1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Got arithmetic questions I need help with.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Metallica_Band, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Hi
    Doing online applications
    Want me to answer questions not even related to the position I'm applying for.

(1.) If the store purchases an item at a wholesale cost of $3.50 per item, and it is sold at a retail value of $5.00 per item. What is the gross profit percentage of the item?

Is it GP%=[(R-C)/R]*100? [(5.00-3.50)/5.00]*100? GP%=30? I think that's right. Someone double check me plz.

What about this?
    (2.) For one week at your store, employees worked 200 regular hours and 50 hours of overtime. What percent of the total hours for the week were overtime?

My brain is broken for this one.

(3.) The usual wholesale cost is $3.25 per item. A vendor sells items to your store at a special discount of 20%. What price will the store pay per item?

I know I used to be able to answer this easily when I was in school. I forget what I do.
    If I had to guess at a formula, would the answer be $2.60?

(4.) If the store purchases a product at a wholesale cost of $1.65, and it is sold at $220, what is the gross profit percentage?

Oh great, this again? Is it 25%?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Here's what I see, though I'm not math expert.

1) 30%. $1.50 margin divided by $5 price.
    2) They worked a total of 250 hours, 50 of which were OT. 50/250 = 20%.
    3) $2.60. If they are only charging you 80% of the normal price that is $3.25 times .8. Technically you take the $3.25 times .2 and subtract that from $3.25, but either way you get the same result.
    4) Is that a typo? Supposed to be sold at $2.20? If so the margin is $.55, so you take $.55 and divide it by the $2.20. 25%

3. Borla appears to be on the correct track, IMO.

My company used to do something of this sort. They had a 14 page application which included a math test that even stock handler and delivery applicants had to pass to be even considered. Happily, they've abandoned that app and gone to a simple two page informational one. If the applicant is applying for a position that requires more specific skills, they get vetted later in the process.

Welcome to TFP, @Metallica Band. Step into the light, that we all get to know each other better.

4. Yes, that looks right to me too. Your're right, I made a typo. I got the answer to #3 right, but had no idea how I got it because I forgot and I couldn't figure out how I got it in the first place so no verification. Thanks a bunch. You're an awesome mod.

I have a few questions asking me to average a list of numbers, but that's easy. Add everything and divide by how many numbers in the list.

I'm going to do these and post some more questions that I think I'll need help with.

Code:
                                   TABLE RM1

PRODUCTION #       PROD.     UNIT COST     NO. CASES    TOTAL
           43789       1         $4.05         22           $89.10
           02787       2         $4.02         10           $40.20
           03890       3         $4.29         07           $30.03
           01797       4         $3.90         02           $6.80

(1.) Your totals (in table RM1) are not equal to the vendor's totals. After ensuring the vendor's calculations are correct, you look for the error in your calculations. Which product has the error? 1/2/3/4

(2.) Based on table RM1 above, what percentage (%) of total sales (after correcting the error on table RM1) does product No. 4 represent? Round to nearest whole number.

Code:
                                             TABLE RM2

THURSDAY              FRIDAY         SATURDAY
     EMPLOYEE         IN      OUT           IN    OUT      IN      OUT         TOTAL
     Gary            8am      5pm          8am    7pm     9am      7pm
     Julie           8am      5pm          9am    2pm     8am      5pm
     Freddie        11am      8pm         10am    4pm    12pm      8pm
     Chris           9am      8pm         11am    7pm    ----      ---

(3.) Using table RM2, on which day presented on the chart did employees work most hours?

(4.) Using table RM2, which employee worked the most overtime [for this job, overtime is considered time worked over 20 hours for this time period (Thursday-Saturday)]?

Code:
                                    TABLE RM3

STORE SALES     SHIFT 1         SHIFT 2       SHIFT 3       REPORT       DIFFERENCE
           Total =/(-)     0.47            -1.79         0.35          -1.69        -0.72
     Merchandise Sales     1,215.18        1,463.03      655.91        3,334.12     0.00
      Additional Sales     927.32          977.07        402.09        2,306.48     0.00
        # of Overrings     6               9             9             24           0

(5.) Using table RM3, which shift had the most Overrings?

(6.) Using table RM3. which shift had the most Merchandise Sales?

I can answer a couple of these. Hmmm......

5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

can i be a nosey bastard and ask what kind of job you are applting for?

6. It's for a team lead position at a retail store. These questions belong more to a general manager or maybe an assistant manager position. I don't know how to answer the second question to the first table and I think both questions on the third table are trick questions somehow. The second table was easy. Can you help on the questions I don't know?

7. ralphie250

what error did you find on table 1?

8. Product #4 should total $7.80
    $3.90*2

Still stuck on the 2nd question on table 1 and both questions on table 3 :confused:

9. ralphie250

2nd question on table one should be 5% I believe. That is nearest whole number

You'll have to give me a min on the other chart. I'm at work in the middle of something

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  10. Nope, the options for table #1 is 24%, 20%, 18%, and 5%. :(

Table #3:
    (5.) Shift 1, 2, 3, 1 & 3, 2 & 3
    (6.) Shift 1, 2, 3

Did you make sure you calculated Prod. #4 total at $7.80 (since $6.80 is incorrect made clear from question #1)? It might be 18% if that's the case.

Ok, if $7.80 is the total sales for product #4 and if the total sales altogether is $167.13, isn't it asking what $7.80 is what percent of $167.13?

I got 4.67 (rounded to 5%) somehow, but I can't repeat how I got there so I can't verify. :(

AH, I GOT IT!!!
    7.8/167.13=0.0466702566864118
    0.0466702566864118*100=4.667025668641178
    That rounds to 5% which is an option. :)

Now I just need table #3 :(

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  11. ralphie250

I said 5%

12. ralphie250

I was editing when you answered.

13. Yeah, I think I was editing when you were editing too. :p

Table #3 I think is more than just looking at looking at the shifts and picking out the highest number. Do you have to take into account any of the other numbers? :confused:

14. Ah, I forgot I had this last question. I think it saved. Anyone know if this last tables two questions are trick questions or simple? That "Total =/(-)" row is throwing me off. Not sure what it is supposed to mean.