all doom and gloom about currency. However, if you are all doom and gloom about currency, you should probably be buying coins/bullion and storing it at home in a safe (to save money). During the panic of 2008, gold ETFs sold off along with paper assets. Panic tends to do that: selloffs across all public markets.

So if there is a shit-has-hit-the-fan situation coming up and there is another huge selloff in the markets, don't expect your gold on paper to be all that helpful.

Buying gold on paper right now doesn't seem like a great idea. Historically, the more people you have telling you to buy something in the market, the more likely it's a bad time to buy it. The last big gold correction wasn't that long ago. It was the early '80s I think? So it can happen again and probably will.

If you're looking at a mid- to long-term investment, I've been hearing that silver is the better choice anyway. There is an actual increasing demand for silver for industrial uses.

7. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

There is a world of difference between nations and banks increasing their reserves and individuals investing.

8. Aceventura

The GLD has some issues but it is not true "paper gold". For me it is fine, it meets my needs, it does what I want at a cost I am willing to pay-this may not be true for others.

http://www.spdrgoldshares.com/

Either way people should not invest in investment vehicles or markets that they do not understand and are willing to monitor.
    --- merged: Sep 14, 2011 9:18 PM ---
    I don't understand your point. There is only one gold market. Individuals, governments, institutions, consumers, industrial users, producers, etc., all participate in the same market in a broad context of a fungible commodity like gold.

9. Baraka_Guru

If it trades in a market, it's vulnerable to panic. People aren't rational when they panic, often selling off things they don't really want to.

Even the SPLD GLD shares took a drop in 2008. By as much as 20% within the year, if I'm not mistaken. And it remained flat until the end of 2009.

10. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

With Venezuela nationalizing their gold supply, I think we will see a sharp spike in the short term, as the banks try to acquire enough gold to cover all the gold they are supposed to be holding for Venezuela.

11. ottopilot

ottopilot New Member

I only purchased tangible gold (mostly coins) as a contingency, not an investment. It's more expensive... commissions, transport, storage and/or insurance are typical costs on top of market price. I should sell the tiny bit I own while it's still on the rise (I just totaled my Cherokee).

Gold certificates (paper gold) can become instantly worthless. And who can forget Executive Order 6102? If you are wealthy enough and can afford to buy gold as a replacement to failing currencies, then you're MAYBE okay. Like the bunker-people planning for the apocalypse, they may be in for a surprise too. Gold is only valuable when everyone agrees it's valuable. Depending on how bad things could get... water, food, protection?... shiny rocks?? I'm going with shiny rocks every time.

12. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Today, from my financial adviser:

13. Aceventura

1/07 GLD was at $60.17
    1/08 GLD was at 85.13
    1/09 GLD was at 86.23
    10/08 GLD was at $71.34

In 08 there was a drop close to 20%.

If you invested $1,000 in January 08, you got 11.75 shares. January 09 that investment was worth $1013.20 (a 1.3% return). The current price is about $173. the $1,000 investment is worth $2032.75 (over a 100% return).

But i am a believer in dollar cost averaging. If you invested $250 at each of the four price points above, you would have, instead of 11.75 shares, 13.54 shares. Or today your investment would be worth $2,342.42.

If you assume a 20% correction on $2,342.42 your investment would still be worth $1,873.93.

Let's say you invest another $250 today and tomorrow we have a 20% correction. The you would have 14.98 shares, worth $2,073.93 after the additional $250 investment and the 20% correction. The ROI is $823.93 on your $1,250 investment or 65% in less than 5 years.

Heck, if there is a 20% correction, I might just go hog wild and do a $500 buy.

All that aside, the GLD did closely track with the actual price of gold.

14. Baraka_Guru

The risks are still there, regardless. Gold is gold. Gold stocks are stocks. When you hold gold, the risk factors are virtually all tied into the price of gold (security, storage, etc., aside).

With stocks, price is just one factor. Other factors are company-related and include available gold reserves, quality of management, whether there is a lot of short selling going on, etc. And let's not forget what can happen with related products such as mortgage-backed securities.

When you hold gold, you hold gold. Everything else is merely a representation of that value. One is pure, the other has several things working beneath the surface.

The risk factors are not the same.

Like I said, if one is doom and gloom about currency and is looking at gold, they should be stocking the gold itself. Gold stocks do have other uses, including as relatively stable investments for such things as, say, hedging or (as you do) dollar-cost averaging. But even stable investments are susceptible to market-wide panic, which is my initial point.

15. Aceventura

From my point of view investing in the GLD is less risky than a direct investment in "physical gold". Like I said the GLD is not for everyone.

In a true "doom and gloom" situation, you can not eat gold! Who is to say gold will have any exchange value at all? In a true "doom and gloom" scenerio perhaps bullets for one's gun will be more valuable than gold. Perhaps, it boils down to semantics. What do you mean by "doom and gloom"? I personally don't invest in gold for survival of a post apocalyptic nuclear winter, who does?

16. Baraka_Guru

I agree. I was merely pointing out the differences for the sake of perspective regarding goals. When I get a portfolio one day, a percentage will likely contain gold on paper.

No, you cannot eat gold, but that's not the intention behind stocking it for a doom and gloom situation.

Gold is the direct opposite of fiat money: it has intrinsic value instead of faith value. It has had intrinsic value for millennia. Gold having value outside of currency is nothing new. But this is elementary. Now let's speculate.

Given its intrinsic value, gold will be worth something even if all major faith-based currencies were to collapse. You can't eat gold, so food will have value also. You can't use gold as fuel, so oil and petrol have value also. You can't use gold to shelter your family, so shelter and construction materials will have value also.

Gold's value is tied into its characteristics. It's the most malleable and ductile metal in the world. It's highly resistant to corrosion. It's pretty—it's very pretty—which is why it is used to make jewelry and other adornments. It has industrial value.

In a doom and gloom situation, gold can be used as a medium of exchange. Its value won't be based on faith; it will be based on supply and demand.

Say I have a stockpile of non-perishable food items with a shelf life of 5 years. Let's say you have a stockpile of oil. You live where there is a food shortage; I live in a cold climate. The global economy is in ruins. We could barter. But what if you had no oil? If you had something like gold, I could accept that as payment for my food. I could then use the gold to buy oil somewhere else.

Since gold will maintain its intrinsic value, we are exchanging something that can be trusted. It's not a failed currency not worth the paper its printed on. Its value will depend on how much of it is available and how badly people want it (whether for storing or as a medium of exchange).

Gold would essentially be a valuable commodity despite its uselessness from a survival perspective. You might be able to use other coinage, such as silver or platinum dollars, but the fact remains: precious metals will still be precious even if the U.S. dollar one day becomes as valuable as the fraction of a cent it's worth as paper.

And I ask you this: if the shit hits the fan, is it guaranteed you will be able to cash out your gold stocks? Will you be able to just claim the gold value? You'd be lucky to be able to withdraw your cash from the bank. This is why I'm talking about storing gold with regard to currency paranoia. When things crash, gold's intrinsic value is untouched.

Gold will still be gold.

17. Aceventura

We fundamentally agree.

18. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I am one of those guys with a gold cost basis that is around $650 an ounce.
    I am comfortable with GLD as a vehicle but I definitely feel the need to hold some physical as well.
    I think the next $200 in gold is likely to be down.
    GLD is really valuable for hedging a physical position. I don't want to sell my coins when I see a correction coming but I do short sell GLD or write option spreads.

19. Aceventura

Good call. I think in the next year gold will be in a trading range where we have already seen the peak and the low. However, I think gold relative to other commodities will see continued increasing premiums as the US dollar gets stronger and commodity prices decline. What do you think?

20. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Well I have to admit that I thought the next $200-$300 would be down but I didn't think it would take only 3 days!
    My fundamental reasons for owning it have not changed; if anything they have only grown stronger.
    So I wanted to be a buyer of bullion around $1500. The ferocity of this decline makes me think I will get a shot at buying even a little lower.